Armageddon 2 Cancelled - discussion thread

Started by Adhira, May 15, 2012, 10:08:10 PM

Since Arm2 has been scrapped, I just hope this means that Coders and what-have-you just have more material to slowly implement into Arm1 to keep it going and growing.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

THERE GOES MY GREAT CENDI IDEA.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I'm happy with arm as it is now. I don't mind that I won't have to deal with cat people either.  :)
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: Adj on May 16, 2012, 07:33:49 PM
Quote from: Akaramu on May 16, 2012, 12:06:54 AM
Quote from: Winterless on May 15, 2012, 11:21:48 PM
Quote from: Jdr on May 15, 2012, 11:21:21 PM
So if Arm 2 is not coming (for now), does that mean we can lose the pretence of peace between the major powers and get back at each others' throats again?
+1

+1
+1

I don't understand why ya'll linked these things in your mind.

So if Arm 2 is not coming (for now), does that mean we can lose the pretence of peace between the major powers and get back at each others' throats again?
+1

+1
+1

Like...half of you weren't even around for any of the overt stuff (see:  Copper War).  Nothing is changing overnight, though, as said here before, and we're also not changing our staffing methods at this time.  We didn't announce shit was hitting the fan prior to previous HRPTs (except to warn about the HRPT itself once it became more imminent).

Put on your sandcloth and head on towards RP town and just have fun.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Dear Staff:

New player races and areas would be super fun cool.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Remove the mantis from their valley and replace them with the lizard race community or something as a playable race.

If anything I think we should reduce the size of the game, rather than expand it.

Quote from: Nyr on May 16, 2012, 08:24:55 PM

+1

+1
+1

Like...half of you weren't even around for any of the overt stuff (see:  Copper War).  Nothing is changing overnight, though, as said here before, and we're also not changing our staffing methods at this time.  We didn't announce shit was hitting the fan prior to previous HRPTs (except to warn about the HRPT itself once it became more imminent).

Put on your sandcloth and head on towards RP town and just have fun.

I wasn't being pettish, Nyrface. <3
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Quote from: Ktavialt on May 16, 2012, 08:54:41 PM
If anything I think we should reduce the size of the game, rather than expand it.

>:( Blasphemy
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

To me it isn't about the size of the game world.  There are several areas that probably only get visited once every few RL months by anyone but whirans/drovians/sorcs.  It's about increasing interaction between clans/races/tribes.  If lizard people are going to come up that'd be cool but not if they just stuck to their valley and never left.  If they traveled to 'nak because they worshiped Tek as their Dragon god and had a taste for elven flesh (positive and negative interaction possibilities) then they'd be a cool player race to add.

Personally, I was kind've enamored with the idea of Arm2 starting off with everyone in the same village, learning the ropes, getting a hang of things, and developing a whole new caste system. Then some sort of event or civil war would force the town to faction off into separate entities - forcing players to travel and explore new lands in hopes of finding habitable places to live to build and start new villages.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Since I was involved with a couple different PCs in the various plots that led to this "pretense of peace" I'd just like to point out that it was entirely a player thing and not a staff thing at all, so it's not like we'd really need staff's permission to start being dicks to each other again. Or be dicks to each other more than we've been.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

oh gosh

so many feelings

though with 2.arm gone im hoping the ruling on slave roles might be redefined in the future

happy lutagar

Hmm..I was actually looking forward to Arm 2.0.  Like many, I was excited about the chance to explore a new world and help build the basis of what would eventually become it's defining history for future players.

Dream deferred.  I'm kinda bummed, now.

Not that I do not like Arm 1.0, or feel I've been cheated by our Staff.  I may be on hiatus, but I still love it's current incarnation.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I kinda figured Arm.2 would never come to fruition. I'm happy about it though as I love Arm how it is and can't wait to see new things implemented.

Woot woot!
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Yeah, I don't know how many times I thought to myself: If only the efforts weren't being put forth toward Arm 2 and were being put into flushing out a few things and adding a few things to -this- game.

Quote from: A Large Bag on May 17, 2012, 10:49:04 AM
Yeah, I don't know how many times I thought to myself: If only the efforts weren't being put forth toward Arm 2 and were being put into flushing out a few things and adding a few things to -this- game.

This may be a bit of a logical fallacy.  Admittedly, people as a resource added to Armageddon would have resulted in more people working on Armageddon, but that assumes that we needed the extra builders and coders on the current game in the first place.  Without a Reborn project, we would have had no need for the extra people.  We also weren't adding in whole new zones and areas for shiggles (henceforth, "shits and giggles" shall be abbreviated to this term) in the years prior to Reborn's announcement.  We wouldn't have been adding in whole new zones and areas for shiggles had there not been an announcement.  The existence of work on the project doesn't mean a 1:1 conversion of equal work being done on Armageddon.  While none of us possess a TARDIS, my own best guess is that we would simply have had a different focus for the past five and a half years, and not 9000 new rooms added to the game (some without descriptions, but all without the flags, scripts, etc that are on rooms in the current game).  

However, coding focus from any coding staff would have been directly on the game as it exists now.  This by no means points to the possibility of more code, but it is what it is.  Actually, I'd almost hazard a bet that some code in Arm 1 wouldn't have been done without considering it for Arm 2 or using Arm 2 ideas to implement scripts instead of hard code.  

We could have already had pee code for mounts by now.  :(
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Nyr on May 17, 2012, 11:43:32 AM
We could have already had pee code for mounts by now.  :(

See, I didn't even know I wanted this until you said it. >:(
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,43386.0.html

I guess I was hoping something good would come out of all the work done and all the sacrifices made.  It'd just be better if we could go back and forget the idea Arm 2 was ever conceived.

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on May 17, 2012, 01:48:02 PM
I guess I was hoping something good would come out of all the work done and all the sacrifices made.

I can think of several things that came to fruition largely because "this is something we want to do in Reborn" happened to mesh with "this is something we can actually start on now with current code."

Just retcon dwarves as lizard-people, and NO ONE WILL NOTICE!
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Nyr on May 17, 2012, 02:31:19 PM
Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on May 17, 2012, 01:48:02 PM
I guess I was hoping something good would come out of all the work done and all the sacrifices made.

I can think of several things that came to fruition largely because "this is something we want to do in Reborn" happened to mesh with "this is something we can actually start on now with current code."

We get Teflon, but we don't get to see Mars.  I'm happy with that.  :)

To reiterate what Nyr has said - there are a bunch of changes that happened to this game because of the work that was being done on Arm 2.  A lot of them are staff side tools that players never see but that have made the job of staffing and communicating amongst staff and with players a lot easier and more streamlined. 

Small ideas we had for Arm 2 have found their way in to the game.  We have a website designed and waiting to be 'tested' that we originally were working on for Arm 2 and instead decided to port over the current games info.  Extended subguilds are something we were trialling here as they were one of the things we were looking towards for arm 2, and so on.

"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.