What are your two favorite subguilds?

Started by Cind, January 23, 2012, 01:49:06 PM

If this thread already exists than I am an idiot.

Mine are master tailor and tinker. Tinkers can make such damn useful things and while I haven't tried master tailor, I love the regular tailor subguild and my head's been full of mastercraft ideas lately. I'm also particularly fond of the bard subguild.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Hunter and nomad. That's not counting the new ones though.

Yeah I like combat PCs.

Nomad for all the bilingual tribal fun
Scavenger for food foraging and scale-ability

New master tailor sub is neato.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Anything with climb is great.  Scavenger is obviously a favorite, although I only recently learned about the food thing--from earlier states of the helpfiles I assumed they had a forage artifact bonus.    I've always loved subguilds with flee too, even before the change, and before skill levels so you couldn't tell it wasn't increasing.  Even the starting skill level of subguild flee seems to be enough to give some of the bonuses.

All in all, though, the value of a subguild is so heavily dependent on the rest of the char's build that picking out and out favorites is tough.  Even seemingly underwhelming subguilds like, say, Thief or House Servant, can be crazy useful depending on the choice of main guild.

Con-artist and linguist.

Yes, linguist.  The bane of all races who think they can talk freely in their own language.  I only wish I could trade one language for another.
Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!

I like Scavenger and House Servant. They give a lot of skills one would expect from a lowborn past and all... except flower arranging. I tend not to use that unless my PC would have some reason to know it.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Forester and Jeweler.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

I'd shoot for mercenary, and either scav/nomad ... It's a tough choice between the last two.  as far as favorite subguilds.

Linguist is amusing. If you haven't been around too long, and you bust out the allundean? Woah, you must be a hidden half-elf! ::)

I'm fond of mercenary and nomad as subguilds. Haven't tried any of the new ones yet, though!

Scavenger/hunter if I'm playing a gicker of some kind. Armor or weapon crafting if I'm playing a ranger. And hunter/archer if I'm playing a merchant. My favorite subguild really depends on what my main guild is.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Delirium on January 23, 2012, 04:33:25 PM
Linguist is amusing. If you haven't been around too long, and you bust out the allundean? Woah, you must be a hidden half-elf! ::)

I'm fond of mercenary and nomad as subguilds. Haven't tried any of the new ones yet, though!

I like linguist and nomad myself!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I like nomad and con artist.  Tribals are fun for non-city characters and  con artist is always good for general city trash.

Scavenger/Thug.

Honorable mention:
Acrobat/hunter
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Nomad/Scavenger. For old

Outdoorsman/protector. for new :)

Hunter/Scavenger. For old.

Grebber/Slipknife. For le new. :D

Scavenger is one of my favorites; it's the ultimate explorer-type subguild.

The runner up for me is stonecrafter.  You can make some pretty darn nifty utility/decorative stuff!
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

Mercenary and Nomad. I hate not being able to ride.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

I like all of them.

Though I probably use Rebel and Scavenger the most.

Linguist the least because Allundean can be easily learned in most places and Mirukkum is rarely used.

I love me some Bard and Linguist.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Liguist is fun, but I think It would be much better if it gave you a random smattering of accents and languages, rather than just giving you what it does, or better yet, let your choose.

Quote from: TheBadSeed on January 27, 2012, 11:51:41 PM
Liguist is fun, but I think It would be much better if it gave you a random smattering of accents and languages, rather than just giving you what it does, or better yet, let your choose.

Yeah, and I doubt breeds, elves, muls and dwarves ever take that subguild. I did, once, but for a flavor character I didn't mean to survive long with.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: TheBadSeed on January 27, 2012, 11:51:41 PM

It'd be my top pick, then. :O
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Multiple different accents and languages fitting a background sounds like an excellent use of the spec app system.

I've changed my mind to bard and tailor because I am fickle and demand things.