What are some languages and accents you'd like to see in game?

Started by Adj, November 10, 2012, 02:14:09 AM

Quote from: Case on January 16, 2013, 02:42:30 PM
aid luv tuh see thuh en zud aksunt un gaem

nuthun karaktuhraizus betuh thun ledjubal aksuntz

Yis, I virry gid iccint.
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

What if someone wanted to play a character that was actually unintelligible?

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 18, 2013, 11:21:07 AM

>em produces a series of unintelligible sounds.

Profit.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Well not absolutely unintelligible, but like less-than-optimally-intelligible?  Like, say, Boomhower from King of the Hill, Ozzy Osborne, or anyone from Glasgow.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 18, 2013, 12:44:00 PM
Well not absolutely unintelligible, but like less-than-optimally-intelligible?  Like, say, Boomhower from King of the Hill, Ozzy Osborne, or anyone from Glasgow.

Daintily holding his long clay mug by the handle and taking a sip from it while spewing forth words in a nigh-unintelligible northen drawl, the northie in the Gaj says, in northern-accented sirihish,
       "I thought I'd asked directions to find the local tavern, not the rathole."
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

My previous post (suggesting that part of language comprehension be coded for accent) Plus the ability to >change accentthickness 1-10.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I spec apped a PC once that had some physical mutations that made speech very hard for him.
Nessalin (I think he was the one who set me up) couldn't make him not have a coded accent even when he lowered my accent skill to zero. I just threw in some random letters to try and make it look like someone speaking a language you barely understand.... with a northern accent. ;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Wolfsong on January 15, 2013, 06:29:06 PM
Quote from: Bast on January 15, 2013, 05:17:04 PM
I have cheated on Arm recently to try another mud. They let you set your own accent on it so like you could always 'gruffly intones', or whatnot thought it was a cool feature.

A douche-bag says, in a subsonic rumbling bass-like tone, "Hi this was an actual voice string from an actual srs RPI mud that wolfsong saw and raged at lol."

Oh well, there goes my idea for apping a templar that talks like Soundwave.

:-[

How to Present Unintelligible Speech, by Teh Lizzeh:

1. Spend some time going over logs of you listening to other characters speaking in their native languages, which your characters didn't understand yet.
1a. If you don't have logs, or if you've never encountered this phenomenon, start doing so. Each language has certain attributes that are recognizeable to those who don't understand. A *hypothetical* example: Mirrukim uses lots of g's and k's. Allundean uses a lot of t's and s's (I do NOT know which letters are most commonly used, I have it in a log somewhere and I don't feel like looking it up. But certain attributes do exist).

2. Start thinking of examples of the sounds you want to make, based on 1 and 1a.

3. Make sure those examples are pronounceable, even if unintelligible. For instance:

"Mgkhftch" is not a pronounceable jumble of letters. However...

"Migakhefitch" is.

4. Come up with letter combinations that you can use consistently. Such as "m'lechi" to represent your version of "this guy," "that person," or any variety thereof.

5. Make sure that -your- character knows what he's saying, even if no one else does. You can use thinks to express that knowledge.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.