Are PC tattoo artists possible?

Started by Marauder Moe, August 21, 2003, 08:52:21 PM

I know it takes a while to create and load objects (tattoos too) but is it possible for PCs to apply a tattoo to another PC?  I would think a player who RPed such a proffesion and could provice unique tattoos could get a lot of business, but also would certainly require a lot of staff assistance.  Is this even possible, though?

I've seen such things done in other Muds- it might take extensive coding, but, it could be -very- interesting in the long run.

But the real question is- would everyone have a common set of designs? What do you do about custom designs? Just.. submit them, and hope that they get added to your list of tattoos you're able to do?

It's something that'd be extremely cool, and all the same very difficult to get in, when you get to thinking about it.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Didn't someone once bring up the idea of a tattoo skill?

Or maybe I dreamed that.

It would be cool though.    Although the failed tattooing you'd have to do to get good might not make you too many friends :twisted:
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Well, I'm not thinking of a skill or any way to create a tattoo on the spot.  I suppose I'm asking if said PC tattoo artist could e-mail the staff with some designs and log in Saturday night with tattoo 'objects' that he can put on other people.

My suggestion would be to e-mail the mud account and poke around for an immortal sponsor. If your application is good enough, someone might decide to take an interest in the character and help you out by doing the code work to back up your role-play.

I don't know if the staff does that or not, but I don't see the harm in e-mailing to find out. No harm in asking, right?
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Well, I'm really a long way from a new character.  I was just curious.

Now that I think about it, you'd probably need some sort of tattoo consent code as well to avoid this:

The burly, hard-nosed templar has lost link.
>apply pink templar face
You apply the pink poofy-tailed gortok tattoo to the burly, hard-nosed templar's face.
>run

This goes out to Immortals:

How unfeasable would it be, if I wanted to play a tattoo artist PC, for me to actually be an NPC?
I'd send the mud all my tattooes and I'd walk around the world pulling out my drawings (when they type list) and they can purchase the tattoo directly from me?
I know it sounds a little nuts and I'm not sure if it's possible but I think it might be a good special role, for someone trusted and that has at least ten nice tattoo designs in advance.

Doable?

This was before my time, but I once heard that in the Northlands (before it was New Tuluk), there was a female elf or half-elf PC that worked for one of the major clans and claimed to be a tattoo artist as a side job.  Presumably she would custom make tattoos for players and submit them probably along the same lines as a Kadian merchant would process custom made items.  I'd prefer it this way to being able to write your own in game, without staff reviewing the wording.  One of the things I admire most of Armageddon is the perfection applied to all rooms, NPCs, and item descs, and I would hate to see the quality of writing lessen if just anyone could use it based on a skill.

Yes, that northern lady did do those tattoos, but that was (I believe) before the time of the actual tattoo code. I know myself and a few other characters recieved tattoos from her. We would do a quick OOC correspondance after ICly explaining the tattoos, to see if she had a tattoo written up for it, or if the tattooee wanted to write it up, then it was sent to the MUD with a log and put in as soon as it was convenient.

I'm not sure of the feasibility of putting the tattooist script on a PC - among other things, I think it would mean you wouldn't be able to use merchants at all. I will mail the coder whose script it is to ask how feasible it would be. We have had player-applied tattoos before, but it involved the person mailing in the request/design like a regular player request, which takes an indeterminate amount of time and is not immediate.