What makes a long-lived character?

Started by PriestlySiren, May 01, 2013, 02:10:27 PM

Quote from: Twilight on May 01, 2013, 11:35:24 PM
Quote from: LauraMars on May 01, 2013, 10:58:03 PM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 01, 2013, 09:43:28 PM
I feel bad. My longest lived character did the opposite of everything everyone is recommending here.

He constantly made enemies, wandered the deserts half-naked, and, in-general, did some pretty crazy shit that he shouldn't have survived from.

Those seat of your pants characters who defy all the odds and survive despite everything are the funnest to play.

But you can't try to make them...they just happen, somehow.

Sure you can.  I had a character that I basically said, I am going to spend the first 5-10 days playtime doing crazy shit, then I am going to join a clan, settle down, and live into old age.  It ended up being my longest lived, and had some decent stories.  And the crazy shit really didn't stop when I joined the clan, just slowed down a little.

Ok, let me rephrase - you can't make a character who you -know- is going to defy the odds and do crazy shit and be long lived.  Odds are you'll be killed in the attempt.  Surviving when you're hell-bent on being a half-naked desert wanderer who deliberately keeps throwing himself into trouble is more likely to end in death than otherwise - to make it to the status of "long-lived" will take a good amount of luck at that point.

(though of course a good knowledge of code will help your chances a lot)
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Don't app something you know you'll probably get tired of in a RL month? Which is about two game months.

Pick as much that interests you as is possible to stuff into a single pc?

Also, for the love of god have ways out. Lot of potential for dead-ends.

Your pc has a goal? Have a couple of back-up goals, don't have preferences about where you end up--- or do, and rejoice in your good fortune for picking your favorite, or lament that you could have been in clan y, when clannies x are not around to hear of course.

Have you picked the armorcrafter subguild and have decided you'll start off in the north working with yummy animal hides? Maybe the black moon blew up and all animals now have the strength of a raging half-giant. Have ways out. Have options, and two or more ways to make money/to progress your story, because cockblockers happen, no one has played a leadership role in Salaar in Tuluk for a RL month, some mad dwarf is killing anyone with black hair who leaves Luir's, you have the damn luck to look almost exactly like that defiler everyone's after.... you get the idea. I've had to store because I didn't prepare for some of this shit. Right now I wish I had a different subguild. Try avoiding doing new things on special apps, such as a type of personality or type of clan membership you've never tried before--- you might well not be able to do it, or hate it, and there goes a special app who could have been long-lived.

May 02, 2013, 12:08:46 AM #27 Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:10:38 AM by BuNutzCola
Humility is usually better armor than silt horror plate and iron swords.

And being very aware of your character's place in the gameworld, for better or worse.

Also some luck at times.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

Never go where you can't outfight or outrun the opposition.

Always rest your mount.

Don't chase the rabbit.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: BuNutzCola on May 02, 2013, 12:08:46 AM
Humility is usually better armor than silt horror plate and iron swords.

And being very aware of your character's place in the gameworld, for better or worse.

Also some luck at times.

+1
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: LauraMars on May 01, 2013, 11:52:00 PM
Quote from: Twilight on May 01, 2013, 11:35:24 PM
Quote from: LauraMars on May 01, 2013, 10:58:03 PM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 01, 2013, 09:43:28 PM
I feel bad. My longest lived character did the opposite of everything everyone is recommending here.

He constantly made enemies, wandered the deserts half-naked, and, in-general, did some pretty crazy shit that he shouldn't have survived from.

Those seat of your pants characters who defy all the odds and survive despite everything are the funnest to play.

But you can't try to make them...they just happen, somehow.

Sure you can.  I had a character that I basically said, I am going to spend the first 5-10 days playtime doing crazy shit, then I am going to join a clan, settle down, and live into old age.  It ended up being my longest lived, and had some decent stories.  And the crazy shit really didn't stop when I joined the clan, just slowed down a little.

Ok, let me rephrase - you can't make a character who you -know- is going to defy the odds and do crazy shit and be long lived.  Odds are you'll be killed in the attempt.  Surviving when you're hell-bent on being a half-naked desert wanderer who deliberately keeps throwing himself into trouble is more likely to end in death than otherwise - to make it to the status of "long-lived" will take a good amount of luck at that point.

(though of course a good knowledge of code will help your chances a lot)

Actually, most the crazy shit I did was completely in-character. I was a breed, after all. They kind've have a knack for being... Well, crazy and doing even crazier shit.

But, yeah. Had a blast with that character. Made the best memories in ARM with that dude.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I think the more obscure (but almost as important) suggestions would be:

• nosave arrest
  • Don't subdue your friends
  • Anything that wants to fight you is probably not something you want to fight alone
  • If you have to tell people you're a badass, you aren't one
  • If it looks, sounds, smells, or feels dangerous, it probably is
  • Political power beats physical power, every time
  • Don't forget the desert is HOT
  • And last but not least, the ending of the sentence "Just one more..." is almost always "...mantishead."
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on May 02, 2013, 04:45:03 AM

• nosave arrest

These are a must. If you are a soldier and subdue your friends, you could kill them, if you are not a soldier and subdue your friends, it will likely kill you.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on May 02, 2013, 04:48:03 AM
Quote from: James de Monet on May 02, 2013, 04:45:03 AM

• nosave arrest

These are a must. If you are a soldier and subdue your friends, you could kill them, if you are not a soldier and subdue your friends, it will likely kill you.
If you've got the ability to set triggers on your Mudclients, set them to trigger nosave combat off/on whenever entering/leaving Luirs outpost.

