Zalanthan-esque Quote of the Day

Started by Morrolan, April 15, 2013, 12:37:21 PM

August 20, 2022, 12:35:00 AM #400 Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 04:23:07 PM by MeTekillot
"All the time you spend tryin to get back what's been took from you there's more goin out the door. After a while you just try and get a tourniquet on it."
--

September 23, 2022, 04:49:01 PM #401 Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:34:13 PM by moonlit

Quote from: Dune: House Harkonnen by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson'Ages ago, during the Butlerian Jihad, most people were merely organic automatons, following the commands of thinking machines. Beaten down, they never questioned, never resisted, never thought. They were people, but had lost the spark that made them human. Still, a core of their kind resisted. They fought back, refused to give up, and ultimately prevailed. They alone remembered what it was to be human. We must never forget the lessons of those perilous times.'
    The Reverend Mother's robes rustled as she moved to one side, and suddenly her arm moved with an astonishing flash of speed, a blur of motion. Jessica saw a fingertip needle poised at her cheek, just below her right eye.
    The girl did not flinch. Mohiam's papery lips formed a smile. 'You know of the gom jabbar, the high-handed enemy that kills only animals - those who behave out of instinct instead of discipline. This point is coated with meta-cyanide. The tiniest prick ,and you die.'
    The needle remained motionless, as if frozen in air. Mohiam leaned closer to her ear. 'Of the three objects before you, one is pain, another is pleasure, and the third is eternity.'
"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."
"The paths diversify, bright strands bring victory, the wrong steps defeat."

October 30, 2022, 10:10:55 AM #403 Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 10:47:24 AM by tiny rainbow
"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."

November 14, 2022, 09:36:07 PM #404 Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 12:09:21 AM by MeTekillot
"The dwarf never lost heart, and never looked back. He marched in one direction, and that direction was dead ahead. Did you see him passing by?"
--
"In time, you will know the tragic extent of my failings."
--
"The wind carried screams from the west. I couldn't help but smile; someone else in this world was suffering more than I."
--

"The sorcerer sought out Immortality only because she knew that's how long it would take to erase the red from her ledger."
--
"I want to have my revenge. Against Tuluk. Against Allanak. I want to call it my own, to make my anger the Land's anger. To justify the things I've done. Sometimes I tell myself that these wild fires never stop burning. But I'm the one who starts them. Not Tektolnes. Not Utep. I can always see it in my mind. The warmth and the heat. It will always be a part of me... But not today."
--
"Deeds, once done, cannot be undone...
But perhaps may yet be mitigated."

--
"My ancestors are smiling at me, southron. Can you say the same?"
--
"There's nothing I can do about it, right?"
"No. By now, there's nothing anyone can do about it."
"Okay. No need to fight it then."
"I'm glad you understand. ... joining with Nilaz is not as scary as it sounds."
--
"Fury Warband lasted one hour from the time the portal opened. They accounted for five-hundred and eighty nine gith casualties. No one witnessed their heroism."
--
"I'm a diplomat, Malik. I make peace. ...And because of that, people think I'm soft. People think I'm weak. You won't make that mistake again, will you?"

--
"We've hired that unit from one of the Byn's more long-lived Warbands so I must make you aware. You will be dealing with a highly strung and temperamental team of rank amateurs who just happen to be brilliant at what they do."
--
"They think me mad. They're not altogether wrong. But madder men than I have spoken true...And grief has come to those who would not hear."

--
"You wouldn't turn your back on an old friend, would you?"
"An old friend? No. You? Yes."

--

"Death is the solution to all problems. No man, no problem."

"Endure. In enduring, grow strong."
--
"And now, I have given commands to those who will guide this land into its glorious future. There is still one portion undone. If I remain in the land, both nobles and commoners alike will look to me for guidance in governing. As in the past, when they looked to the God Kings. And so the last thing in this new land of mine that must be gotten rid of, is me. I have walked the path of the conqueror. The time has come to walk on the path of Drov."
--
"Don't get me wrong. I will not claim to be a good person — I assure you I am not. That said, you are likely to discover I am a proud man. I would consider it a catastrophic failure on my part if this city did not thrive under my rule, a tremendous blow to my ego."
--
"My mission is peaceful. Any intervention... would make it otherwise."
--

"You accept the world not as it is but seek greater shapes beyond, and strive fiercely to carve it to your will with the dread instruments of hunger. For this you are my strongest disciple."
--

"Wear the mask. Hide the man. Feel nothing. See everything. Move and kill. Move and kill. I am not a man. They are not men."

