How many GDB accounts do you have?

Started by Schrodingers Cat, July 16, 2012, 03:45:27 AM

How many GDB accounts do you have? (if you are on staff, don't count your staff GDB account)

6+
After reading some related posts, I was just wondering.  Please answer honestly and only vote on one account.  Thanks.

I thought we were only allowed to have one for a couple of weeks.

Two. It used to be one for GDBing, and one for Clanning. Then it slowly turned into just keeping this one, and I use the other rarely if at all. Not that anyone remembers it.

Just one..Why would you need more than one?  To hide your identity like you are superman?
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Three. One that I haven't used in forever (well over a year probably), and one for a particular clan leader that I figured would be posting a good many RPT announcements.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Going to have two because I might have an alt because of my PC's growing power.  but one right now.

EDIT: Once was two for real, but Mechafish was already a dead account for me at that time that I have came back.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

July 16, 2012, 07:55:55 AM #7 Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:58:35 AM by audrey
Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on July 16, 2012, 04:26:02 AM
Just one..Why would you need more than one?  To hide your identity like you are superman?

There's a bias to IC treatment when people know who's playing what character :)

People eventually figure it out, but if they know you (character/player) that well, it doesn't matter by then. And I prefer to do OOC discussions with another alt from my character. Like if I played a pickpocket pretending to be a warrior in the militia, making a lot of threads about pickpocketing would be a spoiler to those who know which characters I'm playing.

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on July 16, 2012, 04:26:02 AM

Yes.  I used to not care, but one time a bunch of stuff got ruined due to OOC chatter, so now sometimes I want to hide my identity like Superman.

But really it's because sometimes I'm in a sponsored role and I don't want to make it super obvious who I'm playing, but I have to post a clan event announcement.  If I do that with my usual handle, it becomes immediately obvious that I'm one of two or three people.  I don't like that.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I've got one. I'm okay with it, too. If people are going to be silly OOCly, then they're not very good RPers in the first place.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on July 16, 2012, 10:20:08 AM
I've got one. I'm okay with it, too. If people are going to be silly OOCly, then they're not very good RPers in the first place.

You can only wish this were true, but it's not. Thus the reson I eventually got two.

July 16, 2012, 11:09:28 AM #11 Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:13:33 AM by X-D
They do not have to be..Silly...sometimes, knowing who plays what, especially when clanned influences people...or could.

I myself prefer to not even give it a chance to influence them, so, at any given time I have 2 accounts, one that you all know and another for clan boards. the secondary accounts, when I have used them for 2-3 PCs in clans, I abandon and start another. And it has nothing to do with if somebody is a "good rper" And everything to do with everybody being human. I do not care either if you know who I play, at least for myself, the more enemies the better, helps my boot collection. But I do not believe it should affect a clan.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

2.  I tried having an alt for clanning, but gave that up pretty quick.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: X-D on July 16, 2012, 11:09:28 AM
They do not have to be..Silly...sometimes, knowing who plays what, especially when clanned influences people...or could.

I myself prefer to not even give it a chance to influence them, so, at any given time I have 2 accounts, one that you all know and another for clan boards. the secondary accounts, when I have used them for 2-3 PCs in clans, I abandon and start another. And it jas nothing to do with if somebody is a "good rper" And everything to do with everybody being human.

What he said.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I think I have two more? Clan alts...but I forgot the passwords.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Just one.

I don't particularly care who knows who I am/play.  I don't even really care if they treat me differently for it either.  I don't have any OOC enemies on the GDB... or at least I don't think I have any.  (If I do, please PM me and let me know.   :P )

Two, not counting the ones I retroactively retired before posting this.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

For anyone in clan boards an extra account for the IC info is highly, highly recommended. Of course many dont care but the security of it is very nice.

However, I am currently lazy about it. I dont care if people find out who I pkay and share it. I never give that info away either. People with personal ooc vendettas against players are..... Well, you know.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

The funny thing is when people make multiple accounts to agree with themselves on GDB posts.

We can track your IP, silly.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

The funny part about that is...most of us figure it out before staff :) And call them on it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Eurynomos on July 16, 2012, 03:18:46 PM
The funny thing is when people make multiple accounts to agree with themselves on GDB posts.

I agree with this amazing poster.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on July 16, 2012, 03:34:44 PM

So you are Eurynomos' alt, huh? Noted.

Quote from: X-D on July 16, 2012, 03:29:52 PM
The funny part about that is...most of us figure it out before staff :) And call them on it.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I think Eurynomos makes an excellent point and agree fully.

