Are people too focused on Mudsex?

Started by A Large Bag, June 05, 2012, 11:41:28 AM

I've been around a long time and the last year or so I'm starting to get the impression that many people are playing the game primarily to mudsex. Even to the point of disregarding norms in order to virtually: Get me some.
A litte over a year ago, I had a halfbreed character, obviously a halfbreed, with a mutation even. Everyone, was trying to fuck her. Male, female, full-blooded humans, full-blooded elves, it didn't matter. Her being a halfbreed alone should've deterred most of these people and she had a mutation on top of it. It seems that all of my characters over the past year and a half to two years now have had to fight would-be lovers off with a stick. People seem to be changing everything about their character's lives just for the opportunity to mudsex, quitting jobs, sexing with magickers, breeds, or anything that moves regardless of possible ic consequences.

Is it only me that is seeing this or are others seeing it too?

Sure, sex is a realistic part of playing a character but I'm feeling that lately it has become the primary focus of people's play these days. They just want to go sit in a tavern and try to find people to fuck to the exclusion of their job, their reputation, or anything else. Starting to think I'm surrounded by horny teenagers lately but it could just be happening to me I suppose.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I definitely think people have been way to quick to sex up magickers recently-ish. Though these things are as much the "outcast" PC's doing as the "normal" PC's.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

June 05, 2012, 11:52:16 AM #2 Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:55:22 AM by Yam
Illicit social hookups from mudsex start more plots than you could imagine. I don't mudsex (mounts don't count) but I don't think this should be hashed out on the GDB. If you catch someone fucking a magicker or whatever, deal with it ICly. File a player complaint if you think the behavior is completely unrealistic, like a Tuluki noble kanking a commoner.

Otherwise it's an in character event that should be dealt with in character.

June 05, 2012, 11:56:04 AM #3 Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:59:25 AM by A Large Bag
Trying to have a discussion here, not file complaints on people. Thanks though. I think it's something that probably needs to be discussed. I'm hesitant to file complaints on people as, like I said, I'm not sure if it is just me or if others are seeing what I've been seeing the last couple years.

That part was to Riya, but I took it out since there wasn't anything specifically mentioned.

I wouldn't say that people are too focused on Mudsex, at least not any more so than people IRL are focused on sex.

That said, with Armageddon being a textual medium our hard-wired subconscious visual cues do not get activated and personality plays a far greater role in determining attractiveness than appearance does.

As for inter-species/magicker sex, it's an IC taboo, not an OOC rule.  It's meant to be broken.  It's only a real problem when people (everyone, not just the two having sex) fail to roleplay the repercussions of doing so.

People like to fuck. Just leave them be. I agree with Yam. Even if this were a problem it wouldn't be an OOC problem.

I find there have been at least a handful of players over the years that went out of their way to play the "exception" at least once. The argument is that the documentation is there as a guide for roleplay, whether players choose to follow it or break it. I agree with this to an extent, but also believe that the norms allow for extremely harsh punishments for those who deliberately go out of their way to be the "exception". That applies to sex, but also applies to a bunch of other things.

So basically, observation of these "sexual exceptions" goes hand-in-hand with not observing hatred toward sexual deviance. If a player wants their PC to have interracial magicker mutant sex, fine. But it's the duty of the PCs around that one to spread rumors, harass, assault, or kill them.

Quote from: Yam on June 05, 2012, 11:57:42 AM
That part was to Riya, but I took it out since there wasn't anything specifically mentioned.

I'm not complaining about people - I'm agreeing, but pointing out that I've seen that more than the rest. Maybe that's just my experience. I'm sure everyone's got IC reasons for it or something.

I was gonna post, but then Cutthroat said it for me.

Quote from: Cutthroat on June 05, 2012, 12:00:29 PM
So basically, observation of these "sexual exceptions" goes hand-in-hand with not observing hatred toward sexual deviance. If a player wants their PC to have interracial magicker mutant sex, fine. But it's the duty of the PCs around that one to spread rumors, harass, assault, or kill them.

Right, I guess I should've pointed that part out in my initial post. I'm not seeing any of this from pcs around these people either. People aren't even doing a double-take over it or anything from what I've been seeing. There should've been some reaction to people publicly and openly trying to bang a dirty halfbreed, or magicker, or whatever.

Quote from: A Large Bag on June 05, 2012, 11:56:04 AM
Trying to have a discussion here, not file complaints on people. Thanks though. I think it's something that probably needs to be discussed. I'm hesitant to file complaints on people as, like I said, I'm not sure if it is just me or if others are seeing what I've been seeing the last couple years.

You'll find a lot of excuses and reasons in this thread to tell you that it's all normal and people are doing this and that because of this and that, but I'm telling you, it's all about the mudsex, dude.

