How do city elves travel?

Started by Kebron, June 27, 2012, 09:54:20 PM

There are plenty of reasons why a Celf would travel the desert.

1) A member of the tribe who is higher in the hierarchy told you to do it.
2) You have to do it, for the benefit of the tribe.
3) You have to do it, to avoid endangering the tribe.
4) You have to do it, to destroy the enemy of the tribe.
5) You have to do it, to make contact with another celven tribe of another city.
6) You have to do it, as a part of a con.

Do you try alternatives first? Yes. But if you have to do it, then ... you have to do it.
No this doesnt give you free license of gallivanting all over the sands. I cannot see a Celf going around the wastes 'aimlessly', like I would easily see a ranger breed do. But if there is a reason for a celf to do something and there are no alternatives. Then, it's going to happen. The journey will "not" be fun, will "not" be relaxed, and will "not" be easy, and that's beautiful.

I can even envision hiring the Byn for the trip as well. It gets easier if you're part of a powerful tribe or got associates. In that case, all you need to do is make sure the entire Byn knows they, as well as their families and pets will be cut down if the elf who is taking the journey were to die. If not ... you'd have to hire the Byn to hunt specific creatures in specific areas, as part of a favor that the elf promised to do for house Kadius. And when the Byn moves out, you'd follow them 10 rooms behind, hoping that the Byn cleaned up the area ahead of you.

July 03, 2012, 07:43:34 PM #101 Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:35:37 PM by Creslin
Quote from: Dar on July 03, 2012, 07:08:20 PM
I can even envision hiring the Byn for the trip as well. It gets easier if you're part of a powerful tribe or got associates. In that case, all you need to do is make sure the entire Byn knows they, as well as their families and pets will be cut down if the elf who is taking the journey were to die. If not ... you'd have to hire the Byn to hunt specific creatures in specific areas, as part of a favor that the elf promised to do for house Kadius. And when the Byn moves out, you'd follow them 10 rooms behind, hoping that the Byn cleaned up the area ahead of you.

I don't think I could play an elf. I might consider it one day but the role, the restrictions and the distrust/conniving/scheming is just something I don't think I would be good at and as such I don't think I could properly RP an elf. Would rather play something else than mangle a role, have trouble following the docs 100% and also mess with other peoples RP/perceptions.

July 03, 2012, 07:46:59 PM #102 Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:55:59 PM by Riya OniSenshi
Those requirments are a good way to get the Byn to refuse the job.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

In retrospect ... I regret posting the whole Byn thing. If your elf "has" to travel in the wilderness, then I guess ... he has to. Figuring out how to do it safely, via this way, or that way, really should be found out ICly.

Quote from: Dar on July 03, 2012, 07:53:00 PM
In retrospect ... I regret posting the whole Byn thing. If your elf "has" to travel in the wilderness, then I guess ... he has to. Figuring out how to do it safely, via this way, or that way, really should be found out ICly.
*hug
It's alright, dood.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

City elves are awesomely devious.  One of my favorites started in Tuluk.  Went from Tuluk to Allanak after having some trouble with d-elves.  He then joined the byn and stole food selling it to a dirty pickpocket.   Got caught, but managed to get away and run to Red storm. In Storm he was eventually killed for trying to plot against the wrong Byn Sergeant.  And...being to trustworthy.  He was a dumb elf.  Don't trust anyone.

I did make an rp mistake with the character and would like to apologize for it.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Please understand I'm not trying to tear apart your argument here. I really am just discussing these points, as I happen to disagree with them. It's not an argument, I don't hate you, we're friends :D

Quote from: Dar1) A member of the tribe who is higher in the hierarchy told you to do it.
5) You have to do it, to make contact with another celven tribe of another city.

1) I don't see why a senior member of your gang of street elves would tell you to do such a thing. Unless perhaps (s)he wanted a quick way to remove you from the bloodline.
2) How exactly would this work?
3) Or this?
4) I will admit, this one does have potential merit - depending perhaps on the severity of the enemy and how (s)he may have wronged you or your family. However it's one of those rare exceptions which would give a city elf reason to venture out.
5) Why is it so crucial for you to make contact with a gang of street elves from another city impossibly far away that you must risk your life going there to meet them? To me it doesn't add up and it sounds like an excuse to travel with your character. Which, if you want to do, is great. Just don't make a city elf if that's your intention.
6) You don't have to, though maybe you the player want to. There should be plenty of people in your own city for you to con. Tens of thousands, in fact.

In each scenario it should be asked: is the reason one born out of IC desperation and of little (or no) choice on the elf's behalf? A templar banishing you from the city is a fantastic reason because you really don't have any choice.

It should also be noted that whatever reason you come up with, a city elf leaving the city is a rare sight indeed. If I saw a 'Rinth elf in Tuluk I would definitely do a double take (assuming my character could recognize an elf as being from the 'Rinth).

