Forcing mortally wounded characters

Started by drunkendwarf, July 30, 2012, 01:32:11 PM

I think you should be able to 'force' mortally wounded characters to perform limited actions. Namely, holding something you put in their hands. (Of course, one could argue said wounded character should be able to release items forcibly placed in their hands as well) There may be other things you should probably be able to do with them as well, but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

They could be forced to swallow cures or food, or drink water. That would rock out.

I foresee a large can of worms should something like this ever be implemented.  Forcing someone else's character to do something not of their Player's will has usually been reserved for those karma guilds that are feared for a reason and kept restricted, or to certain restricted roles and abilities.  Giving carte blanche to everyone to be able to force someone into doing something when their hp it as a certain level will open up the gates to "complaint hell" on the Staff side of things.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on July 30, 2012, 02:45:03 PM
I foresee a large can of worms should something like this ever be implemented.  Forcing someone else's character to do something not of their Player's will has usually been reserved for those karma guilds that are feared for a reason and kept restricted, or to certain restricted roles and abilities.  Giving carte blanche to everyone to be able to force someone into doing something when their hp it as a certain level will open up the gates to "complaint hell" on the Staff side of things.

While I see your point if a character is mortally wounded, the only options another player currently has is to attempt at bandaging/healing or killing them. I can foresee no more "complaint hell" from someone attempting to feed/water/cure a dying person than there would be failing bandage/killing them.

So I am all for this idea. :)

QuoteSomeone puts something to your lips.  Swallow?  Y/N
You put a waterskin to X's lips, attempting to give them a drink.
You swallow.
X swallows (liquid) from waterskin.
You refuse to swallow
(liquid) spills from waterskin as you fail to get X to swallow

I dunno how the yes/no bit would be coded without being too clunky, but this would ALLOW unconscious people to be force fed pills/water/poison whatever while still retaining local control of the character.  Since they are unconscious they wont see what they are about to ingest and will have to decide if their character is in a position to swallow.

Can still be abused, but what can't be?
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Instead of a yes/no query every time someone tries to do something for you, what about a Nosave healthcare?

Very tidy idea. Or maybe nosave neardeath for forced actions during that phase.

Quote from: Pale Horse on July 30, 2012, 02:45:03 PM

Anyone who would complain about this is just silly. Your character is unconcious/mortally wounded. You have no control over them at that given point. This would be a clear step towards being realistic, to be able to force feed, etc someone in this state.

I like this idea. Being able to force feed people medicine/food/water/poison after they have dropped into negative hit points would be awesome.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I'll have to agree with drunkendwarf here.. Complaining about things being done to your character when he might as well be dead is a bit silly. That said, I do like this idea.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I'm all for it.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

It should be like that sniper girl in Full Metal Jacket, who is mortally wounded but with her last gasps was able to say  shoooot........meeee.....shooooot.....meeeee.
Be pretty fun for R.P. if knowing you will see Mantis Head in 2min. You could emote and gasp out a few last words.

Well you can still emote now. Just can't talk though.  :-\

Quote from: timb on July 30, 2012, 11:01:03 PM
It should be like that sniper girl in Full Metal Jacket, who is mortally wounded but with her last gasps was able to say  shoooot........meeee.....shooooot.....meeeee.
Be pretty fun for R.P. if knowing you will see Mantis Head in 2min. You could emote and gasp out a few last words.

She had 1 hp.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

She can't have had 1hp. Why didn't she get up and leg it?
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Yes please. I'd love to be able to speak while my character is dying.

Quote from: Maso on July 31, 2012, 01:30:55 AM
She can't have had 1hp. Why didn't she get up and leg it?

Because she was a good RPer deserving of kudos. Not like me, who will happily sprint for miles at less than 5% HP, using my intestines as a jump-rope as I go.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 31, 2012, 01:34:43 AM

Yes please. I'd love to be able to speak while my character is dying.

Joining in the derail, but ...  I dunno ...  Sometimes a PC's death would be traumatic, and instantaneous.  I guess if it's between -9 and 0?  That really would be neat-o.

/derail

Totally on board with force feeding dying characters.  Wonder how long before someone feeds their victims beetle turds, though.

I have a better idea.

wish all hey can I get a "bloody entrails" item to feed to this person I just disemboweled in a fight? I want to make good on a threat I made

August 01, 2012, 01:02:49 AM #19 Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:19:50 AM by Dresan
This idea would be great if it were made into a skill. Anyone could do it, but physicians should be the only ones who could pull it off without actually injuring someone. The skill should also allow physicians to move a mortally wounded person without hurting them.

A master physician with the right tools, in the right room and with a bit of luck would then be able to bring a person who is mortally wounded back to 1 hp.

Seriously the few times you encounter a mortally wounded PC you can't help but feel dismayed at the fact that master physicians really don't exist in this game. I know that can be seen as fitting in the harsh world of zalanthas but don't know its still somewhat sad. Personally I've always thought if you end up with less then 15 percent of your max hp, you should need PC and/or expensive NPC assistance to heal yourself back up again.

A master physician can already bring someone back from mortally wounded.  Bandage is like magick if you practice it enough.

As for the idea of feeding or orally rehydrating someone who is unconscious:  that's just nonsense.  They're more likely to aspirate it than to actually swallow it.  So now they're in hemorrhagic shock -and- they've got a bronchial obstruction or aspiration pneumonia.  Unless you want to mastercraft a damn nasogastric tube or something.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Mastercraft my ass. Use a shik needle.

Oh man, thanks for prompting me to look that up.  Great quotes.

"Wren, using a quill and a pig's bladder, created
the first working IV infusion device. His first
experiment, in 1658, was to instil a mixture of
wine, ale, opium and liver of antimony into a dog's
veins. The dog tolerated it remarkably well..."

I'll say.  I could use one of those cocktails right about now.

"Doctors responded with the conventional
treatments of the day : bleeding the patient, administration
of brandy and laudanum (opium in alcohol)
and the breathing of nitrous oxide. Needless to
say, these did more harm than good."

But that reminds me:  RECTAL ADMINISTRATION.

Bottoms up, if you will.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Just to add to everything that's been said:

I think anyone should be capable of forcing anyone dying of thirst, to drink unpoisoned water. No it's not very realistic to limit it to that. It's more of a playability issue, on the part of the thirsty dying person. It can take a long-ass time to die of thirst, and it can take even longer to get rescued, subdued, and dragged indoors to stave off thirst long enough for a person to recover long enough to take a sip on their own. If someone wants to kill someone who's already dying of thirst, it wouldn't be too difficult, there's no need for the "force-quench" command to allow people to feed them poisoned water. Also, since they're already dying, it'd be a waste of poison. Just stick them some place where no one can rescue them and wait it out. If the victim has to lay there for an hour, and their player is stuck there, the least you can do is be stuck there with them, if you -really- want them to die.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

If you are on the brink of death, dehydrated and unconscious in a stone age world, you should die.

Besides, the bandage skill is practically magic and can solve a lot of these issues which don't occur very often anyways.