Streamline the ordering process

Started by Khorm, May 18, 2012, 05:47:36 PM

May 18, 2012, 05:47:36 PM Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:51:42 PM by Khorm
Here's my idea:

Remove the role that the request tool plays in orders completely.

Do this by having NPCs be able to take orders from players. Say I'm working for House Bologna and Freddy wants to order a full suit of bologna-flavored armor and a dill spear. Aforementioned NPC has a list of items that he/she/it will take orders for, a list of times each item takes to process, and a "house cost" he will take in exchange for the order. My character approaches the NPC and "order bologna-flavored boots, leggings, etc", NPC says "That's x dollars and y time for each item ordered". Maybe he even gives me a ticket like those fine ladies and gentlemen in charge of tailoring. Now maybe a dill spear includes a special sauce that needs to be hunted down, so the time is a higher integer.

Obviously I think this is an awesome idea or I wouldn't be posting it here. I think if something like this were coded it would do things like free up staff time that would otherwise be spent on tracking down items in the database and loading them on NPCs, make the entire processing time of orders streamlined, and make policies like "cash up front" the norm. I think it could also cut down on a lot of the frustration and guesswork associated with players asking "how much and how long?"

It could be a pain in the ass to code, but I'm pretty ignorant of all that.

Thoughts?

This would massively streamline things, and also make it a lot easier for the staff working in those clans.  It's one of the best ideas for the game I've heard of in recent time.  I don't know if the NPC code could do it, but I think it could, seeing as it could work similarly to a tailor, in that you get a ticket and it makes you wait until X game day/time to turn it in, or whatever.

1) There are thousands of items available from House Kadius alone. This could probably be overcome by having multiple merchants but this would take a great deal of effort.

But

2) Staff act as a medium to cull what would be available to certain social tiers and houses. Also what is loaded based on available materials. If Kadius is out of emeralds, for instance, staff wont let you load emeral-adorned gear without securing a new supply. This wouldn't be feasible to code into NPC vendors, though it might be doable with a lot of effort.

3) There some wonder and exclusivity for orderable items. A lot of that would be lost if an House merchant could just look through the entire list. Getting the most desirable items is usually a matter of accrued experience (and House favor) on the part of the merchant and establishing a positive relationship on the part of the buyer.

Quote from: Yam on May 18, 2012, 05:56:36 PM
1) There are thousands of items available from House Kadius alone. This could probably be overcome by having multiple merchants but this would take a great deal of effort.

But

2) Staff act as a medium to cull what would be available to certain social tiers and houses. Also what is loaded based on available materials. If Kadius is out of emeralds, for instance, staff wont let you load emeral-adorned gear without securing a new supply. This wouldn't be feasible to code into NPC vendors, though it might be doable with a lot of effort.

3) There some wonder and exclusivity for orderable items. A lot of that would be lost if an House merchant could just look through the entire list. Getting the most desirable items is usually a matter of accrued experience (and House favor) on the part of the merchant and establishing a positive relationship on the part of the buyer.

In the case of items that have component requirements, why not have the NPC require something like an emerald in addition to coins? Someone has to provide an emerald? Provide an emerald.

As far as lists are concerned.. nowhere in my post did I mention a list. Approaching an NPC and entering the syntax >order dill.spear doesn't require a list of absolutely everything that any given House produces. Say I try and >order hamburger.pilates, and House Bologna doesn't offer ground beef workouts.. they dude just says "we don't sell that sodomite trash."

Going to be mighty hard to order anything unless you know specific keywords then.

But

So it's an OOC barrier.  Those damn newbies haven't put in the TIME and EFFORT to be able to order the special fingerless fighting gloves!  Only I, who have spent years in this game, and learned once on a past character that House X sells these mighty weapons, will be able to order them!

