How -EXACTLY- Do I Make Logs?

Started by FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit, August 08, 2003, 03:13:14 PM

I never really knew how. If some one could give me a step-by-step, guide for complete idiots sort of thing, I'd be very, very, very grateful. Thanks.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Umm....are you talking about IC lumberjacking, or recording your playing sessions?
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Emote out what you are trying to accoplish. save it in a text file and submit it to the IMs.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Heh. Sorry. I don't mean actual, wooden logs, but recording word for word what I've done in game. What I want to know is if there is some sort of program that will 'copy down' whatever I do or see while in game, so I could save memorable RPTs and such, or keep track of important events. I'm not neccasarily trying to 'accomplish' something, but even if I was, I'm really not sure what people mean by 'save it to a text file'. Help?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
     "You are likely dead."

There are two ways.  Most telnet programs have a way to create logs.  Under one of the menus.  It will have an option like 'log' or 'start logging', or something to that extent.  You click it.  It asks what you want to call the file, and it records everything you type and all the responses you get.  At some point you tell it to stop logging.  Again, it is an option in some menu.  What telnet program you are using will determine where and what that command is called.  The other way that anyone can do is simply to copy and paste everything you do into a word document, text, file, or anything of that nature.

For an example of logging, I once ran into a bug.  It caused during a Byn graduation all the NPCs to attack me, and bunch of confused PCs to jump in thinking I had done something to incure the wrath of all commanding officers.  Sufficient to say, I died quickly.  Confused as hell as to what happened, after I got the big mantis head, instead of closing my client I scrolled back all the way to the last few moments right before everything attacked me.  I then just copied a good 5 pages worth of text the way you would copy anything, then pasted it into wordpad.  I sent the file into the account, and a very mortified Byn imm said fixed everything up, gave me back my life, and gave me a decent cover story to explain what happened.

I am not sure what else you could be asking.  Making a log is just transferring the text on the screen to some sort of txt file.  Either copy and paste it or use your telnet clients built in logging function.

I'll check for a built in logging function... Thanks.

Some basic problems I've had with trying to copy/paste like normal, is...

1.When I copy something in game, it doesn't seem to register. It just doesn't add it to my clipboard. I try and paste it into a Word document, and nothing comes up.
2.I'm incapable of scrolling back up. I'd be screwed in the situation you mentioned, Rindan. I can only scroll up a few lines, then it just... Well, stops. I can't move the little bar any futher.

Does anyone know what might be causing these problems?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
     "You are likely dead."

What client are you using?
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I don't really know. I just go to the Armageddon home page, click on 'Web-browser Client', then click on the grey 'Enter Zalanthas' button that eventually pops up.

I just checked, and I see no built-in logging function. To give a feel as to how far back I'm able to scroll, I can only fit eleven 'score' sheets on my client before I'm no longer able to scroll upwards. That is to say, however many lines of text are in eleven 'score' sheets is how many lines of text can I see at one time. Does that make any sense?

And if you're wondering at this point, yes, I am completely computer illiterate.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
     "You are likely dead."

If you are using gmud, zmud, mushclient, or anything even slightly similar, you will find a doohickie (that's a technical term!) up in that top menu that appears at the top of the zmud/mushclient/whatever big screen thing.

It'll be listed usually in the very far upper left, under a word "FILE". Click on that word FILE, and it'll pull down another menu of stuff. Within that menu of stuff should be some kind of "log event" or "capture event" or similar. That's what you want!!!

Click on that thing. It will (with a few variations depending on the thingie you're using) ask you how you want this file you're creating to be saved. It's asking you to name it. Go ahead and name it, let the thingie give it that .xxx extention that it wants to give it.

Then click okay, or apply, or whatever it asks you to do in ordered to deliver you back to the game.

When you're done with the "event" that you are trying to save in a file, go back up to that FILE thing and open that menu, and you'll see a thing to END LOG, or END SESSION, or CLOSE Session, or some such nonsense. Do whatever that thing is, that it suggests you can do.

The end.

Watch for MUD-Client For Dummies, by Bestatte!!

Bestatte, all that appears beneath 'File' for me are the options 'Connect', 'Disconnect', 'Print' and 'Exit'.

The other categories besides 'File' are 'Edit' and 'Terminal'. 'Edit' contains only the non-functional 'Copy' and 'Paste' options, and Terminal contains a plethora of color-changing junk; 'Foreground', 'Background', 'Smaller font', 'Larger font', 'Buffer +50', 'Buffer -50', and 'Reset Terminal'. 'Foreground' and 'Background', when clicked on, offer me a number of color choices for my viewing pleasure... But they really don't help me make logs...
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
     "You are likely dead."

Eep. You're using the java-client from the Armageddon webpage? It's handy to have in emergencies but Oy! Is it ever difficult to actually use.

Use one of these below instead, trust me, you'll like it much better:

GMud = http://darkages.darkfantastic.net/pages/gmud32.exe
Simple to use and rather userfriendly, though it doesn't have many fancy options. My client of choice.

SimpleMU = http://simplemu.onlineroleplay.com/
Also rather simple without too many bells and whistles, more options than GMud though it can be a little clunky in some respects. I used it for a year or so.

As for the actual logging, it's slightly different for each of those.

In GMud, there's a little reddish diagonal bar icon, the second to last on the right, looks like, well, a log. Click that. Alternately, you can go up to the file menu and scroll down to 'Logging'.

In SimpleMU, there's an icon that looks like a notebook with a pen. You can click that. Or you can press Control+L. Or you can go to the 'File' menu and scroll down to 'Start Logging'.

---> If you're a first-time MU*client user, you might need help figuring out how to connect to Armag through them. I'm no teacher but I'll throw that in as well.

Gmud:
Go to the File menu --> Connect --> A window will come up. There is a row of options on the bottom of the window. Click 'Add'. ---> At the prompt, enter 'Armageddon' --->  It will add 'Armageddon' to a list on the left. Click on the name. ---> Go over to the field where it says 'Host Name'. Then enter 'ginka.armageddon.org'. ---> Below that, enter 4050 in the field where it says 'Port'. --->  There you go, then just click 'Connect' or 'Exit' down at the bottom of the popup window.

SimpleMU*:

File --> New Connection Wizard ---> at the first prompt, you're entering 'ginka.armageddon.org' ---> at the second, '4050' ---> Select 'MUD" at the third prompt --> Call it whatever you want, Armageddon would be the obvious choice ---> there you go. Click the little green computer Icon at the top to connect, or go to File -> Connect To -> Armageddon.