How many GDB accounts do you have?

Started by Schrodingers Cat, July 16, 2012, 03:45:27 AM

How many GDB accounts do you have? (if you are on staff, don't count your staff GDB account)

6+
One of these days I'll do something important enough to warrent having a secret identity.

Then I'll make a second account, but for now it's just the one... Well, that and all the ones I created years ago but forgot the passwords to.

I wonder if I have ever accidentally agreed with one of my alts. I think I only have one alt. But I might have more.

My memory is funny

1 I guess, since I cant remember the password for my original.
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

I usually make a new clan GDB for each clanned PC I make, but it's not really to hide my identity so much as I just like coming up with funny new GDB usernames that are tangentially related to my character in some way. Then I use it for a while and pretty much never log onto it again once the PC dies.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

For me having a separate account isn't entirely for hiding who I'm playing. There's something to say about not letting other peoples perception about you affect their attitudes towards your character, sure. But it's a different thing for me that I've recently found helps me keep my own personality out of my character.  It's like another step in shedding my own persona, and trying to fit better into the role of my character. Any step I take away from RogueGunslinger helps me clean the slate so I can get into the proper mood for roleplaying something different.

I don't want RogueGunslinger, which is sort of a character in itself, to bleed into my PC's actions and thoughts. Though it inevitably happens I try everything I can to keep them separate.

If it comes down to clan roles being made more difficult because so and so doesn't like you on the forums, I don't think it'll be worth sticking around.

Quote from: Tuannon on July 17, 2012, 11:03:00 AM
If it comes down to clan roles being made more difficult because so and so doesn't like you on the forums, I don't think it'll be worth sticking around.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

lol, I usually avoid posting in the same threads as my alt, but when I do, of course I'm going to agree if it's the same topic  :P

I have six... this being one of my alts for clans....

Mostly because I forget the passwords, and the passwords for the emails they were connected to.

In the past 2 years or so, I've only used 2.

Sometimes I forget who I'm logged in as when I post.
"If knowledge is power, clandestine knowledge is power squared; it can be withheld, exchanged, and leveraged"
Letty Cottin

You feel so, so stupid.

1, because I'm lazy, but also because I trust other players.

I don't know why I trust other players; I think most of them are dumb, actually. HI GUYS

July 17, 2012, 01:24:06 PM #37 Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:26:30 PM by Bacon
I didn't used to but then I once pissed someone off with a character and started getting that GDB account I was using trolled all the time. Changing accounts and using different ones with different characters in different clans has cut down on the trolling on the GDB. Suddenly people who gave me no props for my characters because they didn't like me out of character, started submitting kudos for my characters, etc, not knowing I'm the same person. No matter what some people say, there are many players on here that hold out of character grudges against other players.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

July 17, 2012, 01:52:39 PM #38 Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:49:10 PM by BadSkeelz
If I started getting trolled I would just report the troller. I doubt I'll ever adopt a second account for clan purposes. Hard as I try not to offend and be up-front people, I doubt I'm very successful, and I would feel dishonest joining a clan under an alt-account that wouldn't give people fair warning that they're playing with me. Likewise, I like to know who I'm playing with quickly so I can get the fuck out of dodge if I join up and see Soanso is in charge. It's meta as all get-out but I'd rather meta and avoid the stress that comes with sticking around.

Fortunately all of this is largely hypothetical.

Late Addenum: This is all just why I don't use alt accounts. Get hung up on things too easily.

If you do happen to create a GDB account for whatever reason, that's okay, provided you haven't been sanctioned for whatever reason by staff.  If you do happen to post with specific opinions about something, that's okay, provided it fits the rules of the GDB.  If you're particularly vehement, heated, opinionated, or whatever, that's fine as long as it stays within the defined rules of the GDB--this game evokes passion out of many (if it did not, the community would not exist).  If (by chance) you happen to create a new GDB account for whatever reason, that's okay (provided you haven't been sanctioned for whatever reason by staff).  If you happen to post with the same specific opinions about something, that's okay, provided it fits the rules of the GDB.

Just be aware that we're also free to notice that.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I'm absolutely certain I have three, but I don't remember what the first one's name was. I have them for the same reason I have four email addresses: I stop using X for which it is used for a long time, come back, don't recall the previous thing and make a new one.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Do people really make their alts comment on their other accounts posts?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

So I take it Xena-pic is Yam's alt? ;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 18, 2012, 08:57:22 AM
Do people really make their alts comment on their other accounts posts?

You'd be surprised.  It's a more common occurrence in other communities and it is less common here, but it has happened from time to time.  The heyday for it was back when you could just make a guest account and comment on things without logging in.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

No one ever agrees with me, so it's the only way.  6+!
:-)

Just this guy. I don't make alts for clans or anything.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.