How do you feel about PC killing?

Started by Wastrel, May 30, 2013, 03:53:34 PM

Uh, I prefer my newb medium rare.

I've killed a few players in my time.

I (almost) always felt bad afterwards, but it was always appropriate for me to have killed them.  I tried to give them good death scenes, and mostly succeeded, but sometimes it wasn't always possible.  I've been killed without good scenes myself - that's just life.

Doesn't matter, I'd do it again.

ESPECIALLY YOU, ANNOYING SILK MERCHANT ON THE NORTH ROAD.  YEAH, I'D KILL YOU TEN TIMES.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I'm new enough to the game that opportunities for PK are fairly rare, but I've made a stab at it, and I've participated in executions. One thing I'd worry about, but hate to see, is the instant devolving from an intense scene to code when you kill someone. If someone runs the moment you enter the room without emoting, then by the time YOU have emoted, they've unlocked the door to their apartment, ran down the hall and entered a nearby tavern before you even finish emoting jumping at them. I feel like yakety sax should be playing as I chase you around your apartment. I'm fine with running, but emote or something. I won't take advantage of you taking the time to emote if you pay me the courtesy. Its a more interesting scene for everyone involved.

Quote from: LauraMars on July 23, 2013, 11:56:04 AM

ESPECIALLY YOU, ANNOYING SILK MERCHANT ON THE NORTH ROAD.  YEAH, I'D KILL YOU TEN TIMES.

You mean there are non-annoying merchants?

Quote from: Tuannon on July 25, 2013, 07:40:51 PM
Quote from: LauraMars on July 23, 2013, 11:56:04 AM

You mean there are non-annoying merchants?
Negative. Such things do not exist in Zalanthas. A non-annoying merchant would tear apart the thread of the world. Then I'd have to PK more to take advantage. *nod*
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

I think it depends for me. The role I'm playing wouldn't probably kill a fly. My previous role would have killed if ordered too without batting an eye. In the long run if its either me or them. I usually prefer them. Might sound cold but in a world like ZT being too nice can earn you a blade in the back for your troubles...

Quote from: IssacF on August 01, 2013, 08:20:16 PM
Might sound cold but in a world like ZT being too nice can earn you a blade in the back for your troubles...

Exactly this. One of my previous characters found someone dying in the wastes, and saved their life. After being thanked and a quick chat, my character turned to hop back on his mount. The guy I had just saved backstabbed me, and BEEP. I was Dead.

I felt like sending the guy Kudos, but I didn't remember his sdesc.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on August 01, 2013, 09:27:41 PM
Quote from: IssacF on August 01, 2013, 08:20:16 PM
Might sound cold but in a world like ZT being too nice can earn you a blade in the back for your troubles...

Exactly this. One of my previous characters found someone dying in the wastes, and saved their life. After being thanked and a quick chat, my character turned to hop back on his mount. The guy I had just saved backstabbed me, and BEEP. I was Dead.

I felt like sending the guy Kudos, but I didn't remember his sdesc.

In all honesty if I am playing a combat role and I see someone in that position... Sorry to say I will probably kill them and end their misery. That reason you just posted is exactly why. I might not enjoy it, but I won't regret it. Simply put none of my characters are trusting. All of them can be trusted but none will trust even their mate. Harsh and cold? Probably.

I usually won't in that situation.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Same here, I usually repay kindness with kindness since it makes more sense in the long run. Nonetheless it was just so... fitting. To be a nice guy and pay for it with a knife in the back.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on August 01, 2013, 11:39:22 PM
Same here, I usually repay kindness with kindness since it makes more sense in the long run. Nonetheless it was just so... fitting. To be a nice guy and pay for it with a knife in the back.

Yes that I do. If someone is kind and helps me I tend to have a higher degree of respect for them and tend to repay kindness with kindness. But a total stranger... How do I know s/he won't kill me -after- I save them?

August 02, 2013, 03:44:37 PM #287 Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:20:47 PM by Bogre
Quote from: IssacF on August 01, 2013, 11:46:41 PM

Yes that I do. If someone is kind and helps me I tend to have a higher degree of respect for them and tend to repay kindness with kindness. But a total stranger... How do I know s/he won't kill me -after- I save them?

By being so completely badass that it won't matter if they try.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on August 02, 2013, 03:44:37 PM
Quote from: IssacF on August 01, 2013, 11:46:41 PM

By being so completely badass that it won't matter if they do.

LOL

I find the knowledge that I could kill, if I so choose, more entertaining than the actual killing. In return, many of my own characters get PK'ed, often in entertaining ways - karma I guess.