QuoteQuote from: Dar
1) A member of the tribe who is higher in the hierarchy told you to do it.

1) I don't see why a senior member of your gang of street elves would tell you to do such a thing. Unless perhaps (s)he wanted a quick way to remove you from the bloodline.
Tribe, not gang...totally different things.
Um, many reasons there, you really want all of them explained?
3) Or this?
Same as above, but maybe you have a disease or something
4) I will admit, this one does have potential merit - depending perhaps on the severity of the enemy and how (s)he may have wronged you or your family. However it's one of those rare exceptions which would give a city elf reason to venture out.
Again, enemy of the tribe...not family, family actually means less...in a way, then tribe does. One must think of an elves tribe as an entity, and an elf keeps the well being of that entity as a whole in mind.

5) Why is it so crucial for you to make contact with a gang of street elves from another city impossibly far away that you must risk your life going there to meet them? To me it doesn't add up and it sounds like an excuse to travel with your character. Which, if you want to do, is great. Just don't make a city elf if that's your intention.
Repeating again, not gang...and who knows, again, many reasons. Most of which end with "Sometimes the way just ain't enough."
6) You don't have to, though maybe you the player want to. There should be plenty of people in your own city for you to con. Tens of thousands, in fact.
Um, how do you know they do not have too? Cons are a form of theft, bragging rights held in high regard by elves. The con could have very well started in the city, one of those thousands of people, but it very well could lead outside in some manner, perhaps it is a long con involving an entire clan, one with MASSIVE bragging rights perhaps even raising the elfs status in his tribe?

And I am going to add another to Dar's list because I find it an often forgotten part of elven RP.
7: Part of "trials of trust".
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Most of those examples I gave, if you change the words "Go out into the wilderness" into "Strap yourself with flash powder and explode yourself in a tavern", nothing will change. If the tribe's well being is involved, then its just as likely. In my personal opinion anyway.

The elven reputation of being creatures of deceit, totally untrustworthy and unreliable is all true, 'if' it is towards "them". An elf is actually the greatest ally and the most reliable being that you can ever really encounter, if you are part of "us". At least that's how I always understood the elven tribal mentality personally. Not that it always played out that way, of course.

July 05, 2012, 09:54:13 PM #109 Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:06:54 AM by Nyr
Quote from: Suhuy on July 05, 2012, 05:00:34 AM
Please understand I'm not trying to tear apart your argument here. I really am just discussing these points, as I happen to disagree with them. It's not an argument, I don't hate you, we're friends :D

Quote from: Dar1) A member of the tribe who is higher in the hierarchy told you to do it.

3) Or this?

In each scenario it should be asked: is the reason one born out of IC desperation and of little (or no) choice on the elf's behalf? A templar banishing you from the city is a fantastic reason because you really don't have any choice.

It should also be noted that whatever reason you come up with, a city elf leaving the city is a rare sight indeed. If I saw a 'Rinth elf in Tuluk I would definitely do a double take (assuming my character could recognize an elf as being from the 'Rinth).

I'm not going into detail here. As it is forbidden.

Nyr removed the rest of this because you proceeded to do exactly that.  As it is forbidden.  Please don't do that.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

That's not completely correct.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

July 06, 2012, 03:58:50 AM #111 Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:23:33 AM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Fredd going into detail
I'm not going into detail here...  -a whole bunch of detail-

Yo. Don't talk about IC specifics and shit. Even if they're wrong.

lmfao, so I started this post out of curiosity cus I've seen elves do it but I've only ever seen 1 actually travel regularly so I wondered what the 'ways' were, now I come back and you see how eclectic the Pbase is. You can basicaly break this entire thread down into a handful of actual opinions only 2 of which actually answered my question (Though Nyr's post tickled my funnybone pretty  well and was oddly insightful)
1) Use a tent
2) Don't travel
3) Hire the byn
4) don't hire the byn
5) Find out IC
6) People that say find out IC are trolls
And theres 5 pages of that in repitition... I love this pbase. Thank you Mr. Use a tent, it was helpful. Also thank you nyr for comic relief. Ahh I needed that.

Quote from: Suhuy on July 05, 2012, 05:00:34 AM

Here are some examples off the top of my head.

- your tribe wants to deal with a gang of street elves that lives in The Other City, so somebody's got to go make contact
- some asshole wronged your tribe, then fled to The Other City, and you don't have a contact over there who's able to take care of them for you
- your tribe has a rite of passage involving seeing the world or taking a dangerous journey or going through a trial alone or whatever
- you're displaying magical powers and need to be put at a safe distance from the rest of the tribe
- you're starting to get a lot of heat from the Powers That Be and need to be put somewhere out of reach for a while
- you're a Rusarla bard and you need your dumb charmstrings
- the elders have discovered that you are a master tailor (applies to trips to Red Storm only)