So, yes, to your question. Will things change? Nope. It's always been like that and always will be.

Well, unless you're Akaramu, she has 99 problems but mudsex ain't one  :)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I think some people are too focused on mudsex, yeah. Once, I had a character. I came up with the idea that she had a mostly monogamous relationship with a virtual mate, who lived in the area of town teeming with virtual apartments and virtual families. I did this as my IC justification for not wanting to get involved in an IC "romance" at all with that character.

I had a bunch of PCs hit on her, some rather agressively. And when I kept telling them "nah I got my mate, I'm happy with the status quo" they wanted to meet this mate. They claimed they didn't believe that my character even have one, and challenged her to produce said mate. This really soured me, from an OOC perspective. It was like, the idea of sexing up my character was SO important to these players, that they'd reject the idea of VNPCs in a PC's life. I mean - are we all orphans? Of course not. We don't *all* show up out of chargen as non-tribals, bereft of blood relatives. Some of us have mothers and fathers, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins...but they're all virtual. They -do- exist. So when a PC says "I have a mate, but you've never heard of him and probably never will," then take the hint. It's probably just a VNPC, and you should just accept that this PC is telling you that such a person really does exist.

If that VNPC doesn't exist, at least virtually, and it's clear SHE believes it exists, then you probably wouldn't want to sex her up anyway because she's insane and will do something freaky, in a very creepy way, once you get behind locked doors.

That was just the one character I had. Most of my characters have been hit on, fairly aggressively, by males and females, and characters of various races. And I don't even -try- to make my characters especially sexy. Some of them, I go out of my way to appear UNsexy. And they get hit on too, by everyone and their brother.

When they're not hitting on my PC, they're groping other PCs in public, making their emotes as sexual as possible without requiring consent, just to make -sure- everyone can see that they're playing sex-loving characters. It's like, they're advertising, in case the current fuck doesn't work out. Personally I find it OOCly distasteful. In Tuluk, it's ICly distasteful. In Allanak, it's probably tease-worthy - have people place bets at the bar as to which one ends up on the bottom, or how long it takes before Amos pops a woodie.

"Too" focused on mudsex, specifically? Dunno. But focused on sex? That is definitely my observation.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I've never experienced this 'problem'. I my character needs to go on a diet  :'(

Having played muds for a long while and playing a wide span of muds. Ya find out, alot of folks are into mudsex simply because it is something to do. If there is not something going on every minute you are playing, then you have time for mudsex, or atleast a mostly sexual emote.

I do agree, that a players personality plays a role in one being attracted to them more then race, which, in my opinion sucks (gotta keep ya head in the game and remember they are a half breed, no matter how nice they are). Yes, anyone can attempt to play the exception to the rule, but you will find alot of times most players want to believe they are that special exception to the rule, and so the special exception becomes the norm.

Thankfully, in Arm, I have yet to really encounter this, which says two things to me, 1) Those who are doing it, are doing it somewhere else and 2) its not become so common that you see it every hour and every day, with just a different name doing it. (which has happened in previous muds)

As stated by others, react appropriately. Treat them like crap. Spit on em. Something. Others will follow suit, most of the time if someone else starts it cause it is something to do.
Life sucks, then you die.

I think some people are too focused on mudsex.

I don't really care much except for when sex jokes and groping/overtly sexual emotes enter the mix. Armageddon != Furcadia. Fuck off with the sexy power emotes and dick jokes.

I do think that people tend to ignore things like race and magicianship and whether or not their sex-target is even alive. If god came down from heaven and granted me the slay command, I might be able to fix that. I guess all that remains to be done is the submission of player complaints.. I just don't ever want to resort to that. I feel like a big prick when I run to the thing and tattle on someone for acting like a total fucking idiot IG.

I really hate the term mudsex, to me that implies people wanking off because it does something for them OUTSIDE the reality of Arm.

I choose the term roleplaying out sex because for me and my characters, it's character appropriate or nothing.

I played an uppity whore once, most of it was FTB'd save for her sugar daddy and a couple kinky-ish things that were requested to be roleplayed.
I played a magicker whose lovers were mundane and powerful and very public.
I played a horrifically scarred bard in Tuluk who got more ass than a toilet seat.
I played an evil F'me merchant that never ONCE got laid.
I played a multiple personality assassin who had a total slut in there and SHE never got laid.
I had an assassin who was scarred into memory loss and gradually came into her own BECAUSE of the men and women who loved her - they were ALL dangerous assassins/murderers.
I had ONE mudsexor in the 11 years on Arm - Something game ME the heebeejeebees about that character but my character loved him so -I- FTB'd every single time with him because to me it didn't feel ok. That player OOC'ed me that one of these days he'd get me. THAT is a mudsex addict or something lol.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Mudsex and roleplaying sex OR relationships on Armageddon are TWO different things. Mudsexors getcho groove on, I don't care, but it's not roleplay appropriate. No way to determine that because you can't possibly know player motivation. It's your dirty little secret.

