Zalanthan-esque Quote of the Day

Started by Morrolan, April 15, 2013, 12:37:21 PM

It is dawn on Saumyavāsara, the 11th day of Pausha in Śiśira,
In the Year of Sarvari Nama, year 34 of the 112th Age, the Age of Ἔρις.

"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."
"The paths diversify, bright strands bring victory, the wrong steps defeat."

"For many of us, the road is a difficult one, but the path is always there for us to follow, no matter how many times we may fall."
"Do you ever 'fall'?"
"Every day. Some days... are harder than others."

---
"Every boss has a line to explain why he's special, why everyone gotta do what he says. Just figuring that out?"
---
"Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun."
---
"At the centre of the Ivory there is a cold white flame, just as at the centre of the Black there is a great pit bottomless as Drov."
---
"She will come for you, and you will do nothing because you can do nothing, so get the fuck out of my sight."
---
"Know that for all who betray His Faithful, I am their fate. And fate carries an executioner's axe."
"I see."
"No. You do not see. Pray that you never will."

---
"His Word was valuable to him, not only because he was Good, but also because he was Bad. It is the bad people that needs to have principles to restrain them."
---
"We can admit that we're killers, but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes. Knowing that we won't kill... today."
---
"My strength is the strength of ten soldiers, because my heart is pure."
"Well, there's eleven of them!"

---
"The weak are cruel. The strong have no need to be."
---
"It's hard to trust a woman who has just asked to borrow your lockpick."
---

"The oldest favors are the soonest forgotten."
---
"I only wish I had acquired wisdom at less of a price."
---
"What do you call assassins who accuse assassins?"
---
"How long does it go on?"
"Until we've dealt with all our enemies."
"Every time we deal with an enemy, we create two more."
"Then I suppose it will go on for quite a long time."

---

The Lion in Winter (1968) should be required viewing for all noble and templar roles.

"Damn. So much for slow-burning theatrics. Someone told you? You read the entry?"

Moreno looks at her shoes. "Uhm. No. Really, I've never seen this place before. I was just guessing."

"You look embarrassed," Wheeler says. "You're embarrassed that you hit the right answer thirty minutes before I was expecting you to. You think you've shown me up. Right? Eli. Look at me."

She looks.

"Keep operating at that level. Don't slow up for my benefit, or anyone's. It's important."

The rider gestures. Blue and brown and black spiders of all sizes cascade around the corner, flooding the passageway up to his knees, pouring over his shoulders, tumbling down towards Wheeler. They make a strange, organic rustling as they pour, like wet leaves.

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/antimemetics-division-hub
"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."

October 30, 2021, 01:03:05 AM #380 Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 01:05:42 AM by tiny rainbow
"But if we have learned nothing else, we have learned this: humans can walk away from, and forget, anything. Civilization can go back to 'normal' after anything."

"Do we deserve to be back? Have we that right? We failed in our stated objective. These people are gone, and it's useless to pretend that they aren't dead. We failed orders of magnitude harder than we've ever failed before. Despite which, we remain clandestine, and unknown to greater humanity. Which means that no one in the known can ever hold us accountable for our actions, or lack thereof. If what happened at the Unified Order meeting yesterday is any indication, we will certainly never hold ourselves accountable.

"What happened to those people? My people. Where are they? No one is just dead, no one is merely, passively dead. Death is caused."

He says, his voice rising, "These things happen. And we say to ourselves, 'Never again.' And a hundred years pass. And they happen. Again."

He says, "Last time. The time before this one, the time none of us remember, the time for which there is no evidence of any kind, but which I now realise must exist. That time, when we told ourselves and each other, 'We must do better,' what did we do differently, from then on, and why didn't it work?"

He says, "What does the Sect of the Full Moon need to be? Where does it need to be, and how far is that place from here? Can we see it from here?

"Or is this it?"

He does not know.

And after leaving the Pyramid, he knows, he will not even remember the questions.
https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/antimemetics-division-hub
---
"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards," the Queen remarked.
---
"A reckoning cannot be indefinitely postponed." --Fallen London
---

"Mr Dalliard! We have been
activated! After all these years..." (archived)
---

"... One way or the other I shall see this compound burned, seared, and sterilized until every hiding place is found and until every last Mind Worm egg, every last slimy one, has been cooked to a smoking husk. That species shall be exterminated, I tell you! Exterminated!"

---

"Against such abominations, we organize our defences on the principle that one strong and able mind can shield the many."
(archived)

"The desert is everything. It covers seven tenths of the known. Its breath is pure and healthy. No one is ever alone, for they can feel life quivering all about. The desert is only a receptacle for all the prodigious, supernatural things that exist inside it; it is only movement and love; it is the living infinite."
– ███████, "20,000 Leagues Under Steinal"

---

"Therefore ██████ sent her forth from the garden of ██████. ███ drove out the humans; and ███ placed at the east of the garden of ██████ cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life. --The Conclave Bible, ███████"
(archived)
---

"I watch it burn bright and curl, disappearing into nothingness, and the heat burns my fingers. Where has it gone? What has it become? I cannot shake the feeling that I have witnessed a form of transcendence."
– ███████, "The Convergence"

"Heroism makes fine entertainment but sooner or later someone has to get things done."
---
"Trouble with the good fight, I find... once the fight starts, the good stops."
---
"Battles may sometimes be won by the brave, but wars are always won by the clever."
---
"She had long ago learned that at least half of everything is presentation. Seem a victim, soon become one. Seem in charge, people fall over themselves to obey."
---

Love that last quote, when Joe Abercrombie hit on my girlfriend at the time at a book reading we went to, I didn't even mind.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Quote from: triste on November 03, 2021, 12:53:13 PM
Love that last quote, when Joe Abercrombie hit on my girlfriend at the time at a book reading we went to, I didn't even mind.

He's great, but the progression of the first law series made me so frustrated. It went from a 10/10 book to a 6/10 book to 3/10 book.

Anyway here's a zalanthanish quote:

"Empire was empire - the part that seduced and the part that clamped down, jaws like a vice, and shook a planet until its neck was broken and it died."

Which is from A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine. Reminds me of a few empires throughout Zalanthas and its history.

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life WERE fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."
- Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
Though this world is made of fearsome beasts that bark and bite
We were born to put these creatures through one hell of a fight

"Humans care for what they, themselves, expect to suffer or gain; and so long as they do not expect it to redound upon themselves, their cruelty and carelessness is without limit."
---

November 17, 2021, 10:09:23 AM #386 Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 01:11:45 PM by Krombat
"Everything that you thought had meaning: every hope, dream, or moment of happiness. None of it matters as you lie bleeding out on the battlefield. None of it changes what a speeding rock does to a body, we all die. But does that mean our lives are meaningless? Does that mean that there was no point in our being born? Would you say that of our slain comrades? What about their lives? Were they meaningless?...

They were not! Their memory serves as an example to us all! The courageous fallen! The anguished fallen! Their lives have meaning because we the living refuse to forget them! And as we ride to certain death, we trust our successors to do the same for us! Because my soldiers do not buckle or yield when faced with the cruelty of this world!

My soldiers push forward! My soldiers scream out! My soldiers RAAAAAGE!" Erwin, Attack on Titan

"There's no settling down. It's blood for blood and by the gallons. It's the old days. The bad days. The all-or-nothing days. They're back. There's no choices left and I'm ready for war." -Marv, Sin City

"It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

"Your sister is acting as a good child of the tribe; she is out on the battlefield marking corpses for water recovery."
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

"They rode on and the sun in the east flushed pale streaks of light and then a deeper run of color like blood seeping up in sudden reaches flaring planewise and where the earth drained up into the sky at the edge of creation the top of the sun rose out of nothing like the head of a great red phallus until it cleared the unseen rim and sat squat and pulsing and malevolent behind them."
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: tiny rainbow on January 01, 2020, 04:23:59 PM
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
The Whispering Tide rises;
The World Tree rots.

(archived)

"My services in particular come with a very high price, but you see, I've already paid it."
---
"At that instant the scales fell from my eyes, and I joined the service of the same who I once cursed."
---

Stealing this one from West World.. but heyyy  ;D

"These Violent Delights, Have Violent Ends"
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

January 02, 2022, 11:12:37 PM #395 Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:40:50 PM by MeTekillot
"The elf didn't cry tears of sadness. He didn't cry the tears of joy. No, these tears were tears you would spill, when you had found the murderer of your children and were choking him with your bare hands."
---
"Uh, the corpse is laughing."
"That's rarely a good sign."

---
"You've been waiting for him to fail; he is not going to fail. Not without our help."
---

"In time you will come to regard me not only with respect and awe, but with love."
---
"I asked her if I was going to stay alive.
She said yes, as long as I remembered.
Remembered what, I asked.
Remembered that I was alive, she answered. "

---
"I empathize and all that, but in all honesty, I can't recommend that you do anything with the dwarf."
"You think that she'd try to cheat me and screw me over?"
"No, I think that she would screw you over in complete honesty and sincerity."

---
"Never trust a people who can't lie. They find much more inventive ways to stab you in the back."
---

"Conscience can be a terrible thing. So I hear. Not if you're something like me, of course. I don't give a fuck."
---

RL Term                         Meaning                              Zalanthan Equivalent

Dogshit                          Very poor quality                  Githshit
Bullshit                          Not true                               Kankshit
Horseshit                       Nonsense                             Ratshit
Apeshit                          Rambunctious                       Carrushit
Batshit                           Insane                                 Erdlushit
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Suttree stood among the screaming leaves and called the lightning down. It cracked and boomed about and he pointed out the darkened heart within him and cried for light. If there be any art in the weathers of this earth. Or char these bones to coal. If you can, if you can. A blackened rag in the rain.
-Cormac McCarthy, Suttree
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...