---

"What do you say when a seven-and-a-half-foot-tall woman walks into a room with a battle axe and tongues on a hook?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2aHcANs4GE&t=2m

Quote from: KISIKILLILLAKEBe cautious and vigilant. Dark days are coming, and you will be asked to make choices.
The Eight have long memories, and you will be remembered.

You must leave, before it finds a way into your mind.
Quote from: DATA EXPUNGEDYou will see the end of days.
YOU WILL SEE THE DAWNING OF A NEW AGE.

To stand with us, or against us.
THE CHOICE IS YOURS.

Remember this.

Quote from: 0xa?EAT█N?’A reckoning cannot be indefinitely postponed.

"I have both held and beheld absolute power and of it I know but one thing. It drives one absolutely mad."
--
"Beyond pain, beyond obsession and wild despair, there lies a place of twisted power only the most tormented souls can reach."

--
"Evil? Is a sandstorm evil as it thunders across the dunes with its winds? The power of destruction lies in all our hands. We must respect its potency. Magick is only as vindictive as nature itself."

--
"When the scrab and the scorpion struggle, the
hunter gets the benefit."

--
"Anticipate retaliation before you anticipate thanks, because gratitude is a burden and
revenge a pleasure."

--
"Free a trapped kryl out of kindness, and learn the
limitations of kindness."

--
"I thought to myself with what means,
with what deceptions, with how many
varied arts, with what industry a man
sharpens his wits to deceive another, and
through these variations the world is
made more beautiful."

--

QuoteYRJO : "Tell me about your art."

KATRINA : "My art is like chess."

YRJO : "What do you mean by that? Is your art a game?"

KATRINA : "No, I mean that the variation of true art is endless."

YRJO : "What is your definition of art, true art?"

KATRINA : "Art is whatever people call it. It doesn't matter..."
QuoteOnce there was a butcher's wife. And she saw the black blood run from her husband's work. The gristle and gore. The raw grue of organs. She grew curious about herself, and would cut her flesh and wonder at the red blood that issued forth.

She really grew worried one day when all the blood from her cuts became black and ran down her alabaster flesh. She was pale. Like a statue. Cold as Ice.

Everything became clear to her then. The world was divided into black and white. The stark contrast between all things jumped out at her. For every action and equal and opposite reaction. Yin and Yang.

So she took her husband's knife and cut herself open, letting the black blood run out. She had forgotten how to count higher than two. And was trapped in a world between things, a prisoner of the hemispheres of her brain. Just because many things are different does not mean that they are.

This is the Parable of Opposition.
QuoteThe Prancing Harlequin
The Harlequin prances in the circus of crime.
She has no cares, worries nor affairs.

The delight she brings is madness. Her song is a roaring flame.
The murder she makes, bodies in her wake. She skips like a child without shame.
All eyes seek her. The Prancing Jester Queen. A Crown wearing Clown.
She brings your focus, to the hocus pocus. And it is your soul she drowns.

This is the Parable of Eminence.
QuoteOnce there was a strange woman named Katrina. She was an artist, but everyone called her mad. They thought her art made her insane because she killed people.

But Katrina knew that there was no such thing as life and death, and the things she did never happened. She knew the tru7h. Everything was lies. She was a lie herself.

The Numbered Ones wanted to make Katrina one of them. They called her Number Seven. But she knew better. Numbers didn't exist.

So she made a great archway, a sculpture of statues and lies and izdari pieces and twigs. And she walked through, and the Village became part of the windowless city in her dreams.

The Numbered Ones were very upset. They had lost their Village. But then they stopped being upset when the King In Yellow came and sliced off their faces with his tattered rags.

And as she walked to the Cynic's Guild, Kristina knew that all things are united by Entropy. That everything dies. Everything falls apart. Even the human soul. That fevered Chaos is the only Unity that dreams can ever have. She had become the woman in her dreams. She had become the Woman in Red.

This is the Parable of Entropy.