Your main gripe seems to be the effort, which is actually a somewhat valid gripe. However, it might pique the interest of a coder who feels like doing it.  It's not -really- your call to tell us, or them, that it's too much effort.  Just like it isn't my call, or the other guy's call, to tell them they NEED TO DO THIS OMG.  It's just a neat, potentially useful idea.  This could ALSO just be used for everyday items which are ordered literally all the time, but often run out of stock at specific House merchants due to the way things are handled now, reserving the rarer OOC-knowledge-required items for those who have played for years, so that they can still feel special.

Chock it up to accrued experience. At this point I'm still going to have to submit a question request if I'm unsure whether something is sold. I don't see this idea as one to change that. Rather a tool to more efficiently conduct business.

Quote from: maxid on May 18, 2012, 06:17:05 PM

But

So it's an OOC barrier.  Those damn newbies haven't put in the TIME and EFFORT to be able to order the special fingerless fighting gloves!  Only I, who have spent years in this game, and learned once on a past character that House X sells these mighty weapons, will be able to order them!

The fighting gloves are all gone, man. They're all gone.

Quote from: Yam on May 18, 2012, 06:22:46 PM
The fighting gloves are all gone, man. They're all gone.

They are, but my point still stands, it was safer to use something that is no longer a real item for fear of allowing someone who hasn't put in the TIME MAN to FIND OUT IC!!!!! to learn about one of the TOP SECRET CONFIDENTIAL items that can be ordered.

Yeah, pretty much. The Great Merchant Houses aren't Sears Roebuck.

Quote from: Yam on May 18, 2012, 06:37:16 PM
Yeah, pretty much. The Great Merchant Houses aren't Sears Roebuck.

I don't get this post, as it doesn't address anything that's been said - and you've conveniently ignored anything that could actually make you see the point being made so that you can quip and feel smugly secure in your OOC knowledge trumping other people's to give you an IC advantage when you play a role.  So.  Cool.  ::)

I personally don't find item orders taxing on my time, and I think coding a system like this would not be the greatest utilization of our coders' time.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Relax maxid, it'll be okay.

I had my only merchant role where I didn't really know squat about the House's items.

The process of ordering is thus:

1) Collect orders from people. They can either give you descriptions of key words what I want.
   - Burpy Fale wants some type of dagger good for holding poison
   - Fuckhead Borsail wants an obsidian, wyvern-etched breastplate

2) Send in a request relaying the orders.

3) Receive a response of things that are loaded up. Sometimes staff will load up several things that match a customer's description. Or they'll give you a list and say to pick. If the materials are not available or there is some other problem, staff will let you know.

4) Buy the items off an NPC.

5) Mark up. Sell to end customer.

I found this to be a pretty convenient system and it's also the one staff evidently prefers.

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,3920.0.html
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,27280.0.html
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,27280.0.html

Handling the entire thing via a regular merchant NPC or an NPC like Ariada would be more complicated. I outlined why for a regular merchant NPC.

An Ariada-like NPC is, from my understand, pretty hard to code. Even for just a portion of a GMH database. Tickets are also confusing as fuck - as far as I know there's no way to have one NPC give you different tickets for different objects. You could put in a workaround for special materials like the guy who gets silt horror-shells. But that's really all clunky as fuck and easily broken. I also don't think it can all be applied to the same NPC.

But really the request system isn't broken. It works fine.

All I can offer is that this is something that has come up on the staff side before; we have some ideas that have been discussed to an extent such that if such a system were implemented, we have a certain route we'd want to go.  There are other things that are higher priority right now, however.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Another problem is that PC usually don't provide the exact sdesc of the item. Most of orders are vague: "I want something green to go with my brown skirt, not silk, but still something fancy." or "There was this hat, I think it was brown... or maybe black... or pink? Either way, it was cool and I want it."

Most PCs don't know exactly what they're looking for in the wide world of available items.  One of my toughest experiences was as a relatively new player playing a merchant house family member, because I never knew what I was asking for.

However, I would never want to relegate the ordering process to an NPC entirely.  We have shops that do that.  Many of the shops in this game even rotate selections, which is a feature I personally love.

