Thank you!

Started by Paradoxical, April 25, 2013, 11:49:36 AM

I noticed that there was a thread for rants and other assorted means of questions and discussions concerning Arm's roleplay, but I just wanted as a new player coming from another game to say: thank you.

Admittedly, I was very hesitant at first to try Armageddon given that the lore for some RPI's, especially Armageddon's can be incredibly daunting and that depending on the game, the playerbase can be incredibly merciless to newer players for not understanding it. It was this reservation that kept me at arm's distance from trying Armageddon as a result. However, given the interactions that my first character has received and the fact that they are still breathing, I would just like to thank the playerbase in general for being hospitable, empathetic, and understanding. To the helpers, I truly want to thank you for answering all the numerous questions I had concerning lore, social practices, and aesthetic. While I'm no stranger to roleplay having come from a game that wasn't an RPI, but put a strong emphasis on it, the game did not have such extensive lore as Armageddon did and the helpers were great in helping me get settled.

All in all, I just wanted to say thank you to the people who have treated me with patience and helped eliminate my anxiety with their interactions.

Welcome!  Thank you for finding us and for sticking around :) the more the merrier.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

We're a bunch of wee kittens. Don't pay any mind to those claws, razor-sharp teeth or that pile of boots over there. We won't bite....much.

Welcome to Armageddon.
Nyr: lifesaver hishn to the rishncue

We are happy to have you.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Don't listen to them. We're lulling you into a false sense of security and when you least expect it, BAM, your boots will be gone, your mate will be backstabbing you and your closest ally will be luring you to certain death!

Welcome to the last game you'll ever truly be addicted to... for the rest of your life.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Ha. Well, I'm no stranger to "survival of the fittest" role play, so it wouldn't be the first time a character of mine has been knocked up the side of his head and left bleeding for a pair of boots.

Quote from: Paradoxical on April 25, 2013, 12:13:38 PM
Ha. Well, I'm no stranger to "survival of the fittest" role play, so it wouldn't be the first time a character of mine has been knocked up the side of his head and left bleeding for a pair of boots.

You'll fit in, fit in quite nicely.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

If there's something Armageddon players love to do is definitely bitching and ranting, but if there's something we also love above everything else is definitely new players like you!  ;D
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Not problem, glad that you are with us.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Don't take most of the GDB too seriously. A lot of the daunting arguments and merciless nature comes from older players who need to vent steam. Its newbies that are really interested in the world, who come in to play a real character without the jaded influence of ten years of play, that freshen up the play of everyone else.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Ouch Riev, ouch.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

We're not all jaded assholes, Riev. Some of us are forward-thinking vets who know the game inside and out, all the mystery is dispelled and long dead, and we still play this game like bosses (and we are usually your boss). We are those 'excellent RPers' that do 'mindblowing emotes' and 'holy crap dialogue'. We're so awesome it's impossible to even touch an iota of our talent...

No but really, we're just normal ass players for the most part. I agree with one thing you say -- Don't take the GDB too seriously. Play the game, not the boards.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on April 25, 2013, 02:01:57 PM
No but really, we're just normal ass players for the most part.

I dunno about you, but I am way way awesome....not. :'(
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Reiloth on April 25, 2013, 02:01:57 PM
We're not all jaded assholes, Riev. Some of us are forward-thinking vets who know the game inside and out, all the mystery is dispelled and long dead, and we still play this game like bosses (and we are usually your boss).

This is how I see other characters and the world after 10+ years of playing Arm.

"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Some of us are forward thinking vets who STILL can't figure the game out.  Just sayin'.

Quote from: DustMight on April 25, 2013, 02:48:04 PM
Some of us are forward thinking vets who STILL can't figure the game out.  Just sayin'.

Yeah. What he said. Now come gimme your boots. I promise not to rip out your heart in the process.

I'd like to say thanks as well... I've been having a lot of fun, but I think my social life was drug off somewhere and done in by an angry templar. I've definitely enjoyed my character's interactions with the other players, even the unpleasant interactions.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

To all new players:
Thanks for trying out ARM!

Hope you stay.

You guys rock. Keep the blood flowing!
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 26, 2013, 12:11:34 AM
To all new players:
Thanks for trying out ARM!

