Tuluki Fashion Question

Started by Barsook, April 15, 2012, 11:18:00 AM

April 15, 2012, 11:18:00 AM Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:20:24 AM by Barsook
It's either that I not seeing this or it's not the docs (or after my search), but what colors are considered bad and good luck and are they are any colors that are related to emotions that are more shown in Tuluk than Allanak?

Carp, wrong forum!  Can you move this to the World Discussion forum?  Thanks.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Any Colors specifically associated with a Noble house of another city is generally a faux-pas in the opposing city.

IE:

Tor is Red/crimson and black. I'de avoid wearing this in Tuluk if you don't want Bards, Nobles, and well-to-do's talking about you.

Black and Silver is Tenneshi, and while the general populace in Allanak might not care, Nobles and well-to-do's will probably notice and remark about it.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

And I'm assuming that no commoner (and anyone else in another House) should be wearing other House's colors.  (Same for Allanak, right?)
Fredd-

April 15, 2012, 11:49:15 AM #3 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:50:50 AM by Riya OniSenshi
Tor's colors are Red and silver according to documentation. Quite close to Lyksae colors of Crimson and grey, really.
Borsail's colors are Crimson and Black.
And then there's Valika's colors being green and silver while Winrothol being Jade and silver.

Having to point this out makes me sad.

There's nothing wrong with wearing a House's colors if you're not affiliated with them - there's something wrong with wearing the House's emblem or a uniform piece when you're not, though. And more so if you're claiming you are affiliated when you're not.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on April 15, 2012, 11:49:15 AM
Tor's colors are Red and silver according to documentation. Quite close to Lyksae colors of Crimson and grey, really.
And then there's Valika's colors being green and silver while Winrothol being Jade and silver.

There's nothing wrong with wearing a House's colors if you're not affiliated with them - there's something wrong with wearing the House's emblem or a uniform piece when you're not, though. And more so if you're claiming you are affiliated when you're not.

Touche. I got the southern houses colors mixed. But not being affiliated with them is fine, but wearing them in the other city, in my experience, got people joking about you behind your back.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Barsook on April 15, 2012, 11:18:00 AM
It's either that I not seeing this or it's not the docs (or after my search), but what colors are considered bad and good luck and are they are any colors that are related to emotions that are more shown in Tuluk than Allanak?

The question of colors is not answered in the Clothing Documentation in the Tuluki section, although Allanak has some specific thoughts on colors (pale green is unlucky, blue is a mourning color). I do not believe that Tuluk has any particular belief about colors in any public documentation. However, certainly with red and white being the colors of the city, that would enter into things. Some might consider those colors lucky, many patriotic, and so on.

For popular colors, looking at NPCs around the city might help.

Quote from: Fredd on April 15, 2012, 11:55:22 AM

Touche. I got the southern houses colors mixed. But not being affiliated with them is fine, but wearing them in the other city, in my experience, got people joking about you behind your back.

Helpful references:

I think that wearing house-specific colors of Allanak in Tuluk might get you some strange looks, depending on the circumstances. Also, wearing the specific noble colors of one house in Tuluk, if you're not working for them or a partisan might mean that you get mistakenly associated with them. However, that's not the same as saying never wear them. Use the best judgement you have for the particular circumstance.

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on April 15, 2012, 12:06:26 PM
The question of colors is not answered in the Clothing Documentation in the Tuluki section, although Allanak has some specific thoughts on colors (pale green is unlucky, blue is a mourning color). I do not believe that Tuluk has any particular belief about colors in any public documentation. However, certainly with red and white being the colors of the city, that would enter into things. Some might consider those colors lucky, many patriotic, and so on.

That's what I thought (for Tuluk).  And yeah, one thing that I have noticed is the use of white and red as patriotic colors.

That's what I thought too, thanks for clearing that up (taven too).
Fredd-

Quote from: Taven on April 15, 2012, 12:06:26 PM
Quote from: Barsook on April 15, 2012, 11:18:00 AM

For popular colors, looking at NPCs around the city might help.

Quote from: Fredd on April 15, 2012, 11:55:22 AM

Helpful references:

I think that wearing house-specific colors of Allanak in Tuluk might get you some strange looks, depending on the circumstances. Also, wearing the specific noble colors of one house in Tuluk, if you're not working for them or a partisan might mean that you get mistakenly associated with them. However, that's not the same as saying never wear them. Use the best judgement you have for the particular circumstance.

I just need my morning Mountain Dew, that's all, LOL.

But I think you summed it up how I was trying to, and failing do to sleepyness.

April 16, 2012, 07:27:26 AM #8 Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:30:05 AM by Karieith
Better Best way to deal with this very complicated matter? Wear nothing.

Quote from: Adj on April 17, 2012, 07:28:00 PM(what exactly is sandcloth made out of anyway? vague docs)

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/general/clothing.htmlSandcloth: A very loose weave of cotton, often used for desert wear, but is incorporated into some daily wear too.

Loosely woven cotton.  I Googled "loose weave cotton" and one of the first few entries was this, which led me to:

http://phrontistery.info/fabric.html

holland    coarse plain-woven cotton or linen
hopsack    rough-surfaced loose fabric

Hopsack is also referred to as hopsacking.  You can find images of hopsacking on Google pretty easily.  Seems about right.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

It seems contradictory that Allanak docs suggest green is a poor choice in fashion colors. There are -three- noble houses in Allanak whose colors include green: Kasix (green/black), Fale (green/purple) and Valika (green/silver). It seems to me, that green would be a popular color, one people would be proud to wear. Either that, or wear at the very least, so as not to suggest to the nobles that -their- choice in colors is in poor taste.