Interacting with a merchant house employee is more of a personalized experience and when I was playing a merchant I loved the opportunity to interact with characters about orders.  The only thing I didn't love was when customers would treat my character like a shop NPC... limited interaction, 'this exactly sdesc is what I want and no I will not talk to you about accessories or anything because I am Busy and I want it right now because I have this thing coming up I didn't adequately plan for in advance' etc.  Fortunately most players didn't do that.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

May 19, 2012, 01:17:36 PM #16 Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:23:54 PM by maxid
Quote from: Nyr on May 19, 2012, 10:16:03 AM
All I can offer is that this is something that has come up on the staff side before; we have some ideas that have been discussed to an extent such that if such a system were implemented, we have a certain route we'd want to go.  There are other things that are higher priority right now, however.

Cool thanks.  I didn't figure it'd be very high priority, but I'm glad it's been considered at least, I'm sure it can sometimes be a ridiculous hassle for staff when people do as Welda said and use imprecise language in order to try and get something.  I just really liked the idea after a recent merchant PC where I felt in the dark about what I had to offer a lot of the time.

Quote from: Yam on May 19, 2012, 03:00:16 AM

DERP ORDER SYSTEM THAT WE'VE BEEN DISCUSSING AT LENGTH REEXPLAINED FOR NO REASON.

Yes I am aware of how the ordering system works, that should be evident as I'm discussing the ordering system, and ways to streamline it.  And I'm not upset in the slightest, just poking fun at your STATUS QUO FOREVER attitude.  I realize you've put in your time to gain your OOC advantage (Heck, I've been here about a decade or so, so I have too) but I dislike that aspect of the game, and the GDB culture surrounding it.  It is offputting to new players, and it stifles innovation that could keep this, already niche as fuck, game alive longer.  Sorry that this is such a difficult concept for you, but OOC knowledge should impact the IC of the game as little as possible.  This is a bit of a novel concept in a Rp game, I admit, but it just might work out if you gave it a try.

No really maxid stop being a jerk we used to play League of Legends together. We used to be friends.

Quote from: maxid on May 19, 2012, 01:17:36 PM
Quote from: Yam on May 19, 2012, 03:00:16 AM

DERP ORDER SYSTEM THAT WE'VE BEEN DISCUSSING AT LENGTH REEXPLAINED FOR NO REASON.

Yes I am aware of how the ordering system works, that should be evident as I'm discussing the ordering system, and ways to streamline it.  And I'm not upset in the slightest, just poking fun at your STATUS QUO FOREVER attitude.  I realize you've put in your time to gain your OOC advantage (Heck, I've been here about a decade or so, so I have too) but I dislike that aspect of the game, and the GDB culture surrounding it.  It is offputting to new players, and it stifles innovation that could keep this, already niche as fuck, game alive longer.  Sorry that this is such a difficult concept for you, but OOC knowledge should impact the IC of the game as little as possible.  This is a bit of a novel concept in a Rp game, I admit, but it just might work out if you gave it a try.

It didn't sound like you knew how the ordering system worked. I put it up to illustrate how simple the process is on the player end and how you don't need specific keywords to order items. You can even ask about what's available if you don't know. I also thought the current ordering system was being misrepresented as overcomplicated and based on knowing secret item keywords. Which it isn't.

When I'm talking about experience with ordering, I'm talking about IC experience, not OOC experience. I came into a merchant role with very little knowledge about what the particular house sold. He learned a lot about what the House sold in game by talking to his crafters, looking at fashionable people, and so on. I also asked about things in my and ordered certain show items in my weekly reports.

ICly, I don't think every starting merchant should be intimately familiar with all the thousand or however many items you can order from a House. Working to learn more of your house's inventory is part of the job. I don't know what the OOC advantage here is. Hypothetically, if I knew of some rare, powerful, and desirous item that nobody else knew about, the cat'd be out of the bag as soon as it was out in the public. If I ordered up a whole bunch and sold a whole bunch right at once, I'd probably be reprimanded for diluting part of the House's exclusive image.

What exactly are you talking about when you mean OOC advantage with item ordering and what kind of automated system would prevent that?