So does Malken.

They both make incredible points and you should all agree with everything that they write.  Always.

Quote from: marko on July 16, 2012, 05:58:08 PM

So does Malken.

They both make incredible points and you should all agree with everything that they write.  Always.

Unless you think we're all the same person in which case you should disagree with me sometimes. I mean them.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

One of these days I'll do something important enough to warrent having a secret identity.

Then I'll make a second account, but for now it's just the one... Well, that and all the ones I created years ago but forgot the passwords to.

I wonder if I have ever accidentally agreed with one of my alts. I think I only have one alt. But I might have more.

My memory is funny

1 I guess, since I cant remember the password for my original.
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

I usually make a new clan GDB for each clanned PC I make, but it's not really to hide my identity so much as I just like coming up with funny new GDB usernames that are tangentially related to my character in some way. Then I use it for a while and pretty much never log onto it again once the PC dies.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

For me having a separate account isn't entirely for hiding who I'm playing. There's something to say about not letting other peoples perception about you affect their attitudes towards your character, sure. But it's a different thing for me that I've recently found helps me keep my own personality out of my character.  It's like another step in shedding my own persona, and trying to fit better into the role of my character. Any step I take away from RogueGunslinger helps me clean the slate so I can get into the proper mood for roleplaying something different.

I don't want RogueGunslinger, which is sort of a character in itself, to bleed into my PC's actions and thoughts. Though it inevitably happens I try everything I can to keep them separate.

If it comes down to clan roles being made more difficult because so and so doesn't like you on the forums, I don't think it'll be worth sticking around.

Quote from: Tuannon on July 17, 2012, 11:03:00 AM
If it comes down to clan roles being made more difficult because so and so doesn't like you on the forums, I don't think it'll be worth sticking around.

lol, I usually avoid posting in the same threads as my alt, but when I do, of course I'm going to agree if it's the same topic  :P

I have six... this being one of my alts for clans....

Mostly because I forget the passwords, and the passwords for the emails they were connected to.

In the past 2 years or so, I've only used 2.

Sometimes I forget who I'm logged in as when I post.
"If knowledge is power, clandestine knowledge is power squared; it can be withheld, exchanged, and leveraged"
Letty Cottin

You feel so, so stupid.

1, because I'm lazy, but also because I trust other players.

I don't know why I trust other players; I think most of them are dumb, actually. HI GUYS

July 17, 2012, 01:24:06 PM #37 Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:26:30 PM by Bacon
I didn't used to but then I once pissed someone off with a character and started getting that GDB account I was using trolled all the time. Changing accounts and using different ones with different characters in different clans has cut down on the trolling on the GDB. Suddenly people who gave me no props for my characters because they didn't like me out of character, started submitting kudos for my characters, etc, not knowing I'm the same person. No matter what some people say, there are many players on here that hold out of character grudges against other players.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

July 17, 2012, 01:52:39 PM #38 Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:49:10 PM by BadSkeelz
If I started getting trolled I would just report the troller. I doubt I'll ever adopt a second account for clan purposes. Hard as I try not to offend and be up-front people, I doubt I'm very successful, and I would feel dishonest joining a clan under an alt-account that wouldn't give people fair warning that they're playing with me. Likewise, I like to know who I'm playing with quickly so I can get the fuck out of dodge if I join up and see Soanso is in charge. It's meta as all get-out but I'd rather meta and avoid the stress that comes with sticking around.

Fortunately all of this is largely hypothetical.

Late Addenum: This is all just why I don't use alt accounts. Get hung up on things too easily.

If you do happen to create a GDB account for whatever reason, that's okay, provided you haven't been sanctioned for whatever reason by staff.  If you do happen to post with specific opinions about something, that's okay, provided it fits the rules of the GDB.  If you're particularly vehement, heated, opinionated, or whatever, that's fine as long as it stays within the defined rules of the GDB--this game evokes passion out of many (if it did not, the community would not exist).  If (by chance) you happen to create a new GDB account for whatever reason, that's okay (provided you haven't been sanctioned for whatever reason by staff).  If you happen to post with the same specific opinions about something, that's okay, provided it fits the rules of the GDB.

Just be aware that we're also free to notice that.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I'm absolutely certain I have three, but I don't remember what the first one's name was. I have them for the same reason I have four email addresses: I stop using X for which it is used for a long time, come back, don't recall the previous thing and make a new one.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Do people really make their alts comment on their other accounts posts?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

So I take it Xena-pic is Yam's alt? ;)
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 18, 2012, 08:57:22 AM
Do people really make their alts comment on their other accounts posts?