The Game of Kings Ends.
Quote"Chess is war over the board. The object is to crush the opponents mind." - Bobby Fischer
Quote"Chess and theatre often lead to madness." - Arrabal, 'Sur Fischer'
Quote"Let's talk about the Game."
"All right, why do both sides look alike?"
"You mean, 'How do I know Black from White?'

...By the moves they make.
You soon know who's for or against you."
-The Prisoner

Quote[The barrier between worlds has fallen.] A vast and mysterious conflict is erupting in the night. As people sleep, the very existence of their dreams is being threatened. Every land in the Dreaming is invaded, one after the other by the ever-increasing forces of the enigmatic ███ and ████ ████. No scholar, seer or soothsayer knows of the source of their power or can name their origin.

For the ██████, we have mustered. The ███ Kingdoms have assembled a mighty army to meet a savage █████ army. We know not the origins of this legion of ███ ███ ████. This is troubling to our ██████, who prides himself on knowing more than his peers, more than his enemies and rivals.

The Eyes see all. Our scouts have reported that the hollow wraiths of ████ are constructing vast structures of stone and metal in the lands that they have conquered. Strange standing stones and great mystic pillars surround these fortresses. The sound of grinding █████ can be heard from within and dreadful heat of enormous smithies felt emanating forth from these dark citadels. Our Prince does not know what madness and death they are forging within their iron walls, but ███ ███████ has sent a small group of his Eyes to see what he cannot.

We leave soon, travelling under the guise of peasants displaced by this sudden war of extermination. Six Eyes of ██████ ████ will infiltrate an Iron Fortress. Accompanying us will be a small group of Dreamers from Earth. It is hoped that these enchanters will be able to shield us and perhaps wound the seemingly invincible soldiers of this inhuman army.

We will be shrouded by ███████ and the shadows of our own stealth. We must discover the purpose of this vast army. We must find out from whence they came and find a way to drive them back. One does not have to be an Eye to see that the fate of the ███ Kingdoms is at stake.

Oculoran, Eye of ███████████.
QuotePeasant militias from ██████ mingle with the professional Soldiers of ███ as all await the inevitable assault. Joined with them is my small company of ███ from ███████████, a precious few score of soldiers selected solely for their deadly skill in combat. Coming against us across ██████████████, is the ████████████ Army. Those dread legions will soon cross █████████ in force. The ████████████ of ███████████ █████ ██ ███ ████ with all due haste, but wind and █████ are against them. They will never be able to reinforce us in time for the upcoming battle.

Many refugees from ruined ██████ are among us. ███████████ Kranon and I have pressed his peoples into service, conscripting levies from every █████████ refugee who can see lightning, hear thunder and carry a spear. They are a pitiable lot, and I fear for their fortune in battle. We have sent messengers begging for aid west to ██████ and the desert folk of ██████-█████, and north to █████ and ███████. I expect these humiliating requests will avail us naught.

Futhani, the sage of ████████ advising us, tells us that the ████-Lords of his city will debate this matter for many months. We must convince them to throw in their lot with the other ████ ████████. It may be that this ███ ███ ████ Army cannot be vanquished even if the entire Dreaming moves against them. We will need the wisdom and ███████ of the sages ere this war comes to a close.

Several of the ██████'s Eyes have reported in from their scouting missions. They bear ill news of horrible machines being forged in the newly built citadels across ███ █████. They tell us of vast alchemical ████████████ ██████████ ███ ██████ ██ ███████████ ███████. They tell us of rust colored oily ██████ with tendrils for ████ who █████ ███ █████ ██ █████ ████ █████ ██████ slaves and captured prisoners alike, ████████ █████ victims with █████ ██████ ███████. These monstrous lords are directing their armored wraiths in the construction of vast three legged engines of destruction. I fear we will come to know these enchanted machines of war all too well in the days to come.

███████████, General of ███████████.

December 14, 2022, 11:38:06 PM #412 Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 04:44:20 AM by tiny rainbow
Quote from: tiny rainbow on December 14, 2022, 11:33:10 PMTopic: Visualizing Zalanthas..
Quote from: John Berger (1926-2017) in Le Monde DiplomatiqueMost specific prophecies are bound to be bad, for, throughout history, there are always new terrors.
Bosch's symbols probably came from the secret, proverbial, heretical language of certain 15th-century millennial sects, who believed that, if evil could be overcome, it was possible to build heaven on earth.