A workable system might give each House a couple of merchants with rotating stock. Kadius might have a merchant for upcoming season promotional clothing and accessories. Salarr might have a material overage guy that sold mekillot bone weapons and mekillot hide armor if mekillots were plentiful, kryl for kryl, etc. Kurac could have a spice and gear surplus merchant. If they all rotated in the same way the Kadian shops did, that would give new merchants a good base idea of what they have to offer.

A ticket system could work for specific sets, like Salarr's horror-shell or Kurac's camouflage.  Kadius has some sets too, but its item list is huge and crazy compared to the other two.

I'm still not sure if that could be coded to take materials into account. I've only ever seen the take-material-sell-thing script on one regular merchant NPC. Tickets are also much harder for me to keep track of than request tool orders.

I played a Kadian once. I religiously checked the shops and the storerooms and took note of what was available in there.

Within a few months I had an extensive knowledge of what was available, despite having very little previous knowledge. I could apply that knowledge to put together items that would work together well as 'outfits' and paid attention to the difference between southern and northern fashion. I made a total killing off fashion-hungry nobles.

Hike up them boots and put in a little elbow grease, cowboys. It really wasn't that hard.

Quote from: Delirium on May 19, 2012, 03:29:49 PM
I played a Kadian once. I religiously checked the shops and the storerooms and took note of what was available in there.

Within a few months I had an extensive knowledge of what was available, despite having very little previous knowledge. I could apply that knowledge to put together items that would work together well as 'outfits' and paid attention to the difference between southern and northern fashion. I made a total killing off fashion-hungry nobles.

Hike up them boots and put in a little elbow grease, cowboys. It really wasn't that hard.

Thank you for illustrating the OOC knowledge that will aid you next time you create a Kadian, that a newbie will not be able to benefit from.  The next time you play a Kadian you won't need to spend a few months before you're able to make insane amounts of coin, which will allow you to have a massive advantage over a newbie hired at the same/a similar time.  I understand you don't see the issue, as you've put in your time, but it is a barrier that you can now now avoid, and that gives you a rather large (several months worth of effort worth!) leg up.  I believe a better system to help even that out, and make it a little easier for new people/people who may not have the free time others do to engage in merchanting a vast amount of goods.

Yam: Those are all potentially helpful or workable systems, I don't know why you magically assumed I had no knowledge of the ordering process.. when we'd been discussing it and ways to improve upon it for the entire thread.  In any case, I realize tickets aren't ideal, especially since they all look the same most of the time (though they could have a desc to describe what they are - a black leather ticket, l ticket, This is a black leather ticket with a suit of silt horror armor stamped into it.)  The rotating stock thing would be neat as well, and allow for people to learn things by visiting as Delirium did, though it would still take months and massively benefit older players over newer ones.

The argument that 'letting people know the full stock would lead to everyone selling the rarest shit all the time' is fallacious, as there are a lot of things that a player OOCly knows that they may not apply IC at any given time.  I wouldn't have my 13 year old atrium trained wanna-be eventual noble's aide know how poisons and cures work, despite knowing it OOCly, I'd learn it IC.  This may seem, at first, to say that people who know that House Kurac can sell fingerless gloves can pretend they don't know, but there are a dozen easy ways to learn how cures work, and it's, at most, an hour long lesson, while learning the full stock of a House can take RL months of dedicated effort to become passably familiar with, as per Delirium's example.  It's been declared not a high priority, however, so I doubt it'll change soon, I just love discussing possible ways to streamline and improve the game.  And the 'STATUS QUO' crowd really annoys me with their shortsightedness, or their thinly veiled join-date-based elitism, so I'm sorry for being fairly aggressive at first...  appeals to tradition just mean fuck all.

May 19, 2012, 06:47:09 PM #20 Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:52:47 PM by Delirium
When you roll up a new kadian family member, you're just starting out, anyway. You're not expected to be perfectly knowledgeable. I don't see the issue.

Learn along with your character.

You don't start playing the game knowing all the wilderness areas like the back of your hand, either.