People who choose to roleplay sex/relationships out, like I do, don't let people's REAL WORLD restrictions of sex make you feel bad. That's an OOC social stigma we shouldn't have on Arm but we do, we all know it.

People who FTB only - Way to play the char with all its emotions and complications. I could care less if every single scene is FTB'd.

People who AVOID ooc'ly adult situations with disdain and real life moral judgement - You should open yourself up for the experience of letting your character feel things and not restrict it cause of your dislike for sexual or lovey shit - Roleplay the character and FTB anything you don't wanna deal with. I think you'll grow as a roleplayer.

We all have limitations, we're not perfect. Who's to say what's too much hunting? Too much crafting? Too much hatred? Too much murder? Too harsh? Too nice, too political, too sexual? Let people play their characters and if you see something that is socially appalling in ARM standards, burn them witches at the stake.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

June 05, 2012, 01:17:39 PM #17 Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:22:28 PM by A Large Bag
My point is that it feels to me, more often that not lately, that it is OOCly motivated and it is a case of wanting to mudsex more than a case of rping an ic sexual interest. Not that everyone who rps their character being sexual is trying to mudsex but that lately I feel people are acting rather OOC to get into sexual rp situations. And others aren't responding IC to them doing things out of the norm as they should be. I've roleplay sexual situations with my characters, I'm a strictly ftb person though and I only have them get sexual if it is reasonably ic for them to do so. I don't care if some people prefer that sort of rp. I take no issue with that, I take issue with it appearing to be a majority and people not reacting ic to things they should be surrounding it. Also, not everyone is doing this, I'm seeing some that would be perfectly acceptable ic and I'm in no way targetting anyone in particular. Just a trend that's currently going on in my perception of things.

It brings up the question of how sex is really treated IC. There's no good baseline IRL to compare it to either because it's so culturally different.

Is sex a bad thing or is it natural? Do people see it as cheap recreation? Is it respectable to be a virgin? Are prostitutes an important contributor to the economy or light entertainers? Are monogamous/dedicated relationships common? (Funny, a search for 'romance' on the GDB turns up mostly OOC romances)

Something I find a little annoying is that some people seem to ignore beauty completely. People are supposed to be shallow in reality. I get that a girl covered in blood and scars is a turn on to some people because she can take care of herself. But if a girl with shit all over her arms is more attractive than a girl drenched in perfume, why are there perfumes at all? There's trying to avoid mudsexers and there's treating the text based game like text.

Quote from: audrey on June 05, 2012, 01:18:56 PM
Something I find a little annoying is that some people seem to ignore beauty completely. People are supposed to be shallow in reality. I get that a girl covered in blood and scars is a turn on to some people because she can take care of herself. But if a girl with shit all over her arms is more attractive than a girl drenched in perfume, why are there perfumes at all? There's trying to avoid mudsexers and there's treating the text based game like text.

So you're crosseyed, tongue tied, scarred from head to toe from burns, and a fat half breed... I love you darling!

You hit it right on the head there. Gotta keep your head in the game or it just becomes text. To busy imagining the person behind the character as a five foot five, busty, perfectly tanned, brunnete.
Life sucks, then you die.

Quote from: hatchets on June 05, 2012, 01:25:45 PM
To busy imagining the person behind the character as a five foot five, busty, perfectly tanned, brunnete.

This is me.

(Funny, a search for 'romance' on the GDB turns up mostly OOC romances)

Use advanced search and only search the right game boards for things such as (mud)sex, whores, prostitutes, magickers, breeds, and love. This is so not the only thread about this.

As others have already said, it only bothers me when people ignore the dox/gameworld in their pursuit of it. If they are playing a reasonably Zalanthan sex-fiend, then it doesn't bother my immersions.

Quote from: Yam on June 05, 2012, 01:27:45 PM
Quote from: hatchets on June 05, 2012, 01:25:45 PM
To busy imagining the person behind the character as a five foot five, busty, perfectly tanned, brunnete.

This is me.

Sometimes people say something so deeply ironic that one stares for half an hour not knowing whether to laugh or cry  :-X

I tend to play characters who are non sexual, snobby, or otherwise occupied with some goal other than sex.  In that light, yeah some players are too focused on it for my taste.  I don't see the fun in it.

I also don't dictate what is appropriate or "too much."  More power to them if they think that's a fun thing to do.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC