Where Players Heard About Armageddon -- 2012 Edition

Started by Nyr, February 07, 2013, 11:04:59 AM

Shield Wall Suicide Prevention Hotline?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I can't cite any examples, but interacting with the MUD community at large, I've gotten the impression that folk seem to think that we Arm players are rabid dogs.

I seriously don't see it, though.

I hypothesize it's because of the strict IC/OOC barrier, and how we'll often correct new players when they accidentally or purposefully cross it.  People may be taking this the wrong way.  This shouldn't change, though.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on February 13, 2013, 03:54:55 PM
I can't cite any examples, but interacting with the MUD community at large, I've gotten the impression that folk seem to think that we Arm players are rabid dogs.

There is a healthy bit of elitism among this playerbase that tends to show on the boards.  It never bothered me because I'm schizoid, but it is there and I think non-armag players pick up on it.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

February 14, 2013, 06:41:24 AM #54 Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:48:38 AM by Norcal
Quote from: Feco on February 13, 2013, 03:54:55 PM

Toks Feco. Rabid Toks.

But seriously, as of today, Arm is number 6 on TMS. So we must be doing something right. I first heard about Arm while jumping through a bunch of MUD forums.  People had good things to say about it so I came. Then Calavera put something in my soup and I have never been able to leave.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

My 2 sid:

The bottle neck is clear. but if to much is done then we risk moving arm away from what we love about it. So how do we get more people to actually play?

As I noticed, a fair amount of people stop playing in the hall of kings, and shortly after. (Do we have metrics on the time they log in, by chance?) I have personally ran into a brand new player or two that was kind of lost in the HOK and instead of pushing through to play, I sat there and spoke to them oocly, to help them out. Even got one there tuluki tattoos in the right places.

Now I would like to THINK that these two players I helped might actually still be playing. But regardless. Would it be possible to let "helpers" sit in the Hall of kings oocly to help these new people, if they so choose? Perhapse make a HOK Help command to get someones attention? I think that would not be any determent to the game, and help ease this bottle neck of people that honestly seem to want to play the game, but quit due to confusion, or not seeing anyone in 30 mins because they happen to be off peak.

Edit: I found Arm through my Mud client Pueblo. You can do a search of known games based on criterea. I wanted something harsh, so I looked for "Slavery" and "permadeath"
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

When I first heard of Arm, I was busy building on another MUD. Between my building, I was playing, and trying to promote RP on that MUD with very poor success, since the players/staff weren't on board with the idea. Finally, a fellow player clued me into Arm..

Haven't had the urge to make something different since.

Quote from: Fredd on February 14, 2013, 07:27:57 PM

Now I would like to THINK that these two players I helped might actually still be playing. But regardless. Would it be possible to let "helpers" sit in the Hall of kings oocly to help these new people, if they so choose? Perhapse make a HOK Help command to get someones attention? I think that would not be any determent to the game, and help ease this bottle neck of people that honestly seem to want to play the game, but quit due to confusion, or not seeing anyone in 30 mins because they happen to be off peak.

This seems like an idea at least worth testing. Perhaps it could be tried for a set period, data reviewed and then the idea evaluated and a decision about permanence made.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on February 16, 2013, 09:04:41 AM
Quote from: Fredd on February 14, 2013, 07:27:57 PM

This seems like an idea at least worth testing. Perhaps it could be tried for a set period, data reviewed and then the idea evaluated and a decision about permanence made.

Sorry for the bump and late chime in, but has this been tested yet?   I have seen this used once in (yes, I do mean it it) Furcadia.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

With the implementation of a global OOC help channel for newbies, this would be a redundant thing to have.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Ah, I see, and duh...OR ARE YOU JOKING?!
Fredd-

Quote from: Nyr on March 31, 2013, 06:11:24 PM
With the implementation of a global OOC help channel for newbies, this would will be a redundant thing to have.

;D
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

The newbie ooc channel thing is most likely a joke, but I honestly love that idea...one of my favorite things about playing armageddon has always been helping new players play the game.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Aye, that's what I'm suggesting that the channel thing is a joke.  But the problem with either, is what if a Helper isn't on when the new player logs in for the first time and has a question.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on March 31, 2013, 06:41:01 PM
Aye, that's what I'm suggesting that the channel thing is a joke.  But the problem with either, is what if a Helper isn't on when the new player logs in for the first time and has a question.
A helper is always on.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Not true, I have seen that sign saying "offine" a few times off peak hours.
Fredd-

A friend turned me on to Arm almost two years ago and I've since dropped the other games I played in favor of Arm.

Interestingly, to me at least, the first character I made here was completely out of theme for the game and in-game events have turned her into something that would get the character "imm slain" on some of the other games I played previous. Easily. No staff intervention or out of character coaching, just the game turning a good person wrong and I think that speaks volumes for what the game has going for it.

I like that there is no out of character safety net preventing in-game consequences to someones character just because they don't want to go from pretty to ugly or popular to pariah. There is no fluffy Imm waiting in the wings to swoop down and scold me for my character being 'mean' to someone.

It doesn't matter who it is, everyone is eventually someone elses victim.

The Byn is the reason I stuck it out with the game long enough to get into the game and I expect most of my future characters will spend time in the clan, just so I can do for other new players what was done for me.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Nyr on March 31, 2013, 06:11:24 PM
With the implementation of a global OOC help channel for newbies, this would be a redundant thing to have.

It was more the letting helpers hang out in the HOK so first timers can get help, and immediate help with things like tattoos, starting equipment.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on April 02, 2013, 01:06:58 AM
It was more the letting helpers hang out in the HOK so first timers can get help, and immediate help with things like tattoos, starting equipment.

Is a really good idea. Beats when those muds just have NPC's with help scripts and stuff...
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

No, the most difficult stage is after HoK when they get in the game, there's nobody in the tavern, and they're like "now what?" and there's a billion different commands they have to begin grappling with. That's when they need helpers the most. So I do prefer a toggle-able OOC newbie help channel that is only accessible by 0-karma players and designated Helpers.

bums me out that it was a joke  :(

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I'd like a help channel that was closer to the wish system. Only designated in-game helpers can see messages sent to the channel and only they can reply to them. That way there's no degeneration into an OOC chat channel.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on April 02, 2013, 01:15:47 AM
No, the most difficult stage is after HoK when they get in the game, there's nobody in the tavern, and they're like "now what?" and there's a billion different commands they have to begin grappling with. That's when they need helpers the most. So I do prefer a toggle-able OOC newbie help channel that is only accessible by 0-karma players and designated Helpers.

Yeah, that was the main thing I disliked about the newbie channel idea was that you had to play a month before you could toggle it off. I think the idea of a channel to help new players out is a fantastic idea.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: MeTekillot on April 02, 2013, 01:31:24 AM
I'd like a help channel that was closer to the wish system. Only designated in-game helpers can see messages sent to the channel and only they can reply to them. That way there's no degeneration into an OOC chat channel.

+1
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on April 02, 2013, 05:31:29 AM
Quote from: MeTekillot on April 02, 2013, 01:31:24 AM
+1
+1
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2