C'mon man. Seriously.

p.s. I didn't keep that list. I'm aware I'm probably an exception to the rule; but no, I'd start out only vaguely remembering.

edit: I missed where you said "passable knowledge" - very sneaky. When I said extensive I meant extensive. I had "passable knowledge" of the Kadian inventory much sooner than that. ;)

The only inconsistency that mildly bugs me is that some Houses have orderable item lists posted on the GDB for not only family members but also grunt level dudes while others do not have item lists for either, anywhere.

Just to be totally clear: the idea behind this suggestion is not to provide lists to people so that they may order the awesomest shit in the universe, and it is not to replace the interaction between client PCs and merchanting PCs.

I only thought it would be nice for people playing merchant PCs to take an order from someone, walk to an npc, and place the order. This would be a replacement for logging into the request system and placing the order in that manner.

I can see some of the points against it, particularly when people are like "I want something orange to go with by hair" or something along those lines. I still believe this could be resolved via a question request, and it could be added to your PCs knowledge about product.

I just thought it would be nice to have a system in place that allows for complete consistency. This isn't to say that staff is doing a poor job of filling order requests.. I just believe it's a somewhat unnecessary step in the process.

While I do think it would be nice to have a simple, ingame ordering system, I'm going to just have to agree with what has been said by a few people.

I didn't find the system terribly difficult as a Salarri merchant, at least one staffer has said it's not an issue for them, and I'm not sure it's the best use of coders time.  I wouldn't oppose a system that was put into place, but I'm not gonna lobby for one to be coded.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Kronibas on May 19, 2012, 11:04:32 PM
The only inconsistency that mildly bugs me is that some Houses have orderable item lists posted on the GDB for not only family members but also grunt level dudes while others do not have item lists for either, anywhere.

This inconsistency was rectified.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Quote from: Eurynomos on May 20, 2012, 01:06:59 AM

Heh, I guess not by letting all item lists be posted on all House boards, eh?

Quote from: Delirium on May 19, 2012, 06:47:09 PM
When you roll up a new kadian family member, you're just starting out, anyway. You're not expected to be perfectly knowledgeable. I don't see the issue.

Learn along with your character.

You don't start playing the game knowing all the wilderness areas like the back of your hand, either.

C'mon man. Seriously.

p.s. I didn't keep that list. I'm aware I'm probably an exception to the rule; but no, I'd start out only vaguely remembering.

edit: I missed where you said "passable knowledge" - very sneaky. When I said extensive I meant extensive. I had "passable knowledge" of the Kadian inventory much sooner than that. ;)

You're now displaying a fundamental, seemingly intentional misunderstanding of my point.  You'd know it better than a newbie faster even as a new family member due to your OOC learning and while there is nothing that can be done about the wilderness map without ruining the game, there is something that can be done about this (by the way, I'm not a fan of posting TOTAL LISTS OMG, just an organized easy to find/access lift of common items, or a self-refilling merchant with said common items) so it's worth looking into.  I don't understand why some people on the GDB are so against positive change, or even a discussion about potential changes.  As I said before, an appeal to tradition is absolutely worthless, this is a system that can be altered for the better, and so it merits discussion beyond ITS FINE LAWL, NO NEED TO DISCUSS, that is the most intellectually lazy statement that could be made about anything.  Also I wasn't being sneaky with the phrase passable knowledge, it was posted publicly on a message board.  I literally don't know how I could be less sneaky, so that was pointless snark.  I get that you're invested in this for some reason, and so you felt the need to attack, but it's pretty unnecessary.

May 20, 2012, 03:44:58 AM #27 Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:51:58 AM by Yam

Okay I have read your post. What is your solution to your perceived problems.

Quote from: Kronibas on May 20, 2012, 01:33:48 AM

Heh, I guess not by letting all item lists be posted on all House boards, eh?

Not sure on your wording here, but yes. Correct. I think.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Quote from: Yam on May 20, 2012, 04:33:09 AM
Okay I have read your post. What is your solution to your perceived problems.