You'd be surprised.  It's a more common occurrence in other communities and it is less common here, but it has happened from time to time.  The heyday for it was back when you could just make a guest account and comment on things without logging in.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

No one ever agrees with me, so it's the only way.  6+!
:-)

Just this guy. I don't make alts for clans or anything.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Uno, muchachos.

I'm not really gonna worry if people in my clan forums don't like me or not, nor do I care if it makes their play different when they find out who I am. They'll get over it, I'm sure! If not, wah.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I have quite a few. Dependent on the role. I usually post on alt accounts so that things can remain professional and no sand in the VJJ carries over to future experiences.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Right. But I make new ones with each role like that.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I only have this account.

Quote from: Is Friday on July 18, 2012, 08:24:05 PM
I have quite a few. Dependent on the role. I usually post on alt accounts so that things can remain professional and no sand in the VJJ carries over to future experiences.

My approach to this is: Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Some folks really get their feelings hurt if I crush their egos IG, though, so... I feel it's necessary.  :-\

Quote from: musashi on July 18, 2012, 09:49:50 PM
My approach to this is: Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

There's some things people take personally. Like backstabbing, literal or political. Betrayal of trust seems to seep OOC. And people seem to take relationship stuff personally too. I wouldn't really call them bad roleplayers, that would be like calling a 13 year old immature. It's something that people have to learn to get used to.

Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I'm with boog.

I have two accounts. I recently created the second to dabble in the "clan gdb account" shit, and the novelty wore off the instant I started using it. I stopped.

If people don't like me and use that information against my characters.. that's their problem. All my dudes are gonna die to something dumb anyway, so I'm not too worried about it.

Quote from: Barsook on July 16, 2012, 05:49:52 AM
Going to have two because I might have an alt because of my PC's growing power.  but one right now.
One, because I trust me fellow players not to allow OOC knowledge to influence IC actions (it may be misplaced trust for some people. But I believe people only get better if you give them the opportunity).

Besides which I'm never in a clan for a particularly long time ;)

Quote from: marko on July 16, 2012, 05:58:08 PM

So does Malken.

I always find myself hard pressed to disagree with Marko. Here is no exception.

Quote from: Recharge on July 16, 2012, 08:05:11 PM
1 I guess, since I cant remember the password for my original.
What was the username? I recognise that avatar.

Quote from: Bacon on July 17, 2012, 01:24:06 PM
I didn't used to but then I once pissed someone off with a character and started getting that GDB account I was using trolled all the time. Changing accounts and using different ones with different characters in different clans has cut down on the trolling on the GDB. Suddenly people who gave me no props for my characters because they didn't like me out of character, started submitting kudos for my characters, etc, not knowing I'm the same person. No matter what some people say, there are many players on here that hold out of character grudges against other players.
I resent that you feel you can't trust me Bacon and I'm going to hold it against your characters. Now not knowing WHICH character is yours makes things difficult. So I'll treat all characters with equal contempt.

Quote from: Nyr on July 17, 2012, 03:37:36 PMIf you do happen to create a GDB account for whatever reason, that's okay, provided you haven't been sanctioned for whatever reason by staff.
I often feel there should be a way to list your GDB accounts in your in game account. I use to include it at the bottom of my character reports, but forgetfulness means I've forgotten more times then not.

I have two and I swap usage here and there, normally on sponsored roles or roles that I plan on getting down right crazy in.

I could survive with one, but meh....two accounts are better than one, right?
"I stalk the shadows, I am the one who wears that friendly face. Behind your every move, there is nothing you can do. Pride yourself in the fact that you do not already rot and bake. Be prepared, I am always watching." - Allanaki Assassin

I have two. The first I used to post ideas/opinions that I consider undeveloped, or otherwise inconsistent with what I believe/post now.

This account was originally created for hiding my identity when joining clan boards, but now, assuming I look so much 'cooler' using it, I don't post as anyone else.  ::)

Just this one for now. I haven't noticed any IC bias towards my character for about anything thus far, so I see no reason to make a new one.
Once my current character dies (if ever) however, I shall probably make a new one. Just to see if there is in fact any bias that I may have overlooked. Such as suddenly getting kudos or people sincerely agreeing with my opinions or views.

Especially since my next character is going to be a radical shift from what I'm used to playing. I don't know. It's just going to be an experiment.