Author Topic: Common Slang: Collaboration  (Read 49632 times)

Fujikoma

Re: Common Slang: Collaboration
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2013, 12:53:54 PM »
For roughly the first week I played the game, I figured "gemmer" meant someone rich enough to afford to walk around wearing gems, and so likely nobility. Glad someone cleared that up for me.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Fredd

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2013, 05:51:42 PM »
Templars = robes (e.g. blue-robe, red-robe)??

In 'Nak anyway?

That is very common slang in the rinth, yes. About everyone calls them robes there.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Molten Heart

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »
Templars = robes (e.g. blue-robe, red-robe)??

In 'Nak anyway?

That is very common slang in the rinth, yes. About everyone calls them robes there.

Sometimes Northern Templars are called "Moon Robes"

BadSkeelz

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
I've seen "Gyppo" used to refer to Gypsies.

I've also seen (southern) Templars referred to as Blue Robes or just Blues.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Drayab

• Helper
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »

How many unique people have you seen use this one?

Can anyone else corroborate this one?

I've never seen it.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »
I have not either. 

It wouldn't be a very polite term either, and thus would probably be relegated to fringe groups rather than core citizenry (if this term is used at all).

hyzhenhok

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2013, 03:15:48 PM »
I haven't seen that particular slang anywhere. "Robes" for templars I've only seen in the 'rinth, and 'rinthi specific slang I think we've agreed can be left off the list.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »
Hmm.  Looking at the OP list (is this getting updated?), some suggestions:

We should frame out more of the etymologies of these terms a bit.

Like how "breed" is just short for "half-breed".

Likewise:
necker is short for long-neck
sharp is short for sharp-ear
rat is short for 'rinth-rat
small/large is short for small/large stack
'sid is short for obsidian

I'd also suggest that Allanakis don't refer to their own city as "The Black" or "The Black City".

Some other ideas:
The Known - the world
northron/southron - a term that refers to foreigners from the other half of the world
shade, shade and <water/profits/smooth sands/other variations> - a parting phrase of tribal origin that also sees some usage in the south.

hyzhenhok

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »
Yes, I am updating it. My unilateral choice was to keep it as brief as possible though; if someone wants to build a competing list I'll throw it up in the OP so we can give the staff multiple choices.

long-neck, sharp-ear, etc -- I seldom if ever encounter the long form of these terms in game, and I feel if you know the shortened term it shouldn't be too hard to understand the meaning of the long form if you encounter it.

southron/northron are similarly self-explanatory.

Adding "The Known" and "shade."

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »
The Known is not "The world." The Kown is the "Known World." There is a difference. Quite a massive one, if Zalanthas is even half as large as Earth.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Marauder Moe

« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »
Linguistically, it serves the same purpose.

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »
No? Linguistically, the "Known" means the "known world", or the world that is "known to us". There are parts of the coded gameworld that are not the Known world, and people do not refer to them as the Known. The Known is a term used to describe something, it is not used to describe something else.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

Marauder Moe

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
By linguistically, I mean this:

"Where in the known did you get that?"
means the exact same thing as
"Where in the world did you get that?"

likewise
"I've seen most of the Known in my travels."
is the same as
"I've seen most of the world in my travels."

EDIT: Also, you should consider that you're arguing about the technical definition of a word/term in a thread about slang.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:31:29 PM by Marauder Moe »

Riev

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2013, 04:33:54 PM »
No? Linguistically, the "Known" means the "known world", or the world that is "known to us". There are parts of the coded gameworld that are not the Known world, and people do not refer to them as the Known. The Known is a term used to describe something, it is not used to describe something else.

We get it. The coded world of Armageddon is big, and much of it hasn't been seen by a large portion of the playerbase. But frankly, "The Known" is, for all intents and purposes, equivalent to "The World". If there's a relatively unknown cave, its still contained within the idea of "The Known World". If you're in the "Unknown World", you better be talking to a fish.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »
I think you're misinterpreting what they're saying. Saying "I've seen most of the Known on my travels." would mean the person in question has seen most of the Known, explored world. There are other parts of the world the person isn't even mentioning.

"Where in the Known did you get that?" Would be better related to "Where in Mississippi did you get that? You didn't actually go to Wisconsin to buy that cheese, did you?"

Straight from the helpfiles:
Quote from: HELP_ZALANTHAS
A broad region which is called the Known World composes the bulk of civilization on Zalanthas. Two extremely powerful defilers, Muk Utep in the north and Tektolnes in the south, name themselves sorcerer-kings, and dominate the Known World, ruling in a brutal and tyrannical manner from their city-states. The sorcerer-kings have been alive for centuries, perhaps mille

Which probably means the Known World is even smaller than I was picturing to begin with.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:37:35 PM by bcw81 »

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

Marauder Moe

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2013, 04:44:17 PM »
What you may be missing is how isolated Zalanthas is?  People know nothing about the rest of the world.  The Known is the entirety of their conceptual world.

James de Monet

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
I gotta come down on the side of Moe and Riev here, BC. While I agree that "the Known" and "the world" are technically not the same thing, I think that for most people, most of the time they are idiomatically the same thing. If your character is an explorer, or a scholar, or a very unlucky mercenary, they might not use them to mean the same thing, but most people would.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

AmandaGreathouse

• Inspiration on Tap:
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »

How many unique people have you seen use this one?

Can anyone else corroborate this one?

I've never seen it.

I've seen this from about a half a dozen pcs or so other than ones I've played. This is probably not something that would be common slang in the city-states, but to people who are outside cities, I would imagine it would be much more common, differentiating the robes (nakki templars) from the moon robes (tuluki templars, given that their orders are based on the moons).
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Nyr

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2013, 08:58:18 AM »
Based on a perusal of the runlogs, I can confirm that moon robes is not common slang.
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2013, 09:13:42 AM »
Good lord... you guys can do that?

Riya OniSenshi

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2013, 09:54:27 AM »
Good lord... you guys can do that?

Why wouldn't they be able to query logs for a phrase?
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Fujikoma

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2013, 09:57:17 AM »
... Big Brother is watching...

:o
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Marauder Moe

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2013, 10:17:08 AM »
Most of the data mining the staff have told us about are for more static things: accounts, characters, items, etc.

I knew logs of the game's happenings were kept, but I don't know for how long and I didn't know they could run queries on them.

The Diku code is so old that you never know what trivial (by modern standards) tasks are made difficult by it.  It must also take a non-trivial amount of storage to capture the game's entire output.

Drayab

• Helper
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2013, 01:12:55 PM »
I bet it's as simple as grep 'moon robes' logfile.

Nyr

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2013, 02:12:14 PM »
click in window
type:  moon robe
search in current runlog
search in previous runlog

No uses in the past two weeks.  Just figured I'd offer since it was mentioned as common slang--I don't know that it would be.
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.