There were a few options discussed, you even brought up a couple of ideas.  However, Nyr also said they already have a system in place for the future, should this project receive coder time.  I was just pointing out how utterly unconstructive you and Delirium were being for seemingly no reason at all.  If you'd like to discuss the pros and cons of the offered ideas, then by all means, let's.  But I don't really get your endless posts worshiping the status quo as Holy Writ.  There's always room for discussion of ideas. (also, note: They are not just my perceived problems.  They are problems that more than one person in the thread have pointed out, including Nyr and, as gleaned from Nyr's post, other staff members!  I'm not even the OP of the thread.)

Solidifying my decision to never play a House merchant again. (Not that I have the time to do that right now, anyway). That Kuraci item list, which was not 100% complete but had all the basic stuff, was a godsend on my second character when I was still a noob. I played that character for seven RL months. I'm really not sure as a newbie how I would have handled the role without the list, but I bet I would have burned out much, much faster. I do know that I don't want my games to be "work." When I played my first (and only) Kadian merchant, I realized the extent to which the basic Kuraci gear list saved me drudgery and annoyance. Some players may really enjoy sending requests back and forth and trying to figure out which colors of high-heeled silk shoe is available and they may enjoy building their own private databases of clan-only items.  Nothing wrong with that. But I wonder if more House merchant chars would stick around if some of the nails-on-chalkboard aspects were removed or reduced. I suppose the role's just not for me, and that's OK, too. I don't want this to be taken as bitching, just the viewpoint of someone who played a Kuraci merchant as a noob and then a Kadian merchant later.

It's also too bad because certain items will disappear from the game that only older players will know about. If someone doesn't use OOC knowledge, they won't know the items exist. I can think of a few Kuraci items that shouldn't be rare in any sense but that I rarely see and that will continue to fade from the game as time passes. Too bad.

(I can't even imagine what it would be like for a newer player to get a Salarr family role and have to deal with not knowing about the House's basic armor. Yech. I shudder at the thought of the annoyance of having to cope with that).
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I'll chime in also, as someone who's played GMH merchants - one family member sponsored role, and several who landed the jobs through the hiring and promotion process. All three open GMH houses by the way.

As someone in a *sponsored* family member role, it really doesn't make sense for a PC to pop out of chargen NOT knowing certain things. Your character was born and raised in the merchanting environment, and educated about the House, its history, and its products. If you don't -know- what your own house sells, then your family should not have let you out to represent the house as a publically-accessable Junior Merchant/Agent. Knowing which spices are common, which are rare, and the *general* price structure for each in whichever city you gen out of, should be a *given* for a Kuraci family member Junior Merchant.

Knowing which of the House's fashions are northern, which are for certain nobles, or are livery for certain noble houses, and not available to the public, and the rarety of certain of the more rare but known items - should be a -given- for a Kadian northern Family Member.

Knowing about the rarety of silt horror plate armor, whether or not certain materials can be etched and which are only available plain, which armors are "extra light weight for hunters" (usually meaning it offers a + to stamina and/or boost to wilderness hide/sneak) and which are designed specifically to fend off close-range melee attack with swords (plate armor), should be a -given- for a Salarri family merchant. The actual products. I don't mean the generic types. A Salarri family Junior Merchant should be able to say "oh you know what, our family makes something with you in mind. When I get to the warehouse I'll take a look and see if we have one in stock. If not, I'll order it for you."

On the other hand, an -employee- who starts out as a recruit/trainee PC, who is earning/clawing/manipulating/extorting herself to the top, shouldn't magickally know the entire item list. They'd of course be -familiar- with the type of products being sold, and maybe have personal knowledge of certain items available, plus whichever items happen to be loaded up on the NPC shopkeepers/warehouse manager. Anything else, they should have to ask IC or shoot a request tool for.

By the time someone gets to the rank of Agent/Merchant (not junior/overseer/apprentice), one of the privileges of their rank -should- be access to the full item list. ICly, it'd be their warehouse merchant NPC having spent virtual time teaching them the whole thing (or if the PC has read/write cavilish, then access to the written list). OOCly, it'd be available on the website documentation, password protected.

