Line too long...

Started by Banthor, July 12, 2013, 10:50:40 AM

Every time I try to enter my description and/or background during character generation I keep getting this.  I've compared my own background and descriptions to the example ones, and I can't see any qualitative difference between the two, at least as regards length of words and sentences.  I don't know how to fix it and it's infuriating me.  >:(

Can anyone give a clueless rube some guidance here?   ???

Put in one sentence, press enter, put in the next sentence, ect, until you're done. When you're done, enter a tilde (~) on a blank line.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Check the top of the editor window.  The way that descriptions work...they need to be inside that little editor guide.

This is the editor guide:

[---|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----]

Here's an example:

Text Editor: (2000 character maximum) [create mode]
Type .h on a new line for help.  Terminate with '~' or .q on a new line.
Stuff that you type needs to fall inside these lines, and when you reach about
the end of that last bracket, you should press enter to go to the next line.
If you end up typing and typing and do not press enter, the editor will
cut you off after about 200 characters or so, and it will tell you that your
description has been truncated (leading to exactly the problem you are having).
When you are done with typing your description, make sure you have four full
lines as indicated in this little description thingy I'm writing here.  Then
go to a brand new line (press enter).  You can submit this as-is, or you
can type .f on a brand new line.  This will automatically format everything
that you've written previously and put it inside that editor guide
for you.

So if you hit .f on a new line after that description:

Stuff that you type needs to fall inside these lines, and when you reach
about the end of that last bracket, you should press enter to go to the next
line.  If you end up typing and typing and do not press enter, the editor
will cut you off after about 200 characters or so, and it will tell you that
your description has been truncated (leading to exactly the problem you are
having).  When you are done with typing your description, make sure you have
four full lines as indicated in this little description thingy I'm writing
here.  Then go to a brand new line (press enter).  You can submit this
as-is, or you can type .f on a brand new line.  This will automatically
format everything that you've written previously and put it inside that
editor guide for you. 
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

It can help to paste the ruler into notepad, then type under that, using line breaks when appropriate. If you use a client that supports sending multiple lines, like Mudlet, you can paste what you wrote into the client and it will format properly, sending one line at a time. Otherwise, you can paste the lines into your client one at a time.

What I personally do is use Notepad++ (a free text editing program that is better than Notepad) and set the vertical edge to 75. That gives me a blue line that runs down the screen 75 characters in (the length of the ruler) and I type within that margin.

Welcome to Armageddon!

Small wish: lines too long would refuse to send instead of being truncated.

I can't tell you how many times I've winced at the screen because a word got cut in half, a period went missing, or I got the dreaded "and then he..."

sigh.

Quote from: Delirium on July 12, 2013, 11:17:49 AM
Small wish: lines too long would refuse to send instead of being truncated.

+1, and maybe something explain why it didn't send
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Wow- I wasn't expecting that quick of a response.  Thanks so much for the help, guys!   ;D

It's best to write things out first in some kind of document first (as others have suggested) and cut and paste the text in but getting to know the commands for the editor can only help make things easier.

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Editor

Editor
(Gameplay)
The online text editor is a relatively simple device that is used to store long input from users. Commands are only recognized when entered on a new / blank line. The following commands are available:

.c

Clear the current text.
.d#

Delete # number of lines back from the cursor. There must be at least # lines already in the buffer.
.f

Format the current text into a paragraph whose lines are 80 chars wide.
.h

Displays a help listing of options while inside the editor.
.i

Format the current text to 80 chars wide, indenting three spaces at the beginning of paragraphs.
.p

Proof / spell check the text. (not perfect)
.q

End the editor and save the text. (Only on a new line)
~

End the editor and save the text. (Anywhere on a line)
.r

Display a 75-character ruler.
.s

Show the text so far.
.x <command>

Execute the following <command>.
Example(s):
-> .d3
-> .f
-> .q
-> .x time

I find the commands .s .i and .f to be the most useful.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Where would the ".x" one be used?
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on July 12, 2013, 04:38:47 PM
Where would the ".x" one be used?

In game when one wants to input a command without exiting the editor (while writing an IC board post, biography entry, tdesc or when writing ICly.)
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

July 12, 2013, 04:58:18 PM #10 Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:34:49 PM by Riya OniSenshi
If you're writing something and a templar walks in and looks at you:

.x emote bows to ~templar

It sends a command externally of the editor interface.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Oh, I never knew that.
Fredd-

I wish we had a web app for character creation.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I was wondering are change ldesc restricted to 80 characters as well. Or is it your sdesc + what you have entered need to equal 80 characters? Just wondering because sometimes I want to put in being near something or a person or sleeping on something next to a person and it says the line is too long. Anyway this can be changed for ldesc?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 24, 2013, 12:08:37 PM
I was wondering are change ldesc restricted to 80 characters as well. Or is it your sdesc + what you have entered need to equal 80 characters? Just wondering because sometimes I want to put in being near something or a person or sleeping on something next to a person and it says the line is too long. Anyway this can be changed for ldesc?

I have been wondering about the change ldesc thing for quite a while too.  Seem's silly that you can write a paragraph about a item in a room and only several words about the position of yourself.
A staff member sends:
     "You can quit ooc - or if you want I can kill <character name>, that'd definitely reset it."

Quote from: zeia on July 30, 2013, 05:49:01 PM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 24, 2013, 12:08:37 PM

I have been wondering about the change ldesc thing for quite a while too.  Seem's silly that you can write a paragraph about a item in a room and only several words about the position of yourself.
Maybe it's silly... but when I'm arranging items, my particular OCD flips out when it's longer than a line.