> k Templar

Started by FantasyWriter, August 24, 2012, 08:04:06 PM

I propose the removal of the Kiss social.
Have the game automatically alias 'k' to 'Look.'
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I aliased mine to "key."

I support the removal of the kiss social, with out without a redefining.

I support it too.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I was going to say something about not playing the game drunk, but you could just be clumsy.

But all socials are scum, anyway.

The only ones that are truly need are nod, wave, smile and smile.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

August 24, 2012, 09:03:29 PM #7 Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:05:02 PM by MeTekillot
no

If you think about it realistically, how often do you just plainly NOD at someone without any other sort of indicator that you get what they're saying?

And I like to emote the way my character smiles. Sometimes they crinkle their eyes or wrinkle their nose or bare of a bunch of hideous teeth.

And having a signature wave is a staple of being COOL

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 24, 2012, 09:03:29 PM
no

If you think about it realistically, how often do you just plainly NOD at someone without any other sort of indicator that you get what they're saying?

And I like to emote the way my character smiles. Sometimes they crinkle their eyes or wrinkle their nose or bare of a bunch of hideous teeth.

I do..but I'm notoriously bland in my use of facial expressions and don't often speak with my hands.

Also, I too advocate the removal of the kiss social. It's caused far too many awkward moments. Mine may have been with a templar as well. I don't remember for sure, but it was definitely someone I had no business kissing.

The figure in a red, hooded templar's robe says, his one good eye a dull white orb in the flickering torchlight, his voice the rustling slither of a snake in dry reeds, in sirihish,
   "Kiss them all."
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 24, 2012, 09:03:29 PM
no

I nod at people without any other indication that I get what they're saying, all the time. Usually it's because I'm really not listening to anything they're saying at all, but don't want to be blatantly rude about it. So I just nod every time I hear them end a sentence. If their voice lilts up, as though asking a question, I might nod and say "uh huh." I'm still not listening to them and have no idea what they're saying, and therefore don't get what they're saying, even remotely.

Sometimes, my smile is just as fake as my nod. It's just a generic smile, meant to be polite to someone I don't know, and don't really care about.

I wave differently to different people depending on the circumstance. When I'm waving to a regular customer who is obsessed with his stint in the Army back in 1963, I might do a two-fingered half-salute/half-wave for him. If I'm waving to my sister to call her over through a crowd at a party, I'll wave frantically. If someone I don't know waves in my direction, and I don't see anyone nearby that they might be waving to, I'll usually just wave, generically, to be polite, since they went to the trouble of waving at me first.

So yeah, I use nod OFTEN without any qualifer, in real life.
I use smile OFTEN without any qualifier in real life.
I wave - differently most of the time, so I agree with the end result of your opinion on the wave, though not with the reasoning for it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Somebody other then me should look up past GDB threads on this subject, they go all the way back to the very first one and before.

But the basics is, Kiss social was left in simply BECAUSE K and L are right next to each other and we would rather have the newbs or butter fingers Kiss the templar then Kill the templar. Butter fingers includes staffers who can insta Kill you or an entire city.

Nah, leave as is.

And honestly, If you don't want to roll with it, just OOC the fact that you meant to look...and if the other players don't want to roll with that, log out and file a complaint...Or stop being so lazy and type look templar instead of l templar.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Lizzie on August 24, 2012, 10:05:34 PM

That's probably not true at all. There are tons of different ways of to nod and smile, all reflective of subtle differences in your mood, response or level of attentiveness. If you are distracted you will give a slightly different nod to if you are engaged in what someone is saying. Subtle inflections on your facial expression will accompany. Etc etc etc.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: X-D on August 24, 2012, 10:16:00 PM
But the basics is, Kiss social was left in simply BECAUSE K and L are right next to each other and we would rather have the newbs or butter fingers Kiss the templar then Kill the templar. Butter fingers includes staffers who can insta Kill you or an entire city.

That looks like a perfect argument to change k to trigger look instead of kiss.  It accomplishes the kill-mistake avoidance AND is much less ICly jarring when the mistake is made than kissing someone.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

k templar
You must type 'kill' in order to initiate combat.

woah
woah we have removed the kiss social
not changed the k key to the l key
and now people are not accidentally murderizing templars when they simply want to gander at the fine gams of the resident Faithful Lady

"but metekillot" you balefully state, "now those who would use k to shorten the kill message will not be able to summarily initiate combat and murder a fellow before he throws off an emote"

young squire
i shall instruct yee in the way of

alias k kill

Why "kill" or "look" when "keyword" obviously comes before either?
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

your wisdom shines forth in precedent.

Quote from: Maso on August 24, 2012, 10:33:26 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on August 24, 2012, 10:05:34 PM

That's probably not true at all. There are tons of different ways of to nod and smile, all reflective of subtle differences in your mood, response or level of attentiveness. If you are distracted you will give a slightly different nod to if you are engaged in what someone is saying. Subtle inflections on your facial expression will accompany. Etc etc etc.

As I am reading this my wife is talking to her dad and he is nodding with just a neutral expression.  

People nod a lot irl without really having some expresssion to go with it.
:-)

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on August 24, 2012, 11:24:47 PM

If it was strictly alphabetical, "kill" would come before "kiss."
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

In Zalanthas, people kiss before they kill.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 24, 2012, 11:31:01 PM
Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on August 24, 2012, 11:24:47 PM

If it was strictly alphabetical, "kill" would come before "kiss."

And "kank" has them both beat.

Quote from: Delirium on August 25, 2012, 12:29:28 AM
>kank templar

Oh man, I wish we had a kank command. That'd streamline the mudsex. Think of the increase in productivity!

I support the implementation of the kank command.
Clothes make the man.  Naked people have little or no influence in society.
~Mark Twain

I love you guys. :)
Grebber - One who grebs.