Layer Me, Baby, One More Time

Started by brytta.leofa, May 04, 2012, 01:08:30 PM

An idea comes up every now and then.  Here's an implementation that requires no changes to wearable objects; just to code (and to the way the equipment list is stored).

Morgenes, this would create DECADES of fun for the Tulukis and Atriumites. You know it's true.

> look me
Son, you look awful nekkid.

# Normal usage:
> wear drawers
You wear a pair of linen drawers on your legs.
> wear pants
You wear a pair of leather pants with awesome pockets on your legs, covering a pair of linen drawers.
> wear greaves
You wear a pair of bone greaves on your legs, covering a pair of leather pants with awesome pockets.

# Can't wear armor on top of armor.
> wear cuirboilli
You can't wear a pair of bone-studded cuirboilli pants on top of your other armor.

# Can't wear more than two layers, unless the third layer is armor.
> remove greaves
> wear pants
That would be too stifling on top of your pair of linen pants and your pair of linen drawers.

# It's what you gemmers have been waiting ALL YOUR LIVES for.
> wear bandana about throat
You tilt your head and fasten a black sandcloth bandana about your throat, covering a dull black gem.
You are now wanted!
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

It would be cool but in order for it to work there might need to be some tweaking to clothing and armor weights to make it work correctly.

Quote from: A Large Bag on May 04, 2012, 01:10:29 PM
It would be cool but in order for it to work there might need to be some tweaking to clothing and armor weights to make it work correctly.

Not particularly, as this is mostly just for show.

Mostly, you'd just have to decide which armors and clothing cover up the things below it.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

May 04, 2012, 01:21:27 PM #3 Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 01:23:23 PM by brytta.leofa
Quote from: A Large Bag on May 04, 2012, 01:10:29 PM

And I'm sure there's a double-sandclothing issue.  But nothing game-breaking?  Some locations, like About Body, should probably not be stackable.

Quote from: Dalmeth on May 04, 2012, 01:20:52 PM
Mostly, you'd just have to decide which armors and clothing cover up the things below it.

My assumption is that everything covers what's beneath it.  Virtually, this is happening already.  (And if a body's unhappy that his carru-hide thong is hiding his trousers, well...let's be reasonable.)

Quote from: brytta.leofa on May 04, 2012, 01:21:27 PM
And I'm sure there's a double-sandclothing issue.  But nothing game-breaking?

I'm sure negating any effects of the under layers would be just dandy.

"Be impressed.  Now!"

Regardless of how this is packaged and presented as an idea, it is still a massive code undertaking to do layered worn items.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on May 04, 2012, 01:30:41 PM
Regardless of how this is packaged and presented as an idea, it is still a massive code undertaking to do layered worn items.

I eye you morbidly, sir.

Yes, everything that expects a single item in a wear location would be fairly surprised.  On the other hand, those places are fairly easy to track down.  On the other other hand, we've gotten happy and comfortable with a MUD that rarely crashes, and this kind of change is a great way to, uh, "fix" that. :P

remove greaves
remove pants
remove panties
remove skin

FUCK.

Quote from: Karieith on May 04, 2012, 01:50:13 PM
remove greaves
"Hello there."
remove pants
"Hot stuff."
remove panties
"Let's go then."
remove skin
"WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU??!!"
FUCK.

That's how a Nilazi does it, baby.

I tell my lovers that there's a little string attached to my whole set of armor and if they pull on it, it all goes down in one shot.

Then I hit my macro to remove everything. Pretty simple.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: brytta.leofa on May 04, 2012, 01:47:34 PM
I eye you morbidly, sir.

Yes, everything that expects a single item in a wear location would be fairly surprised.  On the other hand, those places are fairly easy to track down.  On the other other hand, we've gotten happy and comfortable with a MUD that rarely crashes, and this kind of change is a great way to, uh, "fix" that. :P

I think he refers to editing all the currently existing items to match the new scheme.  It's not all necessarily in an easily transferable format.

"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on May 04, 2012, 02:37:24 PM
I think he refers to editing all the currently existing items to match the new scheme.  It's not all necessarily in an easily transferable format.

My notion was to use the existing armor ("Will the Salarr shop buy this?") flag.  Yeah, anything that requires changes to items seems like a definite non-starter.

What I mean is that as this thing is laid out, it is 3 simple ideas that are basically back to "let's layer worn items."  It is a difficult undertaking as well as a significant one.  It likely will not be done flippantly or as a "oh yeah by the way I made it so all items can be worn in a layered fashion by meeting these requirements laid out."  As it is there are (or at least were) still issues with items not covering tattoos and scars properly.  I don't know that there is a baby steps approach to layering worn items if that is something that the Producers want to move towards.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Yeah, understood.  I'm just trying to reduce what's probably the #1 objection: oh sweet Tek the object database the whole thing.

Arguing from ignorance, a few ways of baby-steppin' it come to mind:
(1) Switch the wear locations to be lists, but enforce a maximum of one item - to get the code primed without a direct impact on users.
(2) Move tattoos into the planned layering system, and try to flush out the logic errors.
(3) Without making the capabilities available to players, begin the Secret NPC Underpants Prototype Initiative.

Look, this is a whole chunk of work with lots of potential to destabilize the game, and could only happen if a coder gets excited about it and gets sign-on from the Produlords.  My whole intent here is to hand-wave about how straightforward it might be in hopes of getting a coder excited about it. ;)