Changes to hide?

Started by Kol, January 05, 2012, 02:06:41 PM

January 05, 2012, 02:06:41 PM Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:22:08 PM by Kol
Think about it, as a child, you play hide and sneak, as a teenager, you got pretty good at sneaking past teachers and your parents, In college, that one person you had an awkward moment with once...

So why isn't Hide a generic skill? I can appreciate some will never have a knack for it as much as others, but even a half-giant has some chance of successfully avoiding a casual glance by stepping behind that large statue, or behind that tree.

EDIT TO ADD:

To explain further, I think Hide should be added to all guilds, and for the non-stealth guilds, capped at a lower cap than a sub-guild  that applied it would achieve.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

January 05, 2012, 02:34:30 PM #1 Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:36:32 PM by Spoon
It would be nice if everyone could hide in certain rooms (no empty corridors), but everyone could also no-skill scan and find them.

(already aware you can use both these without the skill, just I don't think they do anything)

Scan will do stuff. I have scanned out VERY easy to scan out mobs by scanning with a PC who did not have the scan skill.

I think the cap is just very low. To the point that you will basically never be able to scan out the more sneaky of the sneaky-sneaks.

Hide ... I don't know. It might be like the pick lock skill ... where you can try but the game will just put you in an indefinite skill delay without ever giving you a conclusion.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Kol on January 05, 2012, 02:06:41 PM
So why isn't Hide a generic skill?

The same reason that many other abilities are not generic skills:  we have a guild/subguild system in this game.  You pick and choose advantages and disadvantages.  If you want your half-giant to hide, you have the ability to select his guild and subguild prior to character generation.  We are not going to make every skill available to every character, and this is no exception.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on January 05, 2012, 02:55:26 PM
Quote from: Kol on January 05, 2012, 02:06:41 PM
So why isn't Hide a generic skill?

The same reason that many other abilities are not generic skills:  we have a guild/subguild system in this game.  You pick and choose advantages and disadvantages.  If you want your half-giant to hide, you have the ability to select his guild and subguild prior to character generation.  We are not going to make every skill available to every character, and this is no exception.

I was in no way implying all skills should be given to all classes, at all, I love the guild/subguild system the game has, I simply think that everyone has the ability to hide, and the world should reflect it. However, your answered with staff policy, and I appreciate the stand-point.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Because hide is extremely powerful in this game.

there are options to the proposed version of hide. Choosing northern side of meleth's circle over southern to avoid meeting someone. Using back alleys to cross the city. Choosing the longest route. Keeping your hood on and praying they dont notice you passing by. And so on.

...you're mocking me, aren't you?  XD
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 05, 2012, 04:20:44 PM
so is scan.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I just remembered something about hide, so it is a bad idea. :P

hide is a horrifying power that seems to level up pretty quickly. while i like the idea of everyone being able to get novice or mid-apprentice hide, the idea of a sorceror or warrior or heaven forbid a ranger with poison arrows using it and aiming for me with their crazy which will make me die.... yeah.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Cind on January 06, 2012, 10:58:48 AM
hide is a horrifying power that seems to level up pretty quickly. while i like the idea of everyone being able to get novice or mid-apprentice hide, the idea of a sorceror or warrior or heaven forbid a ranger with poison arrows using it and aiming for me with their crazy which will make me die.... yeah.

I know when I think of a defiler, my first thought is "my God.  What would he do with hide?"  ;)

And heaven forbid a ranger be able to move silently and remain unseen in the wilderness...those wascally wabbits...
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Dakota on January 06, 2012, 08:53:31 AM
Quote from: Delusion on January 05, 2012, 08:01:04 PM
Quote from: Iiyola on January 05, 2012, 07:31:11 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 05, 2012, 04:20:44 PM
so is scan.
Not really.

No really. It is.

Only when 'looks at you' is some sort of horrifying phrase to you.  Scan really...is not that big of a deal.  At all.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on January 06, 2012, 04:38:38 PM
Only when 'looks at you' is some sort of horrifying phrase to you.  Scan really...is not that big of a deal.  At all.

Except that presumably you were hiding because your toe-to-toe chances were poor.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

the shriveled, elven male speaks to you as he leans back with a lone eyebrow arching up slowly and the wrinkles on his face shifting about while nodding in a sage like manner: "I've seen things you roundears wouldn't believe. Attack witches blurred and afire off the shoulder of Xyrtix'Za. I've watched a Wyvren glitter in the dark atop a towering spire. All those moments will be lost to you, like the blind among beauty.. Time to scan."
Czar of City Elves.

A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Dakota on January 06, 2012, 05:08:00 PM
the shriveled, elven male speaks to you as he leans back with a lone eyebrow arching up slowly and the wrinkles on his face shifting about while nodding in a sage like manner: "I've seen things you roundears wouldn't believe. Attack witches blurred and afire off the shoulder of Xyrtix'Za. I've watched a Wyvren glitter in the dark atop a towering spire. All those moments will be lost to you, like the blind among beauty.. Time to scan."

Very little circumstance of using hide is based around the avoidance of combat.  Or rather, very little situations in which case someone can see you result in combat, unless you're in one of those random cool situations where you're actually in a bad place you shouldn't be.  But that doesn't happen often, unless you're being careless, and, frankly, asking for someone to scan for you.

Quote from: Wolfsong on January 06, 2012, 05:11:18 PM

+1

Quote from: Armaddict on January 06, 2012, 05:15:51 PM
Quote from: Dakota on January 06, 2012, 05:08:00 PM

Very little circumstance of using hide is based around the avoidance of combat.  Or rather, very little situations in which case someone can see you result in combat, unless you're in one of those random cool situations where you're actually in a bad place you shouldn't be.  But that doesn't happen often, unless you're being careless, and, frankly, asking for someone to scan for you.

Elf Rutger Hauer disagrees with you. Its based on what your PC is, what your PC is like personality wise, has done, is doing and his or her habits. Elf Rutger Hauer and his scan boosting pigeon has all the answers.
Czar of City Elves.

I think scan is fine, but hide is overpowered and invisibility is underpowered. I would think it would be easier to spot someone ducking behind a table than someone who is completely invisible.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Not that this is entirely on topic, but as someone who was master scan in Allanak for awhile I'll say this.

Invisible people would have been better off with city hide if I wanted to find them. Which is weird considering the whole using the very forces of nature to aid your hide attempt against using that fat guy or the good looking woman to distract from your shady self.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on January 06, 2012, 05:41:15 PM
I think scan is fine, but hide is overpowered and invisibility is underpowered. I would think it would be easier to spot someone ducking behind a table than someone who is completely invisible.

I agree here - it's always blown my mind that it's easier to spot an invisible person than a hidden one.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

I disagree personally.

For the most part, hidden people you do not see. Either you are not looking where they are, or they are covered by something.

Invisibility is different. Or I guess it depends on how invisibility works. Is it bending of light? Transluscency? What? Whatever way it is achieved, the person is looking straight 'at' the invisible person. And so it's logical to assume he can see irregularities. Shifting of the air, displacements, strange alteration of sight of things that you see "through" the invisible things. I believe the way it is handled is actually very very fitting.

Hide though, is different. Since it assumes you do not see the person at 'all'. You're not even looking in that direction, or if you are, you are seeing whatever it is that is covering the hider whole.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 06, 2012, 04:41:16 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on January 06, 2012, 04:38:38 PM

Except that presumably you were hiding because your toe-to-toe chances were poor.

Scan is great unless your goal is to kill someone with master hide. :P