Also, the whole north/south switching colors thing:

In most cases, it's way too convoluted and complex to force any kind of percepted social acceptance into color choices. Here's why:

Southerer shows up in Tuluk, has a northern accent, with no particular speech affectations. So he's uninked, but talks like a native. He's wearing a decent leather armor gear and accessories, made by Kurac, Salarr and Kadius. The overall color scheme is black, silver, and red.

What's the perception? Is he trying to mock Tenneshi? Is he showing support for Kurac? Is he not-so-secretly a Sath employee? Could he be an aggressive, boastful Tor cadet looking for a quick disappearance? Or maybe he's displaying the Borsail colors to show that he's recently killed one of that House's people and is now wearing the dead guy's stuff, to show Tuluk where his loyalties really lie (with Tuluk). Or maybe he wants to be a Lyksae warrior when he some day becomes a citizen.

OR

Maybe he just knows that black, silver, and red are a really nice color combination and that the myriad of noble and merchant houses don't have a monopoly on good taste.

Now, if he was wearing jewelry with scorpions carved into the stones, there might be some problems. Or if his jaunty hat had a hat-pin carved to look like a wyvern - it's a clue he's got something political to say.

In short, I don't think that it's the colors, or the color combinations themselves, that have particular significance. It's the color combinations, combined with any emblems, embroideries, sigils, etc. etc. etc. that have significance. And even then, you wouldn't know just by looking at them, if the significance is to mock whatever they're depicting, or to honor it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think pretty much the only colour combinations that would be considered unseemly would be the other city state's national colours. A black and jade outfit would be considered offensive in the north, although one might get away with black and green (Zalanthans are very good at telling their ebon black from their obsidian black, after all  :P)

Red and pure white would also be considered tasteless in the south. Tabards aren't very popular, either, I imagine.

House colours would be too trivial to matter, unless it was made patently obvious (like wearing Tor colours with scorpion motifs, and such).

Jusy my opinion.

Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 18, 2012, 07:44:38 AM
Insert Quote
It seems contradictory that Allanak docs suggest green is a poor choice in fashion colors. There are -three- noble houses in Allanak whose colors include green: Kasix (green/black), Fale (green/purple) and Valika (green/silver). It seems to me, that green would be a popular color, one people would be proud to wear. Either that, or wear at the very least, so as not to suggest to the nobles that -their- choice in colors is in poor taste.

I started writing up a response and realized my response rang a bell, so I did a search for "pale green" by me.

Quote from: Nyr on February 17, 2011, 03:27:37 PM
Yes, you can only go as far as your OOC knowledge allows you to go.  You can correctly imitate Allanaki fashion (should you so choose, since we staff are not necessarily your fashion police) by perusing the documentation on it.  They are very general ideas of what is acceptable and not because it's fashion, and we expect players to be able to take some guidance from them rather than have it beaten into their heads.  The clothing documentation doesn't suggest that everyone wearing pale green in Allanak is unlucky, nor that everyone wearing blue is in mourning, after all, so why does it matter if a few NPCs have pale green on? Maybe they know it's unlucky and just don't care because it was cheaper that day.  Maybe they're wearing blue because they like the color.

Some documentation is meant to help spell out guidelines.  In that same thread I was pointing out that just because you can do something because the code allows it, it doesn't mean you should disregard documentation entirely.  That's why there are words there like "particularly pale green" and "generally" in that snippet from the documentation. 

In most cases, it's way too convoluted and complex to force any kind of percepted social acceptance into color choices.

Force?  No.  However, just because you can wear any color combination and may not be immediately accosted by animated NPCs, PCs, or staff sending an e-mail...you shouldn't just disregard it entirely without structured reasoning.

What's the perception? Is he trying to mock Tenneshi? Is he showing support for Kurac? Is he not-so-secretly a Sath employee? Could he be an aggressive, boastful Tor cadet looking for a quick disappearance? Or maybe he's displaying the Borsail colors to show that he's recently killed one of that House's people and is now wearing the dead guy's stuff, to show Tuluk where his loyalties really lie (with Tuluk). Or maybe he wants to be a Lyksae warrior when he some day becomes a citizen.

The perception is whatever the people with power and influence in his neck of the woods considers it to be.  It's up to him to plead his case, not you.

In short, I don't think that it's the colors, or the color combinations themselves, that have particular significance. It's the color combinations, combined with any emblems, embroideries, sigils, etc. etc. etc. that have significance. And even then, you wouldn't know just by looking at them, if the significance is to mock whatever they're depicting, or to honor it.

Colors and color combinations have significance.  It is up to the PC wearing them what significance they have.  It is also up to those viewing the PC what significance they might have.  This would start up RP and conflict, not restrict it, so this is the route we would prefer things to go.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Okay, that clears is up very well.  (about the noble house thing)  Thanks Lizzie and Nyr.  But I feel like it should be the motifs that makes the big difference not the combos.  Then again it's more making for more reasons to roleplay.
Fredd-

The preview of this post's topic keeps coming up as Tuluki Fashion Quest and I keep hoping it's about some new exciting Poet's Circle game show.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on April 19, 2012, 03:03:02 AM
The preview of this post's topic keeps coming up as Tuluki Fashion Quest and I keep hoping it's about some new exciting Poet's Circle game show.

One of these outfits will impress the entire town.
One of these outfits will do nothing.
And one of these outfits will make you disappear.

:D Just kidding, they all make you disappear.