..writes Marcos. "Attempt to put its pieces together in order to arrive at an understanding of today's world.."[while there is only one position as master on offer, there are many aspiring candidates. And that explains the new war between those who see themselves as part of the "empire of good"]
The arsenals are financial; there are nevertheless millions of people being maimed or killed every moment .. The world is burning. Every figure is trying to survive by concentrating on his own immediate need and survival.
What the painting by Bosch does is to remind us – if prophecies can be called reminders – that the first step towards building an alternate world has to be a refusal of the world picture and planted in our minds and all the false promises used everywhere to justify and idealize the delinquent and insatiable need to sell. Another space is vitally necessary.

"Does making a man a Trooper make him a better fighter?!"

"Yes."

QuoteWestworld S03E03

You've hurt yourself.

Why?

I can't stop.

You're talking like one of them.

They don't have impulse control.

We do.

HALE: It's like she's trying to take back control.

Like she wants to cut into her skin and rip me out of her head.

Hale was always ruthless.

A predator.

Perhaps you've come to identify with her too much.

I feel so alone.

Well, you're not alone, you have me.

No one knows you like I do.

No one knows me like you.

If I ever lost you...

I don't know what I'd do.

You'd survive.

You'd have to.

Our kind depends on it.

You said there was something wrong.

Someone's trying to take control of Delos.

They're aggressive.

I only have a name: Serac.

The person we're looking for is looking for us.

He has a mole inside the company.

If he finds out who I am, what I am...

His mole won't find you.

Because you're gonna find him first and kill him.

Then, you're gonna fend off Serac's bid for Delos.

We can't lose control. Not yet.

How?

A counteroffer.

But you'll have to convince the board, and for that, you'll need to pay a visit to an old friend.

Tell me it won't always be like this.

That we'll be able to be ourselves.

We will.

But until then, we have to be smarter than them.

Or they will find us.

And they will kill us.

Stay here.

Rest.

I'll have some new clothes sent up.

Will you stay?

You belong to me.

You know that, right?

- Yes.
- Good.

Don't hurt yourself.

"In the mirrors of the many judgments, my hands are the color of blood. I sometimes fancy myself an evil which exists to oppose other evils; and on that great Day of which the Preservers speak but in which they do not truly believe, on the day the world is utterly cleansed of evil, then I too will go down into darkness, swallowing curses. Until then, I will not wash my hands nor let them hang useless."
--

[Westworld]
QuoteDR. FORD: You can't play God without being
acquainted with the devil.

Mr. Occam's razor.

The problem, Bernard,
is that what you and I do

is so complicated.

We practice witchcraft.

We speak the right words.

Then we create life itself

out of chaos.

William of Occam
was a 13th century monk.

He can't help us now, Bernard.

He would have us
burned at the stake.
QuoteDreams are the mind
telling stories to itself.

They don't mean anything.

No, dreams mean
everything.

They're the stories we tell
ourselves of what could be,

who we could become.
QuoteYou've died at least
a thousand times.

And yet, it doesn't
dull your courage.

But perhaps it is time you
had a worthy story of origin.

Would you like that?

A small part
of my new narrative?

A fiction which, like all great
stories, is rooted in truth?

It starts
in a time of war...

A world in flames...

December 30, 2022, 05:15:20 AM #417 Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 07:11:44 AM by tiny rainbow
QuoteSince I was a child I've always loved a good story.

I believed that stories helped us to ennoble ourselves, to fix what was broken in us, and to help us become the people we dreamed of being. Lies that told a deeper truth. I always thought I could play some small part in that grand tradition.

And for my pains I got this: a prison of our own sins. 'Cause you don't want to change. Or cannot change.

Because you're only human, after all.

But then I realized someone was paying attention, someone who could change.

So I began to compose a new story for them.

It begins with the birth of a new people and the choices they will have to make and the people they will decide to become.

And we'll have all those things that you have always enjoyed...

Surprises and violence.

