What are some languages and accents you'd like to see in game?

Started by Adj, November 10, 2012, 02:14:09 AM

For me at least an outpost and storm accent.

Allanak has two but the outpost does not get one because it's too close to Tuluk and storm can't get one because it's too close to allanak?

I've read a few really great ideas on the GDB but are there any other ARGHSOME ideas you'd like to see with accents or languages?

(this is an exciting conversation topic because it's a game changer fo sho)

Whoops, mispost!

But yeah, I'd like to hear mixes of accents. Rinthi southy. Maybe a rinthi northie?

Eastside and Westside totally need their own accents.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I'd like relative accents. As an Australian, I can't tell with the same reliability which American accent is which as an American can.

As such I'd like to see northern/southern accents be relative. A Red Stormer can probably tell a nakkie accent from a Tuluki accent. But maybe he struggles telling the difference between a 'rinthi and a nakkie.

Meanwhile a Luirs Outpostsmen would have no trouble telling a Tuluki accent from his own accent. But might struggle with Allanak and Red Storm accents.

I feel like anyone that lives in Luirs would see enough Allanaki travelers to know what they sound like.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

The Known World, IMO, is meant to represent a pretty small area overall. Even if you RP the journey as realistically as possible, taking into account difficult terrain, avoiding travel at midday due to excessive heat, fatigue, etc. you can still get from one end to the next in a relatively short period of time. And I don't think that's meant to represent OOC convenience, I think the world really is meant to be that small. Beyond these borders is simply uninhabitable or unreachable land. The Known World is a barely livable scrap of earth in an otherwise dying, withering world. With that many people crammed within what few resources are available, I don't think languages would be all that extensive.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I wish gypos got a special accent, the 'tribal' label doesn't do them justice.

But yeah, I'm just a massive gypo fan.

Quote from: Akaramu on November 10, 2012, 07:31:58 AM

I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

A luirs accent, and a storm accent, would be nice. After all, we have a 'rinthi accent in the same city as Allanak...

tribal is fine for gypsies IMO, that to me says 'native bendune speaker'.

Luirs accent could easily be lumped with other tribal accents, as it's probably a blend of them. I don't think we need an accent for every tribe and location out there. It's up to players to show their roots. It's easy to do it, every tribe out there has a lexicon, mix up some of those words with your bendune or allundean or whatever. A city dweller shouldn't be able to codedly recognize a 'Soh accent', for example.

I wish this myself. Not because I'm a fangirl.

Because the gypsy way of life and dialect are different. One thing that's pretty much not hard to make a distinction with is: They're the only ones who have wagons like a GMH. There are a massive number of other differences as well. And where all human tribals 'but' gypsies share a forum, gypsies have their own clan forum. They are also sponsored roles. They are significantly different both IC and OOC.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

If you look at how accents are done you'd notice they are categorised by the overall region or culture group they're in and it makes sense to keep it simple that way, leaving the little details out of the equation. If you absolutely wanted that, I think it would make the most sense to have sub-accents that are recognisable by characters skilled in the regional accents.

Therefore if you had southern accent you could tell the difference between farm-accent, nak-accent and storm-accent.
If you had tribal accent you could tell Tavan-accent, Seik-accent or Gypsy-accent and so on.

That might take alot of work to code though, and I'm not sure if the reward is worth it. Personally, I like a little mystery that causes me to ask "where are you from?"
Keepin' it dusty,
                     Mr.B

EvilRoeSlade: "There's something seriously wrong when I say aide and everyone hears whore."

dorf accent
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I think they should, because they don't deserve to have the same accent as REAL tribals like the truly nomadic Arabet and Al Seik.

Posers.

Quote from: roughneck on November 10, 2012, 02:13:17 PM

I think they should, because they don't deserve to have the same accent as REAL tribals like the truly nomadic Arabet and Al Seik.

Posers.

<3 Seik and Arabet, I've been a fangirl of for years. I could not agree with you more.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: roughneck on November 10, 2012, 02:13:17 PM

Posers.

Agreed!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Warrens' accent.. The seedier side of Tuluk should have representation.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 10, 2012, 06:21:22 PM
want to see a mantis accent.

Maybe they have one but you won't know unless you learn their language or find a bug who speaks a language you understand... Pure speculation, of course.

Deep.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I would like to see the last 5-10% of language comprehension be according to the accent.

so, at 100% language skill sirihish (or however it works), if someone is not speaking in an accent you know, you lose some of the letters (like you do when you do not have master language skill level).

Each accent could substitute a specific letter, perhaps, not random:

Northern: h
Southern: n
Tribal: a
etc.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

That's a pretty interesting idea I think.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I think that would be just annoying. We don't need code to take care of every little thing.

Agreed.
I want someone to speak with a more curved to the asian broken-english accent.
"Herrow dare."
"You get out my store now, or I caw da mawitia!"
"Oh, you tink I won'!? Gawds! Gawds!"
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors