What makes a long-lived character?

Started by PriestlySiren, May 01, 2013, 02:10:27 PM

So... in the populace's opinion, what makes a character able to be long-lived?

Avoiding situations that can cause death.

It depends on what you're playing.

Even if you are in a combat-oriented clan, using some common-sense goes a long way. Don't go outside of your comfort-zone (when out in the wild). Don't go outside of the walls all the time just because you are bored. Have a clan and stay within their relative area of influence so that they can have your back. Always bring backup when going somewhere dangerous (competent backup is preferable). Don't piss off the wrong people.

Then, be lucky.
Alea iacta est

Quote from: PriestlySiren on May 01, 2013, 02:10:27 PM

There's no one way to reach the status of long-lived, but I've found a few things that really help.

Patience

Everyone gets bored from time to time during the slow times, but I can guarantee you many people die because they get bored and try something stupid.  Being able to push through those boring times is paramount if you want to achieve a long lived character.

Humility

This ranges from knowing your place in the world to understanding your personal limitations to knowing when it's time to fucking run.  A lot of PCs get too cocky when they reach a certain amount of time played both in dealing with beasties AND other PCs.  Just because you're a branched warrior doesn't mean you can mouth off to that templar, and just because you think they're the most badass warrior in the known doesn't mean you can go punch a mek to death.

Sociability

I'm not saying don't make enemies, because conflict should always be the heart of this game, but I'm saying for every enemy you make, you need an ally.  No man or woman is an island.  I'm not saying to smile and hug everyone you meet, but just pick your allies carefully.  Easiest way to do this is to join an established clan and work well within their respective system.

Awareness

Those goes in line with humility.  Always consider the greater game world and where you fit into it.  Always be aware of what you're doing in relation to that.  Everything you do you should consider how others will react.  If you're a 'rinther, know that sitting the Trader's mouthing off to a noble will have consequences.  I'm not saying don't do those things, just be AWARE of what will happen.  Anytime you're out in the wilds, read room descs, think about what you are doing and what realistically will happen if you're not realistically prepared.

Treat the World as if its Alive

Yea, I know you've killed five hundred raptors already, but never get cocky, because that next raptor might be the elder raptor supreme black belt of his brood.  Don't treat things around you like a series of code, but dangerous and more importantly -varied- creatures.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

It's not really that hard.

Rule #1: Don't leave the city walls.
Rule #1b: For those who must sometimes, don't leave the city walls without at least two competant fighters with you.  (Ones that are willing/able to save your ass if things get messy.)

Rule #2: Submit to anyone who can have you killed with little consequence.  (Namely templars, soldiers, nobles, and your own clan leaders.)

Rule #3: Never go to anyone's apartment.  (Unless you trust them with your character's life... because that's what you're doing.)

Man, I really like what Ender had to say.

I played a very active 8-RL-month hunter so I can give a little advice-

1.  Don't go out of the city alone.  Even having someone along with much less skill can help a lot when things get hairy, and multiple opponents are a good thing in melee (when they're on your side).

2.  Don't do the thing where you -think- you can outlast the critter who's beating you down.  Just hoping to get that last big hit in....pick a realistic HP limit for when you flee and stick to it.  Set a trigger to sound a beep when you pass it, because sometimes stuff happens real fast. 

3.  Make friends. (Yes, people have said this but it bears repeating).  Having people who will come get you when you're nearly dead and hiding is useful.  Besides, it's fun.

4.  Listen to your gut.  If you find yourself for some reason with your finger hovering over the enter key before taking that next step east, not really knowing why but hesitant to go on, heck, listen to your instincts, unless you really have to do it.  Most things can wait till another day.

Spot on, Ender.  Every.  Single.  Time.

Quote from: Refugee on May 01, 2013, 03:21:08 PM

1.  Don't go out of the city alone.  Even having someone along with much less skill can help a lot when things get hairy, and multiple opponents are a good thing in melee (when they're on your side).

This, so much this.  The secondary benefit of always following this rule is that when you have someone with you helping to bring the world alive with emotes and conversation it's easier to view the world as alive instead of a coded experience.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Don't get interested enough in your other character ideas that your own seems to pale in comparision. Rather, its better to leave your character sheets in microsoft word unfinished so that their level of temptation isn't nearly as great.

I should know, I suffer madly from the blessing/affliction of short-livedness because stories and putting on a good show are paramount to me above all else, and I wish I felt guilty but I don't at all.

Playing realistically based on what your PC would do and not what you would do.

Even a psycho killer is going to be careful about his psycho killing.

Even the best hunter is going to be careful about how he hunts.

Even the most fearsome warrior isn't going to face that entire group alone, if he is fighting smart.

If you do that, the rest is just fate and luck.

Even when you play safe, and you account for every possible outcome, there is always another outcome waiting for you that you didn't see coming. But that is kind of the fun of it too. I can't count the number of times where I said, "Ok, all of my bases are covered." Only to die ten minutes later and go, "I didn't even know that was possible."

Good times.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Playing realistically to the docs, environment, and PC is all one really needs to do.

Unfortunately, this is not something most people can do.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Ender on May 01, 2013, 02:25:39 PM
Quote from: PriestlySiren on May 01, 2013, 02:10:27 PM

There's no one way to reach the status of long-lived, but I've found a few things that really help.

Patience

Humility

Sociability

Awareness

Treat the World as if its Alive

All this and a pinch of luck, and baby, you've got a long-lived character stew going.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

A long liver.

Note that you can completely break all these rules and still get lucky.  The more you know, the more you can push on the boundaries.  Don't be surprised if they eventually push back.  New players seem to push on the boundaries too soon, without knowing much about them.  Then that character goes splat.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Don't store.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on May 01, 2013, 05:48:07 PM
Don't store.

OR suicide.

Giving your character a mental breakdown(maybe a hard bump to the head), walking across the known to another city, and making them an amnesiac is literally a better, less cliched option in this game.

May 01, 2013, 06:03:22 PM #15 Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:40:29 PM by Delirium
Give your character passions and interests and goals that they can accomplish and/or pursue over the long-term. Keep reaching out to each generation of PCs that you encounter. These will help prevent you from becoming bored and jaded when the things and characters your PC did and knew inevitably come to their end. Lastly, try and treat each day as if it is your last with that PC.

Quote from: Youko on May 01, 2013, 02:13:37 PM
Avoiding situations that can cause death.

Agreed.
Realistic goals followed through realistically.
Ability to adapt.
Ability to stave off boredom when the urge is really strong to "go do something" that doesn't
meet up with character's personality.

Ender, what you said, especially about being humility, sociability and awareness. I've seen people who think they're so badass and decide they want to do what they want, don't listen to anyone and act like they know it all but when they get into a life and death situation, they are so shocked because "OMG, I'm not the best thing out there."

For my longevity tips, I recommended the same as Ender and setting goals, having an actual personality with flaws and all so that interest remains even if something very exciting might not be going on every single time you log in, atleast there's something of your character you'll be working on or some goal you'll be planning to reach.

Don't go out of the city alone.  Even having someone along with much less skill can help a lot when things get hairy, and multiple opponents are a good thing in melee (when they're on your side).

Dwarves and Half-Giants are particularly good for this.  They're tougher than most humans and if things get too hairy, well, you can probably run away faster than they can :P
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I feel bad. My longest lived character did the opposite of everything everyone is recommending here.

He constantly made enemies, wandered the deserts half-naked, and, in-general, did some pretty crazy shit that he shouldn't have survived from.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Also, if you have someone along with you, you can leave them in your dust to be eaten by the wild animals or killed by the raiders while you get away and run back to safety.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Surviving in Zalanthas is much like surviving in Zombieland. Cardio is very important.

Knowing when you are beat is important as well. You are much less likely to die if you don't pursue a rivalry to the death, if you flee from a losing battle before falling below 50% health, avoid solo-ing things which have a good chance of eating you, and bend your knee to the Powers That Be.

Although obviously that's not as much fun sometimes, and sometimes the dying is worth it.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 01, 2013, 09:43:28 PM
I feel bad. My longest lived character did the opposite of everything everyone is recommending here.

He constantly made enemies, wandered the deserts half-naked, and, in-general, did some pretty crazy shit that he shouldn't have survived from.

Those seat of your pants characters who defy all the odds and survive despite everything are the funnest to play.

But you can't try to make them...they just happen, somehow.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Consistently keeping your hitpoints above -9.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: LauraMars on May 01, 2013, 10:58:03 PM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 01, 2013, 09:43:28 PM

Those seat of your pants characters who defy all the odds and survive despite everything are the funnest to play.

But you can't try to make them...they just happen, somehow.

Sure you can.  I had a character that I basically said, I am going to spend the first 5-10 days playtime doing crazy shit, then I am going to join a clan, settle down, and live into old age.  It ended up being my longest lived, and had some decent stories.  And the crazy shit really didn't stop when I joined the clan, just slowed down a little.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."