The above is what I'd consider an ideal situation. Starting family members knowing much of the list, but not necessarily every single item and its house price. Recruited non-family PCs who start out as low-ranking employees should have to learn it ICly, in game, through in-game experience. Promoted family member PCs should have access to the full list.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I agree with the previous poster. In some situations it makes perfect sense for them to have much more knowledge of what their house sells, etc. In some situations, it makes perfect sense that they do not. It's not a clear cut issue one way or another only, imo.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 20, 2012, 11:27:07 AM
Brilliant Post

This is a very good way, in my opinion, to handle things.  If you come up IC, learn it IC.  If you app a twenty to thirty year old family member?  Maybe you should be given a bit of knowledge so you don't sound like a jackass, promising that bow X does thing Y, or that gear A is better for doing B than gear C, when you're completely wrong (and have no real way of knowing whether you're wrong or not, because you chose guild: merchant!)

Lizzie's solution is excellent.

I remember being surprised when I realized that my first sponsored role didn't have access to additional documentation. I had always assumed that GMH family members, nobles, and Templars had secret files/forums that gave them the vital information to jump into the game without being clueless idiots.

On the other hand, that DOES explain a lot ...  ;)
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on May 20, 2012, 01:18:18 PM
Lizzie's solution is excellent.

I remember being surprised when I realized that my first sponsored role didn't have access to additional documentation. I had always assumed that GMH family members, nobles, and Templars had secret files/forums that gave them the vital information to jump into the game without being clueless idiots.

On the other hand, that DOES explain a lot ...  ;)

You do get SOME additional documentation.  But it's not to the degree that some people believe it is.

Quote from: Thunkkin on May 20, 2012, 10:22:15 AM
It's also too bad because certain items will disappear from the game that only older players will know about. If someone doesn't use OOC knowledge, they won't know the items exist.
This.

A real shame.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Maxid: take a few deep breaths and chill out, man. I never said I had a hardon for the status quo, and if you got that impression, then blame my lazy posting, sure.

Here's my position: I don't think it's the big deal y'all are making it out to be. It's NOT HARD to do a little legwork yourself and be savvy.

Staff have said that they're not doing this now, but that if they were to, they already have a solution in mind.

So... why is everyone still arguing about it?

Quote from: Delirium on May 20, 2012, 04:31:33 PM
Maxid: take a few deep breaths and chill out, man. I never said I had a hardon for the status quo, and if you got that impression, then blame my lazy posting, sure.

Here's my position: I don't think it's the big deal y'all are making it out to be. It's NOT HARD to do a little legwork yourself and be savvy.

Staff have said that they're not doing this now, but that if they were to, they already have a solution in mind.

So... why is everyone still arguing about it?

I'm fine, promise :).  It is a big deal for the reasons mentioned in the thread, it'd be pretty annoying to list them all again, so please feel free to reread the thread so that you can understand :).  We are discussing solutions because it is fun to discuss potential ways to improve the game, we might even inspire a staffer into thinking - hey this could be a positive contribution to the game, let me go do this!  Then the game is made better for everyone, and we all get an improved experience.  This, being a discussion board, is a place that is uniquely suited for discussion.  I'm glad I could illuminate this phenomenon for you, please let me know if you have any more questions relating to why people are daring to post ideas and opinions on this board, or anything else, and I will do my best to help again!  8)

If a master item list is made for family members or peasants who rise in rank, then there is a high chance that such a list will start making its rounds through certain circles of players like a cheap rinthi whore.

Were this to happen, what's the worst that might happen?  Eh, I dunno.

I have spent a LOT of time playing merchant house family members.  I've played family members for Salarr, Kadius, Nenyuk, and Kurac.  I have always managed to get by without a master list, despite always having wanted one.  I think one of the true shames in not having a master list is that some really great items in certain databases have almost no way of getting back into the game because there are no PCs who know about them, despite the fact that they would ICly be able to ask superiors or warehouse folks about less common stuff.

