Lumber axe is to wood what pickaxe is not to stone?

Started by Maker, September 16, 2012, 11:26:10 PM

Just on a whim, I looked at the desc for a pickaxe in a tool shop.  The desc even states the implement is more for breaking stone than skulls.  Have to hold it with both hands, like a lumber axe, so I figured I'd take it out for some stone foraging.  Can't use it like a lumber axe.  Can't forage holding it.  Is this an as of yet but soon to be implemented tool, or is it just a waste of money?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

obsidian and glass mining

you can find deposits of obsidian and glass in the desert and use it to mine them.

Quote from: Maker on September 16, 2012, 11:26:10 PM
Just on a whim, I looked at the desc for a pickaxe in a tool shop.  The desc even states the implement is more for breaking stone than skulls.  Have to hold it with both hands, like a lumber axe, so I figured I'd take it out for some stone foraging.  Can't use it like a lumber axe.  Can't forage holding it.  Is this an as of yet but soon to be implemented tool, or is it just a waste of money?

No, he's talking about a pickaxe, not a glasshacker. (unless you can also use a pickaxe to hack at the deposits with?)

I find it very annoying as well that you need both hands to hold a shovel. You'd think that shovel would give a slight bonus to foraging, but obviously you can't forage without one hand free.

Some pickaxes you can hold with just one hand, though, Maker.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Try to find a deposit of something somewhere, see if you can use it there.
edit- sorry guess this was already said

I think they are intended for glass/obsidian...

But also would be nice if you could still forage with things like pickaxes and shovels. Giving appropriate bonus' for what you are looking for (pickaxe for stone etc).
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

AFAIK holding a lumber axe does not have any effect on foraging wood.

You 'use' the axe in an appropriately forested room in order to cut down trees.

When undertuluk was around, you could find veins of various stone. Not just obsidian and glass, all kinds of different stone. You were able to use those pickaxes to mine those veins. I do believe veins still exist outside of UnderTuluk, but that you'll have to figure out ICly.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

oh god minecraft flashbacks have to mine iron with stone and diamond with iron i'm gonna die

Quote from: SmashedTregil on September 17, 2012, 12:58:02 AM
When undertuluk was around, you could find veins of various stone. Not just obsidian and glass, all kinds of different stone. You were able to use those pickaxes to mine those veins. I do believe veins still exist outside of UnderTuluk, but that you'll have to figure out ICly.

I miss Undertuluk. :(

I never played there....but I miss the option to. I always planned to. Sniff.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Why was Undertuluk removed?
Quote from: evilcabbage on September 20, 2012, 02:34:00 AM
I slam my face on my keyboard and watch for words to come out, then I write around those.

Quote from: a ginger afro on September 17, 2012, 05:58:29 AM
Why was Undertuluk removed?

Ask about what happened to Undertuluk in game for a good story.

But yes, I think it's sad that it's gone but if you want that sort of experience you can still find the allanaki sewers... Tuluk has plenty without Undertuluk.

I may be wrong here, but I think that at some point I used a pickaxe one handed to forage for stuff.  Kind of like a stab and pull motion, then spreading rubble around to look for whatever it was I was foraging for.

UnderTuluk was an awesome place and was the city-within-a-city for Tuluk at the time, similarly to how the Labyrinth is the city-within-a-city for Allanak.  Read the history of the game for more info on why UT was removed...
You notice: A war beetle squeezes out an Orin-sized ball of dung.

Not all shovels require you to use both hands.  The same is true for pickaxes.  In fact, most shovels (and pickaxes) in the DB do not have this requirement.  Also, shovels have other uses, and that is probably why the ones requiring two hands are meant to be used in specific instances (such as mining or poop scooping).

Try using a smaller shovel (or pickaxe).  (Or a different shovel/pickaxe.)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on September 17, 2012, 12:27:04 PM
UnderTuluk was removed because of reasons.

Yep!

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/cgi-bin/help_index/timeline.php
In Tuluk, repeated waves of murky water crash in from west of the Scaien Gates, leveling Red Sun Commons, destroying many buildings, leaving thousands dead, and flooding UnderTuluk.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Dwarf Focus, buy many a pick axe, pay many a grebber to emote digging under tuluk back out, be king of a hole in the ground.

Not exactly on topic, but figured I'd hijack the thread since it is vaguely about what I was curious about.

When using an axe to chop lumber, on a successful felling of a tree  you lose no stamina...

When using a hacker to chop 'sid, on a successful chopping of stone, you -do- lose stamina...

Just wondering if that's supposed to be like that or if one of those is buggy.

If you break off a chunk of rock, you have to move the rock

If you chop down a tree, you just have to stand back
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Honestly, it doesn't make sense why there would be no stamina charge to successfully fell a tree.  You're still swining the axe. 
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

Quote from: My 2 sids on September 18, 2012, 08:24:35 AM
If you break off a chunk of rock, you have to move the rock

If you chop down a tree, you just have to stand back

Funny how those tree cutting echoes seem to assume multiple chops per tree, but it's possible to succeed on your first try.

(Though you should be emoting anyway!)