Warriors vs assassin vs ranger vs....everything.

Started by Doublepalli, May 21, 2013, 07:28:14 PM

I need to start a stat thread, hah. I'm curious as to how much they factor into combat efficiency and the rate in which you learn skills. Alas, I'm too lazy to search around.

Quote from: Zerero on May 23, 2013, 12:28:06 PM
I need to start a stat thread, hah. I'm curious as to how much they factor into combat efficiency and the rate in which you learn skills. Alas, I'm too lazy to search around.

You can glean a few hints by perusing the Attributes helpfile, but generally, the code's nuances are left for players to figure out through gameplay, and trial and error. For the most part, it works very logically.

Honestly if you think it should work a certain way it, 99% sure, already does,

Quote from: IssacF on May 23, 2013, 08:00:49 AM
I assume Arm does not have what makes Warriors terribly scary: enchanted equips. Such as magical swords and armor. That balances things out IMHO.

I had a half-giant warrior who was branched and carried around a magickal armor. Talk about a scary, scary beast.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on May 23, 2013, 05:09:45 PM
I assume Arm does not have what makes Warriors terribly scary: enchanted equips. Such as magical swords and armor. That balances things out IMHO.

I had a half-giant warrior who was branched and carried around a magickal armor. Talk about a scary, scary beast.

Crap, to think what would have happened if he'd put it on!

Quote from: Narf on May 23, 2013, 07:02:50 PM
Quote from: Bogre on May 23, 2013, 05:09:45 PM

Crap, to think what would have happened if he'd put it on!

> pemote head esplodes!
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 23, 2013, 12:30:16 PM
That's all "find out IC' stuff anyways.

Looks like "Find out IC" is code for "Next poster, just give out the info."

Folks: there's something to be said about things remaining unknown until people make an effort to learn or happen upon it of their own efforts.  This is a value we should embrace because it really maintains the spirit of fun and discovery of the game rather than "Find out all the inner workings on the GDB".

As far as which is best - A warrior can take on an entire pack of Gith and survive, but that doesn't mean squat to a well trained Assassin or Ranger. Warriors are not the be all and end all of life-ending capabilities. If they were, none of those other classes would find themselves so easily employed, there'd be no need.

It's more like there's no reason to be all secretive "find out IC" for information that is actually "find out if you search the forums." No one is talking specifics or nuances here.

Quote from: gfair on May 23, 2013, 10:09:09 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 23, 2013, 12:30:16 PM
That's all "find out IC' stuff anyways.

Looks like "Find out IC" is code for "Next poster, just give out the info."

A new player was asking about stats, and Delirium pointed him to the Attributes help file.  A help file on the website.  No rule was broken, and her answer was helpful and informative.  "Find Out IC" should be reserved for plotline and character information, as well as game nuances not found on the website or the forums.  It shouldn't be a phrase we just fling in a new player's face when there is a better answer that we can give.  That can be very off putting to players who are still trying to learn the game.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

He asked specifically about

Italicized the pretty specific question he asked and I was addressing. I think it really is something you should find out playing the game. A person asking this question I figured has already read the stats helpfile. But you're right I do tend to use "find out ic" too frequently. And that sort of curt response can be outputting. There a whole topic on that phrase somewhere on the GDB. That was a fun thread. 

May 24, 2013, 03:06:15 AM #36 Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:14:18 AM by Harmless
I only determined what is appropriate on the GDB by virtue of the fact that every single thing I have said on this board has been said before.

I am just an echo of players past, though among the vets and the huge number of people who never post on the GDB, this is all old, old news. (edited for accuracy)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

If you can overcome your ennui, my dear, almost all the answers to those questions can be found on the GDB, with varying degrees of accuracy.  It does require some search-fu, though, as well as several grains of salt. ;)
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

It's worth noting that we really should (or at least, could) separate out the two responses given here so that it makes more sense for the player.

Find out IC means "find out in-character."  This should be for stuff that you can learn with a character by actually posing the question itself, or by researching it in the game with the character.  Like "whatever happened to x PC?" or "has there ever been a dwarf that did this?" or "why exactly did that clan get wiped out?"  The answer can be determined through questioning IC, if it is appropriate for your character to find out that sort of thing.  This can sometimes bleed into "find out IG."

Find out IG means "find out in-game." This should be for stuff that (if you actually "do" it in the game) will be more apparent with use, failure, or success.  Like "how exactly does the magick system deal with x" or "how do stats really work with skill levels and such?"  The answer can be determined over time by "doing" that, failing, or succeeding.  You couldn't really pose the question to someone in-game because it would be out of character to ask that.  The answer also might be apparent by asking staff or players, but if the response is then to "find out IG," what we're really saying is that we believe that the value of learning it by experiencing it would be greater than the value of having it simply laid out for you.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.