Second HRPT ever?

Started by janeshephard, July 15, 2013, 10:04:54 PM

There's no Ask the Players forum anymore... is this the second HRPT we've ever had on arm? I think I joined a few days after the last one.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

No, there have been many HRPTs.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

July 15, 2013, 10:17:35 PM #2 Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:22:08 PM by Wastrel
HRPT thread? HRPT thread.

Someone detail what has happened in previous HRPTs?  ???
(assuming its basically zalanthian history)

This was an HRPT:

1596 (Year 56 Age 21)

An earthquake strikes the whole Known, being felt everywhere and by everyone. Then, a large shape crosses the sky and seems to settle over Suk-Krath, bringing complete darkness to the world. In the darkness, moisture falls from the air, and for a brief time, rain comes to the Known.

As the darkness stretches on over days and into a week, the streets of the cities become dangerous. In Allanak, rioters set fire to buildings and lynch gemmed; in Tuluk, crime runs rampant. Nobles and templars for the most part remain huddled in safety.

At the end of a full week of darkness, the shadow lifts from Suk-Krath to take its own place in the sky as a black moon which reflects no light. Shortly, a series of further crises strikes both cities. In Tuluk, repeated waves of murky water crash in from west of the Scaien Gates, leveling Red Sun Commons, destroying many buildings, leaving thousands dead, and flooding UnderTuluk. While in Allanak, the city comes under attack from fire elementals as a volcano rises in the southwest, obliterating the critical farming villages of Menos and Taki and destroying the nearby camp of the Al'Seik tribe. In and around Luir's, creatures of stone cause death and destruction while fierce, tearing winds kick up.

In the aftermath, Allanak suffers massive, devastating starvation; Tuluk struggles to rebuild, while UnderTuluk and its people are no more. The halflings seem to be gone from the Grey Forest, and kryl and things previously unknown move in to take their place in the vastly changed landscape. The Al'Seik are nearly completely lost and must take up residence in the tents of the Arabet. And it is rumored that even in the alleys of the Labyrinth, changes were seen after the dark.

So was this, IIRC:

1579 (Year 39 Age 21)

An army of gith holds Allanak in an extended period of loose seige, using the citystate's extensive sewer system to infiltrate the city from beneath the ground. An organized defense effort consisting of the Arm of the Dragon, the T'zai Byn, and the Great Merchant Houses beats back the majority of gith forces within the city. A large portion of the gith threat claims the Borsail estate, however, despite House Tor's concentrated defense of the noble's quarter. The farming villages, responsible for much of the city's grain production, are attacked at roughly the same time, though the gith hoarde is defeated with a counterattack, led by Lord Templar Samos Rennik. The besieged Borsail estate, declared to be treacherous, is sunk into a pit of lava shortly thereafter by the Black Robe Tarith Kasix, effectively ending the gith threat.

There's been what, 5 or 6?
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

I'm pretty sure the seige/fall of Tuluk was an HRPT, right? Also the mantis invasion of Luir's and the retaking. The Copper War was an HRPT as well.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on July 15, 2013, 10:45:17 PM
I'm pretty sure the seige/fall of Tuluk was an HRPT, right? Also the mantis invasion of Luir's and the retaking. The Copper War was an HRPT as well.

Yea, the fall of Tuluk and the retaking was too, right? Because the Rebels gathered and planned. I recall stories about this/ that.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on July 15, 2013, 10:45:17 PM

I was at 2 of those.

The Fall of Luir's: It was about my first Bynner (when I had played before, there was AFAIK, no Byn) and I was like "Luir's wtf? Where am I?" And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

I remember one of the troopers got thrown about three rooms by a [redac]illot. (Sorry, JdM)
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

The Gith invasion of Allanak, that was a pretty big event. I'm not sure if its labeled HRPT.

I remember one of the troopers got thrown about three rooms by a [redac]illot. (Sorry, JdM)

How dare you, sir.  These redaculous outrages will not stand!
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

US Sunday. Hooray for work :(

Quote from: Case on July 16, 2013, 03:33:34 AM

You know what you need to do.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on July 16, 2013, 03:37:36 AM
Quote from: Case on July 16, 2013, 03:33:34 AM

You know what you need to do.
Post a quit thread? Way ahead of you.

Do what dedicated off-peak Arm players do...Move to a peak time-zone location.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

History of HRPTs posted on Staff Announcements

November 2, 2003
May 2, 2004
June 26, 2006
December 6, 2009
July 28 2013

There may have been a couple others in there.  I'd assume the 2003 and 2004 ones are (respectively) the Occupation and Liberation, but I can't be positive without more research.  2006 would've been the Copper War.  The Githpocalypse was not an HRPT.  2009 was the debut of the black moon, and 2013 is, well, now.

For those of you lamenting that you won't be there, I'm sorry.  Hopefully you will be around afterwards, then:

Quote from: Adhira on July 15, 2013, 12:43:16 PMWe also expect that after the HRPT there will continued 'escalated' roleplay opportunities.  I'm sure that all players, across all timezones, will in some way feel an impact and benefit from the HRPT, whether they are able to attend this one event, or not.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

There were others before we switched to the last board too. The old old board
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Claiming as new SIG

I wasn't playing at the time, but I would assume the destruction of Old Tuluk (and the other worldwide events) was on the HRPT-level too.

What about the seige of Allanak and Thrain Ironsword?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Nyr on July 16, 2013, 08:37:06 AM

November 2, 2003
May 2, 2004
June 26, 2006
December 6, 2009
July 28 2013

There may have been a couple others in there.  I'd assume the 2003 and 2004 ones are (respectively) the Occupation and Liberation, but I can't be positive without more research.  2006 would've been the Copper War.  The Githpocalypse was not an HRPT.  2009 was the debut of the black moon, and 2013 is, well, now.

I think the 2003 one was the Liberation, and the 2004 one was the retaking of Luirs.  I started playing sometime in 2004 and Luirs had just been declared a bug free zone, IIRC.

Quote from: palomar on July 16, 2013, 11:23:42 AM
Quote from: Nyr on July 16, 2013, 08:37:06 AM

November 2, 2003
May 2, 2004
June 26, 2006
December 6, 2009
July 28 2013

I think the 2003 one was the Liberation, and the 2004 one was the retaking of Luirs.  I started playing sometime in 2004 and Luirs had just been declared a bug free zone, IIRC.
NextSponsored-Da should really ban any warbeetles trying to get into Luir's. Fucking chitinous buggers! THEY WONT TAKE US AGAIN!

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Thought Tuluk was freed in 2002.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

The liberation of Tuluk was shortly before I began playing in 2001.

2003 was the mantis/sorcerer stuff IIRC.

Quote from: Delirium on July 16, 2013, 11:26:18 AM
The liberation of Tuluk was shortly before I began playing in 2001.

2003 was the mantis/sorcerer stuff IIRC.

I always liked playing in Tuluk when it WAS occupied. It had a very unique feeling to it. Like a small village that people actually spent a lot of time playing in.

You know how you always wanted to play that character that lived in a Allanaki farming village? Occupied Tuluk kind of felt how that would feel, if those villages had populations of PCs.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on July 16, 2013, 11:34:52 AMYou know how you always wanted to play that character that lived in a Allanaki farming village?

So true. So very true. Except I didn't want to play a farm-slave.

The unit of farming slaves sings, in sirihish:
"Look down, look down,
Don't look 'em in the eye.
Look down, look down,
You're here until you die."
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."