I don't feel bad about PK'ing anymore. Probably because one of my characters killed about twelve people, either for money, or part of his job. It kind of immunized me to the 'bad feeling' I used to get. I still will always strive to try and make it not shitty for the other person, though. Even if it's just a quick word of why it's happening, the reason behind it, before I slam the BEEPhammer home and it's mantishead time.
At least then they know why it happened, and won't just think "OMG, this dork just grief-PK'd me!"
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

August 25, 2013, 10:23:04 AM #291 Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:31:59 AM by Lutagar
The thing is, if you're a stranger, I don't know how much of badass you are. If you're holding a club/knife I'm probably not going to give you much time to react so I don't run the the risk of getting sapped/backstabed while I'm typing. The game would be much better if these skills were removed and assassins were compensated in other ways, imo.

Only thing I feel bad about is how when you plot and plan to kill someone. And when that time comes it ends up seemingly code fast kill and to them it maybe a complete out of the blue, which means you plan right but I know they leave thinking WTH and why, so deep done wished I could explained it. But also thinking who planning my death makes it so your on your toes and that is fun part.
Just having fun.

I think PK's happen in every mud that allows them, and cause grief on occasion.  I've been killed several times in Armageddon, but it isn't all that bad, especially if you are given a death scene.  I really appreciate when people ooc requests for consent, or try in some way to make things a bit more interesting.  After all, with how much time people sink into their characters, it's deserved imo.

On the other side of things, I've killed several characters as well.  Some were long-winded plots that finally ended in someone dying, while others might have been spur of the moment.  The ones I feel the worst about are those that I was not able to give a proper death scene to, and roleplay out the ending chapter of a character's life.
You notice: A war beetle squeezes out an Orin-sized ball of dung.

I wouldn't feel bad. Sometimes, often, death is sudden. People don't see it coming. This is true in Armageddon and real life.

A lot of roleplay goes into Armageddon deaths. Usually it's before and after the death. If you plan to kill your enemy you aren't obligated to give them a Bond Villain explanation for their demise.

If you find yourself on the receiving end of a murder that you think is twinky or random or OOC, please do send in a complaint. We'll look into the death and if it was one of the very rare instances of poor play it will be dealt with. The vast majority of these abrupt deaths are legitimate though and contribute to many storylines.

Quote from: Wug on August 25, 2013, 07:17:50 PM
If you plan to kill your enemy you aren't obligated to give them a Bond Villain explanation for their demise.

I love this, so, sooooooooo much.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I've learned that as long as there is that veneer of roleplay people will pull out all the stops and abuse (or use?) the code to its full potential to stay alive/kill X as far as PK is concerned. I will be bringing this approach in future PCs, if they are involved in PK. I will be using every dirty trick in the book. I will show no mercy to players. I will be as metagamey as possible. I will bend the code as far as I possibly can.

;)

August 25, 2013, 07:57:03 PM #297 Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:30:22 PM by Wug
I recall a story long ago of a player who was being chased by desert elves. He cast a spell [edited by Wug - do not post spell specifics].They ran.

If a player is being metagamey report them. Don't do it yourself.

If it ever rains. Start freaking out.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

You can always just claim you were roleplaying in a way that will seem defensible. They ran because they were scared! Thats what people do. Mental gymnastics.

And thats not how the game actually works I've learned, janeshepard. I used to be idealistic. I'm not going to risk losing characters because I'm a hopeless idealist who hopes everyone will rp a deathscene or expects players to not run or be little bitches in various bitchy ways (crudely put but w/e). I know for damn sure a lot of players play like that and probably wont admit it. Vets especially. Dman summed up my current feelings somewhere in this thread. In an ideal world everyone would give everyone a chance to RP etc but thats simply not going to happen due to numerous factors. I'd rather not be a scrub.

August 25, 2013, 09:25:59 PM #299 Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:03:30 PM by Barzalene
Quote from: Wastrel on August 25, 2013, 08:28:24 PM
You can always just claim you were roleplaying in a way that will seem defensible. They ran because they were scared! Thats what people do. Mental gymnastics.

And thats not how the game actually works I've learned, janeshepard. I used to be idealistic. I'm not going to risk losing characters because I'm a hopeless idealist who hopes everyone will rp a deathscene or expects players to not run or be little bitches in various bitchy ways (crudely put but w/e). I know for damn sure a lot of players play like that and probably wont admit it. Vets especially. Dman summed up my current feelings somewhere in this thread. In an ideal world everyone would give everyone a chance to RP etc but thats simply not going to happen due to numerous factors. I'd rather not be a scrub.

I don't know. What's true depends on the day. Some day instead of a shitty death, someone will give you a great one. And you'll want to do that for someone else. Maybe they'll disappoint you. Maybe they'll be awesome and you'll want to die well for someone else. It's hard to say what's true when everything is true. Sometimes people suck. Sometimes they're brilliant. Sometimes it's all quick and dirty and everyone still goes home happy.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."