Author Topic: Common Slang: Collaboration  (Read 49635 times)

Desertman

Re: Common Slang: Collaboration
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
Stumped - To be confused/lacking knowledge.

"Hey, how do you read and write?"

"i dont know, im stumped"

:D
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.

Drayab

• Helper
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 01:18:16 PM »
I'm surprised we have so little slang on there for occupations (that aren't self-evident)...like burglars, assassins, mercenaries, nobles, templars etc! It could be that we do and I can't think of it (terrible memory), but would be cool to see some more.

In Tuluk, artist can refer to an assassin as easily as a painter. While the latter would be obvious to anyone, the former may be unexpected by a new player.

Barzalene

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 01:50:48 PM »
Apparently, based on other thread elf as a verb is a real thing! Let's include it!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

AmandaGreathouse

• Inspiration on Tap:
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »
Apparently, based on other thread elf as a verb is a real thing! Let's include it!

Totally.

Elf - Thief
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 07:59:23 PM »
He elfed/gypped me outta 50 'sid!
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Marauder Moe

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »
I've never heard "elf" used as a verb in-game.

Drayab

• Helper
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 10:40:52 PM »
Me neither.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »
I have, but not very often. Still, it amuses me.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 10:46:36 PM »
I have heard Elfed used in game in the same way as the example and I know it wasn't Delirium.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:18 PM »
Or.... was it??

Just kidding, I don't think I've ever used elfed. Only gypped.

Drayab

• Helper
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 11:32:23 PM »
Gypped is pretty hilarious. I've never heard that one used either, but I am tempted to start using it!

hyzhenhok

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 11:38:20 PM »
If stuff gets popular later, the helpfile can always be modified easily thanks to the new system.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 01:04:37 AM »
claw-foot for Gith.

Jozhal is sometimes synonymous with coward.

Maso

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 01:46:21 AM »
Gypped in a Brit word. I liked 'elfed'. It makes sense. To call a thief and elf however, I think is just confusing.
emote pees into your eyes deeply

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

AmandaGreathouse

• Inspiration on Tap:
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 03:59:50 AM »
More accurately 'elf' as in 'elfing'

Elf - to steal

Elfing  - thieving, or stealing.

I should've probably put that instead but... I was tired yo.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 06:26:11 AM »
Gypped in a Brit word. I liked 'elfed'. It makes sense. To call a thief and elf however, I think is just confusing.

I don't know what kind of word it is, but I was using gypped long before I played Armageddon, and I have never been nor likely will ever be anywhere near England. Hell, even New England. So. *shrug*
Quote from: jhunter
I'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Marauder Moe

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »
We have "gypped" in America too, though there's been some push to get rid of it for being politically incorrect.  (It is an ethnic slur, after all.)

Elf - to steal

It's not the meaning I have issues with.  The meaning is pretty obvious.  It's the fact that I'm not sure it's used commonly enough in-game to warrant documentation.

Riya OniSenshi

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 11:01:41 AM »
Dictionary says it's an American word...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gypped?s=t&path=/
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Barzalene

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 11:04:37 AM »
We have "gypped" in America too, though there's been some push to get rid of it for being politically incorrect.  (It is an ethnic slur, after all.)

Elf - to steal

It's not the meaning I have issues with.  The meaning is pretty obvious.  It's the fact that I'm not sure it's used commonly enough in-game to warrant documentation.

No no, I'm not certain it's right to include it. I was just rather tickled when in the other thread I mentioned it, thinking I was the only one, and got a (small) chorus of me toos.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

catchall

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »
Updating the list in OP only with stuff that I have really seen multiple characters using semi-regularly.

I love both 'rinth specific slang and the peculiar way certain Highborn class members speak, but they don't strike me as suitable for this list. I think we should be aiming here for common slang that would be used and understood nearly universally. I think most of the location/culture specific lingo is easy enough to pick up once you know the basics.
Anyone in Allanak will know rinthi slang if they're smart. At the very least be familiar with it.

I think you're drastically overestimating the degree of cultural unity between northside and southside Allanak.  Some Allanakis might think they understand rinth slang, in the same way a suburban white pothead in high school thinks he understands "da ghetto," when in fact the slang he thinks he knows is probably decades old, out of fashion, and misused.  And Allanak doesn't have Rinthi Entertainment Television or rinthi bards running around to popularize their slang.

The entire point of in-group slang is that it's exactly that--in-group.  If an Allanaki commoner has a legitimate reason to know contemporary, up-to-date rinth slang, they should have no problem learning it IC (since that's the only way they can learn it anyway).  They shouldn't be pretending they understand everything when they spy on rinthers just because they read it in a GDB thread or helpfile, especially when we're talking about terminology that is specifically intended to be misleading.

hyzhenhok

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »
I've only seen 'elf' in game a few times, all of which were after I saw someone mention how it's a cool slang verb on the GDB a month or so ago. ;)

But regardless, I think it falls under the category of self-explanatory and doesn't need to be on the list.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2013, 12:59:01 PM »
There's always the 'rinthi Cant if you want to get really in depth with your next filthy necker. Not many/any use this though, it's been lost to the times.

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,30226.msg336541.html#msg336541

i can haz mantis

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »
The list doesn't seem to be very un-objective to me.   :-\
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

hyzhenhok

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2013, 02:07:29 PM »
The list doesn't seem to be very un-objective to me.   :-\

Please explain. :)

Drayab

• Helper
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2013, 06:15:07 PM »

Well, I learned something today. I thought the word was spelled 'jipped' and that 'gypped' was a funny alternative spelling some Armageddon player invented. I stand corrected, and also with less desire to use the word IG.