So.. is it just me? or..

Started by greasygemo, July 14, 2012, 04:47:45 AM

Does anyone else notice that regardless of their level of skill in a craft, they are not any more likely to not mangle everything they touch..?

Is there a hidden factor at play here or am I just doing it wrong?
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

sit down and use tools, pretty sure that has an effect on it.
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

Quote from: Kastion on July 14, 2012, 05:39:05 AM
sit down and use tools, pretty sure that has an effect on it.

sitting .. there's an idea. lol.

Sit in a spot that's appropriate for crafting, holding/wielding the tools appropriate for turning the raw material you're using, into the finished product you're hoping to produce. It's not only good for succeeding your craft, it also makes more IC sense.

Example of wasteful (and dumb-as-rocks piss-poor excuse for roleplaying) crafting attempts:
standing in the middle of a harsh sandstorm in the salt flats at night, with no tools, wielding a short spear and holding a shield. You're trying to knit a pair of baby booties with a skein of cotton yarn.

Example of an optimum crafting attempt:
sitting at a workbench, in a workshop of a clan's crafting hall, etwo'ing a pair of obsidian-tipped agafari knitting needles, and trying to knit the same pair of baby booties.

Example of a moderately happy medium:
sitting at a table, in a bar known for being at least modestly clean, but not sitting at the bar, with those knitting needles, and crafting those booties.

Example of ignoring your surroundings and (hopefully) some happy staffer showing up to make sure you fail miserably and ruin your entire skein of yarn:
sitting at the bar in the Gaj, where they have cockroach fights and the bartender cleans off dishes under his armpit, and wipes greasy filthy rags up and down the bar, sometimes even successfully managing to get some of the bigger chunks of puke off the bar in his efforts - wielding a bottle of spirits, and holding your shield.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on July 14, 2012, 09:11:15 AM
Example of wasteful (and dumb-as-rocks piss-poor excuse for roleplaying) crafting attempts:
standing in the middle of a harsh sandstorm in the salt flats at night, with no tools, wielding a short spear and holding a shield. You're trying to knit a pair of baby booties with a skein of cotton yarn.

Lol, those are some hard core booties.

Knitting is a hard-core skill. It's like 19 karma points.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

the hulking, burn-marked man brandishes his soft woolen booties, sneering.

A beady-eyed, massive half-giant's widen with fear at the site of the soft woolen booties, and he drops to his knees, begging for his life.

the hulking, burn-marked man beats a beady-eyed, massive half-giant to death with his soft woolen booties.

A massive bahamet enters from the north, carrying a wild-eyed, powerful sorcerer.

a wild-eyed, powerful sorcerer looks up suddenly at the hulking, burn-marked man's booties

A massive bahamet flees north, carrying a wild-eyed, powerful sorcerer.

Laughing, the hulking, burn-marked man says in sirihish, "I'm the juggernaut, bitch."

Some crafts are more difficult than others.

Also, other things matter.

If you a) pay attention and b) track your data, you probably will figure out the relevant variables before long.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Also, if you're always trying to craft the newest stuff that's become available...then you're always pushing yourself...it's always going to be hard. If you're at master and you're trying to make the stuff that was available when you were a newb...then no...you shouldn't fail much.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Synthesis on July 14, 2012, 05:16:49 PM
Some crafts are more difficult than others.

Also, other things matter.

If you a) pay attention and b) track your data, you probably will figure out the relevant variables before long.

In Brief

Compile and analyze data, motherfucker.

QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Maso on July 14, 2012, 05:47:29 PM
Also, if you're always trying to craft the newest stuff that's become available...then you're always pushing yourself...it's always going to be hard. If you're at master and you're trying to make the stuff that was available when you were a newb...then no...you shouldn't fail much.

I attempt to craft each and every single thing that I can make, despite the cost, when I realize I can make it, until I make it at least once!
I also tend to buy stuff I think I can make, and discover it's clanned, then get angry.
Muahaha.
Being a newb is difficult.
But at least OOC I have little to fret about keeping a secret.

With the right skill, you can always view an item before buying to discover if it's a clanned recipe. It's just a shame you can't tell if it'll be totally uncraftable due to lack of recipe or skill, though.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I would sell my soul to be able to analyze objects before buying them. Hell, I'd round up a hundred souls as if I was Jack Sparrow while I'm at it.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on July 14, 2012, 11:58:42 PM
I would sell my soul to be able to analyze objects before buying them. Hell, I'd round up a hundred souls as if I was Jack Sparrow while I'm at it.

I have some souls I got for my 21st birthday.  I can let them go cheap they have been collecting dust for almost 10 years now.  I do believe its 8 souls.  I'm open to offers. 
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

It's just you. Like others mentioned use tools.
:-)

And think of it this way - Every time you fail, you're getting better! :D
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I think it would be way to cheat to be able to get a full crafting recipe without having to buy the item to take it away and have a proper look at it etc. But it would be nice if you could at least get a "you reckon you would be able to make this" from analysing an item in a shop...there's nothing more annoying than buying an item only to find out it's not actually craftable. Which is an irritable and kind of OOC issue...

Would be nice to see some staff initiative to get more of the current items craftable...since that was one of the Arm 2.0 goals...and one of the benefits of the change I imagine most people were looking forward to.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Although a topic for another discussion, I agree with Maso upon the subject of making more items in Armageddon craftable and moving further away from generic, uncraftable items.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Maso on July 15, 2012, 03:13:03 AM

I think it would be way to cheat to be able to get a full crafting recipe without having to buy the item to take it away and have a proper look at it etc. But it would be nice if you could at least get a "you reckon you would be able to make this" from analysing an item in a shop...there's nothing more annoying than buying an item only to find out it's not actually craftable. Which is an irritable and kind of OOC issue...

Would be nice to see some staff initiative to get more of the current items craftable...since that was one of the Arm 2.0 goals...and one of the benefits of the change I imagine most people were looking forward to.

I.. Don't know, really. It all boils down to 'how useful is it to know things?' If there's a necklace selling for more than a thousand coins and I don't know if I can make it.. Well, I'm not going to take the risk and buy it. Still.. If it really would be too powerful for people to use the analyze command's full power on shop items, you could implant a system where the analyze command works just as it does on items you have, barring the echo that says 'you need x, y and z to make this', and replace it with 'you're pretty sure you can make this thing.'
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

As it is, I think it generally works fine but I would change it to append a line after the normal view information's line which says 'this could be useful for skinning/tanning/making holes/etc' which would read something like:

This item is craftable.
You cannot tell how this item is made.
(you don't have the skill to make this item)

or

This item is craftable.
You have an idea how it's made, but you're not sure.
(you have the skill, but it's not high enough to make the thing, ala the normal analyze command echo)

or

This item is craftable.
With closer inspection, you're pretty sure you can tell how this was made.
(if you can make it)

Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

+1