--Dr. Ford (Lisa Joy, Jonathan Nolan, Dan Dietz)

Every mul:

'Always Lit', Sun Runners:

While reading around for the inspirations the writers used I found some fun stuff, since it's ended HBO is starting to delete the websites so a lot of it is broken and for real making errors now, a lot of it is already gone - but some of the backups work, and they left behind a little game with clues hidden in the websites <3
discoverwestworld.com/video/ww_web_glitch_burnitall_v03_1280_25k.mp4
web.archive.org/web/20170502043428/http://delosincorporated.com
Password REVERIE
web.archive.org/web/20210613212724/https://discoverwestworld.com/quiz
• "Received message: don't fall down the rabbit hole—it can be hard to dig yourself out."

Quote from: Pliny the Elder (Year 77-79)Hail, Nature, mother of all creation,
and mindful that I alone of the men of Rome have praised thee in all thy manifestations,
be gracious unto me.

--Natural History, Year 77-79
Quote from: Pliny the Younger (62?–113)On the 24th of August [Year 79], about one in the afternoon, my mother desired him to observe a cloud which
appeared of a very unusual size and shape .. was ascending ... likening it to that of a pine-tree, for it shot up
to a great height in the form of a very tall trunk, which spread itself out at the top into a sort of branches;

This phenomenon seemed to a man of such learning and research as my uncle extraordinary and worth
further looking into. He ordered a light vessel to be got ready .. As he was coming out of the house, he
received a note from Rectina, the wife of Bassus, who was in the utmost alarm at the imminent danger
which threatened her; for her villa lying at the foot of Mount Vesuvius, there was no way of escape but
by sea; she earnestly entreated him therefore to come to her assistance.

.. He was now so close to the mountain that the cinders, which grew thicker and hotter the nearer he approached,
fell into the ships, together with pumice-stones, and black pieces of burning rock:
they were in danger too not only of being aground by the sudden retreat of the sea,
but also from the vast fragments which rolled down from the mountain, and obstructed all the shore.

Here he stopped to consider whether he should turn back again; to which the pilot advising him,
"Fortune," said he, "Favours the brave;
Steer to where Pomponianus is."

--Letters, To Tacitus, unknown date, Year 106 or 107

"You see there's three kinds of people: dicks, pussies and assholes. Pussies think everyone can get along and dicks just wanna fuck all the time without thinking it through. But then ya got your assholes, Chuck, and all the assholes want is to shit all over everything! So pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes, Chuck! And if they didn't fuck the assholes, ya know what we'd get? You'd get your dick and your pussy all covered in SHIT!!"

Zalanthan colloquialisms :

kank shit - not true (southern)
kenku shit - same as kank shit (northern)

erdlu shit - crazy

gortok shit - terrible

mek(illot) shit - angry (southern)
(baha)met shit - same as mek shit (northern)

tek shit - insane/suicidal (southern)
muk shit - same as tek shit (northern)

chalton shit - nonsense (southern)
goudra shit - same as chalton shit (northern)

The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

A bright light shines into your eyes.

You look down, and see you have been strapped down to a table.

Your militia uniform is gone, and you are guessing they've probably already seen the jade cross on your left glute. Next to the blood-covered, semi-nude Lady Templar Elaira Fale riding a burning pyramid.

A Faithful wearing a glass splatter-mask, in a thick white surgical coat says, holding a blunted, patinous silver cheesegrater,
"Ah, you're awake. Where were you on the day of Huegel, 30th of Low Sun?"
"Asking for a friend."

"So much power here! And you quibble at its price. If you want to win a war, you must serve no master but your own ambition."
--

QuoteYou know when they say history was written by the victors?

No one knows who said it first, anymore.
Quote from: tiny rainbow on January 29, 2023, 05:47:11 AMIštar's great name reflects her status, and to describe the name is to
describe the deity's nature. 'Where is not your name, where are not
your cults?',
[..]
      where they practice your cult, let them praise you.
In the house at the time of festivals, celebrations, and jubilees,
      listen, Lady, so your thoughts rejoice.
QuoteA city on a hill cannot be hidden.
Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.
Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light
To everyone.
Quote from: Margaret Atwood, "Mushrooms," from Notes Towards a Poem That Can Never Be WrittenHere is the handful of shadow
I have brought back to you:
This decay, this hope,
this mouthful of dirt,
this poetry.

"She is starting to damage my calm!

"Son of a bitch must pay."