Hope you stay.

You guys rock. Keep the blood flowing!

Greetings, newbies of the world!

This is how you should follow Gunnerblaster's sage advice, while not playing our fine game (or while, depending upon your personal predilection):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ByJESEGGU

Avoid DVT, Play Arm Until You Die of Something Else!*

*this public service announcement brought to you by the TICFSFB (The International Commission For Seeking Fresh Boots)
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Welcome to Crackageddon. As someone here who's not quite new, not quite old (maybe 4 years of solid playing now?), I also agree that you should NEVER take the GDB seriously. We have seen some great players ragequit Arma over the message boards, for truly silly reasons. Also, when there starts to be "I'm quitting arma forever" posts, don't let the negativity bring you down!

Secondly, when you DO get killed by someone or something, remember, every death is a lesson. Your PCs are miserable mortals who die and never get to use that lesson, but you as a player get to roll up wiser and wiser PCs and trust me, 20 deaths is nothing, 30 deaths is nothing. Some players die a lot and others barely die at all, both are okay. You'll find out which type you are after the first year or so.

Have fun! Use helper chat, definitely. If someone's post intrigues you, send them a private message, I am quite sure almost nobody minds private messages here.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on April 27, 2013, 09:46:29 AMHave fun! Use helper chat, definitely. If someone's post intrigues you, send them a private message, I am quite sure almost nobody minds private messages here.

Except for staff. Always submit a request to talk to staff. :)
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Hi.

You can trust me.

I'm very cuddly and nice.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on April 27, 2013, 10:38:02 AM
Hi.

You can trust me.

I'm very cuddly and nice.

Look at his GDB avatar.

Nuff said.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I'm still fairly new, been playing for nearly two months now. Thank's to everyone as well, and back to the topic of the thread...The lore and all is very intimidating, but once you start playing and yes, get addicted >_> You start to learn very quickly, and gain a grasp of the Arm world.

I've been playing for just over a month and I'm positively hooked. I wish I started years ago when I first began playing muds like shadows of isildur and atonement.

My biggest hook to the mud is the options for how I can play my characters. There is a play style available for just about anything all you need to do is find where you want to be and how you want to play and your set.

Wait, his guy is still breathing? Someone kill it, quick! Statistically he'll stay!
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Welcome to Armageddon!

Mantis-Head  :o

Welcome to Armageddon!
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

April 29, 2013, 01:51:01 AM #27 Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:02:20 AM by Fujikoma
Shiat, I got enough trouble staying alive already... I don't need help to get the fucker killed. Next to impossible to stay alive, anyway.

EDIT: Because I'm hammered and I don't know how much is ok to post.

EDIT EDIT: My first character lasted a real life three hours.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Werd!
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Glad to have you guys in our sandbox!

April 29, 2013, 02:24:34 AM #30 Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:28:09 AM by Fredd
Quote from: Fujikoma on April 29, 2013, 01:51:01 AM
Shiat, I got enough trouble staying alive already... I don't need help to get the fucker killed. Next to impossible to stay alive, anyway.

EDIT: Because I'm hammered and I don't know how much is ok to post.

EDIT EDIT: My first character lasted a real life three hours.

Two hours longer then my first..... I didn't know what the dwindling MV meant when I was walking west of allanak.

Edit: And after a while, your guys will live a lot longer.

Though not all the time. Even the old timers end up dead in a rl week. Shit happens!
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on April 29, 2013, 02:24:34 AM
Though not all the time. Even the old timers end up dead in a rl week. Shit happens! Carru-lock happens!

ftfy
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I have been around for a few RL years. But just lurked on the GDB.

Anyway really wanted to thank whoever helped my first char those years ago. You were an awesome Mul who helped my Red Storm city elf assassin/mercenary see the known. And learn the game. That must have been really hard to do on a Mul, and you taught me to RP better. So whoever you were, I love you for showing me the game and really getting me into the the two city dynamics.

Shorty, kudos whatever your real name was.   :)

Quote from: Barzalene on April 25, 2013, 11:57:56 AM
We are happy to have your boots.

Welcome to Armageddon!
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.