If you absolutely have to subdue someone (ie. to carry them to safety) - make sure they have turned nosave subdue off so that they aren't resisting. You only get crim-flagged when you attempt to subdue someone who actively resists.
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Don't get bored. If you're getting bored, take a break, don't store or suicide. Little holidays go a long way towards true longevity, gives you time to think or just let the routine stop boring you so much. I used to think longevity meant a character who lasted IC years. Now I think in terms of IC decades (RL years).

If you knew you made an earnest attempt towards longevity and failed, then congrats. You won the game. 
When you store or suicide or knowingly take risks that you later realize were against your concept or the docs, then you lost that round.
Either way, don't let it discourage you from trying again, because this game has so much to offer. There are at least a dozen character concepts in this game that I haven't tried yet but want to someday. Right now my longevity is such that I worry that I won't have time for them all.

Also, keep in mind that people who have a lot of time to play the game have a huge advantage in a lot of areas. They learn the code faster, they make more friends and get more support, and they tend to have pretty awesome deaths. If you're suffering from low playtime, the solution is to become much more cautious and focus on making just one or two good trustworthy allies that you know have more playtime than you do. Then things all start to fall in place.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

QuoteIf you absolutely have to subdue someone (ie. to carry them to safety) - make sure they have turned nosave subdue off so that they aren't resisting. You only get crim-flagged when you attempt to subdue someone who actively resists.

Isn't it nosave subdue on?

Quote from: solera on May 02, 2013, 03:43:02 PM
QuoteIf you absolutely have to subdue someone (ie. to carry them to safety) - make sure they have turned nosave subdue off so that they aren't resisting. You only get crim-flagged when you attempt to subdue someone who actively resists.

Isn't it nosave subdue on?

Either way it will make sense in game with the echo it gives you. "You are now resisting subdue attempts".

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 02, 2013, 05:27:59 AM
You only get crim-flagged when you attempt to subdue someone who actively resists.

True, but don't forget that anyone who is guarding them will react to you trying to subdue their charge, regardless of their nosave subdue flag.

I put it in the list because its one of those things I have seen go wrong for experienced players who even took a moment to think about it first. It's generally best avoided in public places.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on May 03, 2013, 02:07:56 PM
You only get crim-flagged when you attempt to subdue someone who actively resists.

True, but don't forget that anyone who is guarding them will react to you trying to subdue their charge, regardless of their nosave subdue flag.

I put it in the list because its one of those things I have seen go wrong for experienced players who even took a moment to think about it first. It's generally best avoided in public places.
Does this count if said person is uncon or if you already have them subdued?

Quote from: PriestlySiren on May 04, 2013, 08:07:06 AM

If they're unconscious, I -think- it automatically switches them to nosave subdue - But, just to be positive, before attempting to subdue someone in a friendly manner - Best to ooc "nosave subdue on?" and wait until you get a reply before making any move to subdue them.

She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 04, 2013, 01:45:26 PM
Quote from: PriestlySiren on May 04, 2013, 08:07:06 AM

If they're unconscious, I -think- it automatically switches them to nosave subdue - But, just to be positive, before attempting to subdue someone in a friendly manner - Best to ooc "nosave subdue on?" and wait until you get a reply before making any move to subdue them.

No. It doesn't. It simply lowers your chance of getting caught by the law. But apparently it can still happen, it's just a low chance.

May 04, 2013, 10:39:50 PM #41 Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:43:09 PM by musashi
I believe the help file says it does.

*checks the nosave helpfile*

Yup. If you're knocked out nosave subdue is automatically turned on so the helpfile says.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

The fuck am I thinking of? Staff said within the past couple months.... OH Steal. Stealing from someone who is asleep is what I'm thinking of.

I'd still avoid subduing sleeping people in crimcoded areas without them expressly confirming nosave subdue was on.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I want to say there's some kinda difference between unconscious from taking stun damage, and unconscious from drinking/sleeping.  Just in case.  :P

Another tip to elongate your character's longevity:

TITLE YOUR MOUNT and refer to your mount, always, by whatever you titled him/her.

Syntax:

get coins pack
get ticket pack
offer ticket
put coins pack
hitch inix
mount inix
title inix Blinky

later on, when the spice begins to take hold:

rest blinky
draw sword
kill green.beetle
(wait, wait, say OH SHIT when the green beetle bites you for 40 damage)
flee west
west
(think Oh no, BLINKY! I'm comin to save you, little buddy!)
east
hitch blinky
mount
run
west
west
west

See what I did there - if you were to "hitch beetle" when you came back in - you'd be hurtin.

So always title your mount and refer to its title.

Pro-tip: title it something that has nothing to do with names or keywords of any other animal in the game.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Along that same vein. Another protip:

DO NOT ADDKEYWORD COMMON ANIMAL NAMES TO YOUR CHARACTER.

You have the nickname sneaky gortok? Yay. Don't add gortok to your character then go hunting gortok with 4 of your buddies. It never, ever, ever ends well.

Please note this wisdom holds true for masks and face wraps and cloaks as well. A frightening gortok mask? Don't put that on when you go hunting.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Well, unless you are already so badass that somebody attacking you is just amusing.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

May 05, 2013, 12:20:28 AM #48 Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:39:51 AM by racurtne
Quote from: X-D on May 05, 2013, 12:18:57 AM
Well, unless you are already so badass that somebody attacking you is just amusing.

Yeah, I managed to get someone's HG killed because of my choice of keyword. FYI, not an animal name.

Edited for remaining on topic:

Point is, also make sure that YOU target intelligently in combat. Don't just "attack white" or something non-specific like that.
Alea iacta est

Please stay on topic.
Nyr: lifesaver hishn to the rishncue