Are people too focused on Mudsex?

Started by A Large Bag, June 05, 2012, 11:41:28 AM

This thread is pretty hilarious. I guess people will play games for whatever it is they want to get out of it...but, and maybe I am super ignorant and naive, but I really haven't been exposed to that much sex-crazedness in Arm. Probably less than in real life, less guys hanging around in bars looking for a shag, less couply couples making out in corners. More death, sweat, grime and politics.

So I'm pretty ok with the way things are. I've tended to have characters that for whatever reason avoid sexual romantic encounters with other PCs or I just FTB. My experience with other players is that most seem to do it the same way. We're all older now...we get laid IRL. :p
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I've never understood why this topic is such a big deal on the boards. It certainly isn't in-game.

Having played several whore characters, I can attest that people who are actually playing just don't care. They treat whoring as the normal profession it is, and sex as the casual act many Zalanthans view it to be. My experience was that about as many people faded as did not, maybe a little more on the latter side. I made coin and frequently found myself hired to spy or otherwise getting tangled up in plots of various kinds.

Folks can say that sexual encounters offer nothing to the game world, but my experience - having played PCs focused on sex as a means of survival - is that it's not so. If we can celebrate people/monsters tearing each other to shreds, we can stand a little bit of sex in so gritty a setting.

There are a few players who seem to take a very strongly sex focused approach with pretty much every character that they play. It's certainly not against the rules and if they enjoy those roles so much, by all means, but I personally have more respect for roleplayers who mix their game up a little.

Nothing really wrong with mudsex, either, BUT it does take PCs away from where they can be approached and interacted with if they hole themselves up in a locked room for a large portion of their total playtime. It can be frustrating especially for new players if they are looking for interaction, there's 40 people logged in, and they can never find anyone in taverns for several hours. The "does PC to PC interaction happen" thread popped up for a reason, certainly not only because of mudsex, but I suspect the topics are at least somewhat related.  ;)

I have never had trouble finding players because they were too busy mudfucking. That has to be imagined.

Quote from: Akaramu on June 11, 2012, 01:32:30 AM
Nothing really wrong with mudsex, either, BUT it does take PCs away from where they can be approached and interacted with if they hole themselves up in a locked room for a large portion of their total playtime.

It takes two to mudsex. Thus; interaction.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 11, 2012, 01:51:05 AM
Quote from: Akaramu on June 11, 2012, 01:32:30 AM
Nothing really wrong with mudsex, either, BUT it does take PCs away from where they can be approached and interacted with if they hole themselves up in a locked room for a large portion of their total playtime.

It takes two to mudsex. Thus; interaction.

That doesn't help the newbie who can't find anyone outside of locked apartments / spamcrafting in clan compounds / hunting in the wilderness and thinks this MUD is only played by NPCs!

I know. There's really enough enough MUDsex in the taverns.

What does that have to do with mudsex? If someone can't be found for interaction they can't be found. You're talking about a player numbers problem. Or a player density problem.

Just because there's no one around doesn't mean they're all fucking. And even if they were it's not their job to entertain every noobie who joins the game. They play for their own reasons, just like anybody else.

Someone told you about the Troll RGS GDB game, didn't they? Damn it I'm so susceptible.

June 11, 2012, 02:27:57 AM #158 Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:33:06 AM by Dresan
According to another thread, some people aren't having mudsex at all. They are just looking into taverns and deciding people aren't worth interacting with.

Yay! Close call but crisis averted, everyone in the mud is still pure and righteous, we might not need to ban mudsex at all. :D

I wonder if it is group hug time yet?  :-*

That's gross assumption on your part, Akaramu.  I can already tell you that I don't play many tavern-sitters, so I am one of those players you see on your who list that you may never cross paths with if I'm on the fringes of the Known World.  Am I mudsexing?  Not often, no.

There are also still iso-clans to account for, wanderering indies and antisocial pcs.  You can't just point, guess and say, "They must fucking," because you have no proof.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

See...i was thinking the same thing but i didn't have the balls to go there, Rogue.   :P

Don't worry, folks.  If we see people out there mudsexing to the detriment of their role, we'll give them a spank...err...we'll punish...err...we will take action as deemed appropriate.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.