Quote from: Kronibas on May 20, 2012, 05:21:09 PM
I think one of the true shames in not having a master list is that some really great items in certain databases have almost no way of getting back into the game because there are no PCs who know about them, despite the fact that they would ICly be able to ask superiors or warehouse folks about less common stuff.

You can send in requests to do this.

May 20, 2012, 05:48:55 PM #42 Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:51:25 PM by WWYD
Kadius has a very, very wide selection.

There's no ideal situation.

edit: to clarify, I mean you're asking the immortal to run a check through all the items in the game for really specific keywords, be it Salarr, Kurac, or Kadius, since they only have certain tags available (and very few tags for things like 'Fale' or whatever - when I last played a Kadius merchant, we had a Reynolte-specific jacket sitting around).

Quote from: WWYD on May 20, 2012, 05:48:55 PM
Kadius has a very, very wide selection.

There's no ideal situation.

There's not, but there may be ways to make it easier than it currently is.  There'll always be problems with any system, but it's human nature to try and make things better when we can.

There will always be disconnects between what a character should know and what the player does know.  It applies to every type of character, from the lowest grebber to the most powerful templar.  This problem cannot be universally corrected (even if the entire database were posted, disconnects would occur due to PEBCAK).  Thus, you can't use this particular problem in itself as a point in argument for bettering the game.

Instead, you have to argue why code should be instituted to minimize the problem for certain character types.  This is essentially a consequentialist argument.  You have to argue that GMH family members are somehow more important to the proper functioning of the game than other character types, and to such an extent that it warrants intervention, and that the proposed interventions will actually improve the situation, and fend of criticisms that there are other interventions that would be more beneficial.  In these terms, I haven't been impressed by any of the pro arguments, thus far.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Welda on May 19, 2012, 10:33:58 AM
Another problem is that PC usually don't provide the exact sdesc of the item. Most of orders are vague: "I want something green to go with my brown skirt, not silk, but still something fancy." or "There was this hat, I think it was brown... or maybe black... or pink? Either way, it was cool and I want it."

This.

When i played a Kadian the VAST majority of my orders from commonors and nobles were along the lines of. " I was a velvet outfit"

or

" I want a full outfit with jewlery, orange purple and chartreuse colors, when will you get it for me"
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Sorry for the double post but no. Unless this was very very recent. Kadius has no such list for the pc's in Kadius, and to my knowledge the st's still need to manually search the database for each item.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on May 20, 2012, 08:17:43 PM

Sorry for the double post but no. Unless this was very very recent. Kadius has no such list for the pc's in Kadius, and to my knowledge the st's still need to manually search the database for each item.

I wrote that some Houses have had lists for orderable items, and that is true.  I didn't say Kadius does, but at least one House does did.

May 20, 2012, 09:22:12 PM #48 Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:25:26 PM by Fredd
Quote from: Kronibas on May 20, 2012, 08:24:09 PM

I wrote that some Houses have had lists for orderable items, and that is true.  I didn't say Kadius does, but at least one House does did.

I was referring to the gentleman that posted that it was fixed, as it seemed they said all houses had them now.

Sorry for the confusion :)

Quote from: Fredd on May 20, 2012, 09:22:12 PM

I wrote that some Houses have had lists for orderable items, and that is true.  I didn't say Kadius does, but at least one House does did.

I was referring to the gentleman that posted that it was fixed, as it seemed they said all houses had them now.

Nod, I interpreted what he (she?)  said to mean that the ones that did have lists no longer have lists.

I'd be ok with this idea or a variation of it because I'm all for keeping stuff in game.

What I mean by this is; the less players need to submit requests, or use the GDB forums for in game sort of stuff, the better imo. Also less work for staff.

Quote from: Kronibas on May 20, 2012, 09:33:29 PM

Nod, I interpreted what he (she?)  said to mean that the ones that did have lists no longer have lists.

Correct.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Quote from: Eurynomos on May 20, 2012, 10:22:11 PM
Quote from: Kronibas on May 20, 2012, 09:33:29 PM

Correct.

Aha! i was looking at it backwards! LOL.