Shields

Started by JollyGreenGiant, August 06, 2003, 02:44:15 PM

I saw something in another thread, some time ago, about when you have a shield wielded, but no weapon.  I didn't really pay much attention to it at the time, but recently, I experienced it first-hand.  If you have a shield but no weapon, the game seems to be treating it as if you're fighting completely unarmed.  I suppose technically, you're "unarmed" at that point, but it seems wrong, somehow.  If you were offwielding even a dagger, you'd block more blows than if you're holding just a shield, which doesn't seem quite right.  Is this something that should be fixed, or that even can be fixed?
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Get better with your shield is all I have to say. I had an assassin without parry and was disarmed. I must have blocked four rounds of attacks before realizing I had been disarmed, then grabbing up my weapon. Shielding is a highly underrated skill as it is.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Also what helps when having just one weapon as opposed to just a shield is the attacker's self-preservation. One might be a little more wary on the attack when there's a chance they're going to take a stab in the side.

But also, get better at shield_use :P

I had a half-giant bynner who could only use a shield in sparring for a good while. And I can say that it never felt like I was 'unarmed', in a sense of just being hit. My shield would catch maybe 1 out 5 when I first started, and gradually built up to where I was blocking maybe half the time, and then another 25% being actually hitting my shield, and then getting hit or dodging the last 25%.

It also helps if you wield the shield instead of holding it if you have no weapon.

Quote from: "Tony"But also, get better at shield_use :P

K.  :)

Thanks for the replies, btw.  You people are amazingly useful.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

From my experiences it's probably going to be a fairly older character before you get good enough to make a shield useful.

Personally think shields should be the easiest form of defense.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"From my experiences it's probably going to be a fairly older character before you get good enough to make a shield useful.
I completely disagree.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I recently had a shield wielding character and the shield was handy right off the bat. After 2 days it was very nice, could handle a couple of gortoks at the same time.

With an experienced shield user, you will block quite a few blows, unarmed.
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?

Wanted to start off by agreeing with many of the above posts. With shield_use, you can do AMAZING things with a shield. To say nothing of posing nude, and holding it in front of your naughty bits! But that's another topic...

I will also say that for characters who DON'T have shield_use, I've seen a BIG difference in the amount of times I hit them when sparring. It's a case of being hit EVERY round versus being hit two out of every three, or a similar proportion. Sure, you're still getting hit, but you're getting hit less.

And in this case, less is more! Less hits, more fighting time!  :twisted:

Wow...some guilds don't get shield use???
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Wrong, every guild gets shielding and dual wielding.

Some are far better at it than others.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

That's what I thought...hell, even merchants get shield use and dual wield...not that they can dual-wield anything other than shields.  (Note: Do not do this...I'm joking.  It is frowned upon, from everything I've heard.)
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.