Autodisconnect while idle?

Started by Hot_Dancer, December 05, 2011, 10:07:38 PM

I don't remember Arm ever doing this before..

I've been losing connection if I'm idle a substantial amount of time. (I think the game is cutting me out after 10-15 mins of inactivity)

Talk about remembering the old days.

Anyone else experiencing this lately?
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Definitely noticed the same thing (ever since the shift over to the virtual server). It may just be an automatic thing, or you and I might just be crazy and not very observant people.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

My connection times out if I don't do anything for too long. What client are you using?
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

zmud.

I tried a test with mushclient and it did the same.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Hmm. I think it's normal for servers to time out idle connections, but I'm not sure why it would happen now if it wasn't before.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I took a long break from arm before Idle for days and no disconnect now you get disconnected. with zmud, use the tick timer
I use a time of 240 with display tick message turned off the command I use is
%char(13)

where % is the default special character for parameter character

I changed min default parameter character to \ as I tend to use % in arm.

This means no more idle disconnects, but if you walk away might dye from many things, :)

Yeah.. I may use the timer tool again. Just surprised at needing to set it up.

I thought it was just me. I had to add an anti idle event to my client as well. Definitely used to be different

Hot_Dancer, did you recently switch to a new ISP? I've noticed that some ISPs will kill an open connection automatically after some time during which information has not traveled along the connection.

This has the effect that when, say, moving or setting up in a friend's house, you may not be able to idle, whereas before you were. (This has happened several times to me.) However, so far as I am aware, it is not an issue with the game or VPS itself.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I don't think it's the game or the server.  At least, not as a whole, or not consistently.

Idle statistics for three staffers.

Idle
--------------------------
Morgenes        (Morgenes)         [00:14:40]
Tiernan         (Tiernan)          [08:42:02]
Nyr             (Nyr)              [00:00:00]

Morgenes is idle 15 minutes now, still there though.
Tiernan is idle 8 hours + now, still there though.
And I ran the command, so I'm not idle at all.

If either of them had stuff keeping the connection alive by sending a packet to the game, it would "unidle" them.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Actually, what I've noticed--haven't tested, but noticed--is that if I'm on my mortal account the game does disconnect me, but if I'm on my staff account, it doesn't. I don't know why that is. I used to have to be careful not to go idle on my mortal account, with the same client, but I don't have to worry about that on my staff account.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

I have both happen, but I had that happen before these issues.  My home client sucks ass.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I have a timer set up to enter "enter" every six mins.
It doesn't so anything negative like break hide, crafting, etc.
I don't THINK it breaks gone either, but I could be wrong.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 06, 2011, 01:46:36 PM
I have a timer set up to enter "enter" every six mins.
It doesn't so anything negative like break hide, crafting, etc.
I don't THINK it breaks gone either, but I could be wrong.

It doesn't break gone, though entering a command would.

My concern is that y'all are gonna starve/dehydrate to death because you're defeating Morg's idle-protection.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

December 06, 2011, 02:50:55 PM #14 Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:55:13 PM by FantasyWriter
Not if you don't abandon your computer. Idling, waiting on contacts or stamina regen, but checking on the client frequently, you're good to go.
Also, try not to wait until l your PC is risking dehydration or the stomach-heaves of hunger to eat or drink.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Yeah, I haven't added an anti-idle for brytta's reasoning.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

I had this issue once... But it went away. And I don't know why.

When I play from home I don't have this problem. At all.

When I play from other places I have this problem all the time, idling out in less than 5 minutes from time to time. I use the same client with the same configuration.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

This only happens for me on mushclient, which I still prefer regardless.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on January 30, 2012, 08:54:14 AM

What's your solution for this? I've been idling out riding along behind someone and it took me a bit to realize it. Kinda afraid to leave the cities for fear of idling out and getting eaten. I use MUSHClient as well.

Quote from: Armaddict on January 30, 2012, 08:54:14 AM

Same here.  Keeps me from idling too long, which is good.  Even if there's nobody to interact with, I should still be thinking/feeling!
Quote from: ZoltanWhen in doubt, play dangerous, awkward or intense situations to the hilt, every time.

The Official GDB Hate Cycle

I haven't been getting disconnected while idle at all.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

After having this happen to me for some time, then not having it happen, then having it happen again - the conclusion I've come to is that it's certain types of routers and certain types of network configurations that drop your connection after some amount of time. The problem existed behind my Belkin F5D7230 and behind my Linksys WRT54G, but not behind my Cisco Catalyst 3560-12 managed switch.

Read: higher-end hardware doesn't seem to have this issue, but Layer-2 devices do.

Read: some (most?) home routers and hubs seem to have this issue.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → b a

Often times, if I feel I am going to idle for more than 10minutes or so, I will do so with a barrier up, because the "suffer" messages will usually be enough for my router not to drop me (I also am behind a WRT54G(s)).

Else, I am close to looking through my client's source code, and programming in a trigger than sends a single space to the MUD every five minutes as a Keep-Alive.

Set a trigger/timer to go off that just randomly hits look, or something like that. Is how I originally got around the issue.