>Craft <item> show

Started by Fredd, May 02, 2013, 01:28:19 AM

I would love it if you could see what something looks like before actually crafting it. When you enter the command you would need the items in your inventory and if you can craft something with that name the items description would pop up, and perhapse you could get a rough value as well.

Inv

You are carrying:
A handful of hope
A noob crafters tears

>Craft wish pants show

These pants seems to have been sewn from the hopes of all crafters giving them a rainbow like sheen. It has petrified noob crafters tears sewn into it for buttons.

This item may be worth:5 coins
It may weigh: 2 stones:

I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Wow yeah this would be awesome. It would really help. Especially when the options for crafting are similar:

craft obsidian
you can make an obsidian bracelet
you can make an obsidian bangle
you can make an obsidian circlet
you can make a circular obsidian bracelet
you can make a large obsidian bangle

And you're looking to make the one with the wavy lines etched into it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I dig this idea.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

What if your character has never crafted the item in question before? How would they know what that item looks like?
Quote from: staff
A staff member sends:
     "Likely a flub in the machine. It does not understand birthdays! (But it understands death like no one's business.)"

Quote from: Zul on May 02, 2013, 11:44:15 AM
What if your character has never crafted the item in question before? How would they know what that item looks like?

Because they're about to make it.  They would know the design before they made it.

It's a much weirder concept that they can make something without having any idea of what it should look like.

It could be that the 'craft description' could just be made more accurate. Maybe staff would accept bug submissions for ones that are really unhelpful?

I kinda think it should just give you the actual sdesc of the item. Sometimes it's pretty identical, other times it's way off.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Exact description might be easy to implement, but not entirely realistic. On complex items, crafter might not always visualize the exact looks. As per the rough description, that sounds realistic but also time consuming. A rough description must be written for all craftable objects.

Quote from: najdorf on May 02, 2013, 12:38:22 PM
Exact description might be easy to implement, but not entirely realistic. On complex items, crafter might not always visualize the exact looks. As per the rough description, that sounds realistic but also time consuming. A rough description must be written for all craftable objects.

I dig this idea for a longer rough description.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

That would be good. If it's doable, it's an excellent idea.

This idea seems quite reasonable.

It's more of visualization. Most artists and crafters go into the work they are doing with a rather clear idea of what they are going for in there head.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

May 02, 2013, 04:50:27 PM #11 Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:53:15 PM by Lizzie

Well put it this way:

Let's say, in real life, you have a jack-knife. And let's say you have a block of wood, maybe a nice 6-inch cut off an old 2x4. Now - let's say you decide to whittle yourself a clashkrimshi.

Okay - ready - set - GO.

Another example: you have an long piece of silk. It's a pretty green. You decide to make a dress. A black-embroidered green dress.

Ready - get set - GO.

What embroidery have you decided to try? Will you do a tribal design? Or maybe an outline of a bahamet? Or will you put hash-marks on the edges? Will the dress have a fringe? Is it long or short? Tight or loose? Show cleavage or not?

Now actually make it.

Now tell me - does it look ANYTHING like you were expecting it to look, considering that you are the one who did all that embroidery? Is it long? Is it short? Cleavage? Fringe? Bahamet or hash-marks?

That's why it's helpful to know what a thing looks like, before you try to make it :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Yeah it can be pretty frustrating. Seems to me more of an issue that a lot of the descriptions just aren't quite right...and it would be better fixed by fixing those than adding in new functionality. But it would probably be a labor of love that would need to be taken on by a staffer....
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

If we want to get fancy, then maybe we could have it coded so that you see the description using the language code (but based on the appropriate skill).

So with an apprentice-level skill, you only can understand a small part of the description?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Such a thing would be _really_ useful. A wrench, a cone, an urn; for these, I crafted something absolutely different from what I thought I would craft.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

I think this would be amazing and very useful.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Lets not even get into Armor crafting, and leather working cross overs. Most armor you can tell from the main desc. if it's armor. But from the sdesc you see when you craft, this can get confusing.

Plus there are dresses that are apropriate in the north, that no southerner would wear, and vice versa. And you can't tell these things until you read the main description.

This is a great Idea, in fact I idea'd this about a month ago.  It makes sense that when someone goes to make something, they know what they are going to make before they start.  If it isn't the same, maybe they would accidentally drop it in the dust (because they failed to craft what they were trying to) and no one would ever know.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA