What almost turned you off the game WHEN YOU WERE NEW

Started by Morrolan, April 30, 2013, 07:45:39 PM

Quote from: Armaddict on April 23, 2015, 04:08:05 AM
The color is probably a huge one for people coming from other muds.

It really is one of those things that's appallingly strange on arrival.

Now I go to other muds to check them out and want to claw my eyes out within minutes.

Here's my serious suggestion for this:

Use highlights in your mud client to highlight your prompt, at the least.

One trick is to make your prompt contained in some brackets, like [100hp 100/100st 120/120mv]. Highlight anything contained inside square brackets in green or yellow with your client. Depending on the client it will be a different process.

That will at the very least, break up every line of incoming text with a colored prompt, and help you sort the information.

I have been using highlights for a very long time in arma, and it's a bit jarring at me nowadays not to have ANY color. Just a prompt highlight alone and a few others are enough to enrich my visual experience.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

First PC, wandered around, got lost, no colour, found a PC, they gave me a waterskin full of poop to drink and then looted my corpse. Presumably. Was not impressed with calibre of roleplay or quality of players.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Harmless on April 23, 2015, 04:52:42 AM
Quote from: Armaddict on April 23, 2015, 04:08:05 AM
The color is probably a huge one for people coming from other muds.

It really is one of those things that's appallingly strange on arrival.

Now I go to other muds to check them out and want to claw my eyes out within minutes.

Here's my serious suggestion for this:

Use highlights in your mud client to highlight your prompt, at the least.

One trick is to make your prompt contained in some brackets, like [100hp 100/100st 120/120mv]. Highlight anything contained inside square brackets in green or yellow with your client. Depending on the client it will be a different process.

That will at the very least, break up every line of incoming text with a colored prompt, and help you sort the information.

I have been using highlights for a very long time in arma, and it's a bit jarring at me nowadays not to have ANY color. Just a prompt highlight alone and a few others are enough to enrich my visual experience.

I think you misread me.  I hate color, now.  I demand the bleak black and white of armageddon, otherwise my MUD just seems too fruity to be fun.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Every MUD that does have colour(read: all of them) has a button allowing you to turn it off, anyway,
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Even after a couple years invested, I still consider myself a newbie. But looking back on my start, I'd have to say that lack of activity in the GMH my merchant wound up in nearly drove me off the game. There was a stretch of MONTHS irl where my only companions were NPCs because no leaders were around, and didn't hire when they were around. Most hirings were done in my companion branch, and the turnover rate due to death was so high that most of them were gone before my PC even met them. There were also restrictions on what I could do within the GMH. Understood those, but trying to learn how to play the game in that restrictive environment alone most of the time was crippling, and almost killed it for me.