PC ldesc's ...

Started by musashi, October 22, 2011, 09:12:00 AM

Is it just me or do other people also really wish we could have longer ldesc's, and be able to start them with someone other than our character's sdesc, and put that in later with a @ or something?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Not just you.
I'm less certain about referencing others. What if they leave or hide, or change their ldesc?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Yeah I wouldn't want to be able to reference other people in my PC's ldesc.

But I'd like to have the same amount of flexibility with it that I have when it comes to arranging objects, for example.

Quote from: musashi on October 22, 2011, 09:39:15 AM

But I'd like to have the same amount of flexibility with it that I have when it comes to arranging objects, for example.

Yeah, longer limit and more flexibility.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

youre not the only one.
Czar of City Elves.

October 22, 2011, 11:07:49 AM #5 Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:16:02 AM by Ghaati111
change ldesc %me hair dangling down over the couch, p@ sleeping body swings gently to and fro from the rafters.

>Her hair dangling down over the couch, the bat-winged wrinkled woman's sleeping
body swings gently to and fro from the rafters.

The pronoun you're looking for is ^me, not %me. THE MORE YOU KNOW

Quote from: MeTekillot on October 22, 2011, 03:17:53 PM
The pronoun you're looking for is ^me, not %me. THE MORE YOU KNOW

:having planted &me firmly by the sidelines, @ observes with notable interest as ~metekillot takes %ghaati111 scenario and, with surgical precision, #metekillot proceeds to split hairs with !ghaati111, causing that head of =ghaati111 to explode just as the words "up" and "+metekillot" escape ^ghaati111 lips.

And yes, longer ldescs would be great, as well as more options.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

Agreed.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

I don't know about longer so much as diverse.   I wonder if we've not painted ourselves into a corner a bit by basically limiting ourselves to "man/woman" "female/male"?

Sometimes someone looks like "brute"  or "urchin" or "grubber" or whatever.   Judge a book by its cover.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Being able to move your sdesc around, good idea, Longer...BAD idea.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I gotta agree with X-D on this one.

y?

Because, when you start making things larger, where do you stop?

(personally, I would love to see an extra ten character)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: musashi on October 23, 2011, 12:14:51 PM
y?

I wish we could limit emotes to five words only. It would make us choose our words more carefully. Anything more than five words will inevitably lead to page long emotes. There's no middle ground. If you can't express yourself adequately by pairing your sdesc with one verb and possibly a direct object or adverb, then you're just not a badass writer.

"The brutish dwarf laughs wildly"
"The brutish dwarf pats axe"
"The brutish dwarf says in sirihish, 'you die'"
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on October 23, 2011, 02:09:35 PM
Quote from: musashi on October 23, 2011, 12:14:51 PM
y?

I wish we could limit emotes to five words only. It would make us choose our words more carefully. Anything more than five words will inevitably lead to page long emotes. There's no middle ground. If you can't express yourself adequately by pairing your sdesc with one verb and possibly a direct object or adverb, then you're just not a badass writer.

"The brutish dwarf laughs wildly"
"The brutish dwarf pats axe"
"The brutish dwarf says in sirihish, 'you die'"

Hah, yeah.

The only problem I foresee with putting a larger cap on ldescs is the screen wrap. That and sentences that don't make sense.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

And yes, if you go making it longer, where do you stop, as it stands you can get 2 line ldescs, so, we go to three...four?

It is good length wise now.

In fact, if you could put your sdesc anywhere it would be easier to make it work more often at the current cap.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Personally, I have enough faith in staff that I believe they wouldn't be idiots and slowly make ldescs pages long. But maybe that's just me.

However, their choice not to extend it means that they don't want to, which is also fine by me. I do find the vigorous opposition to adding a word or two to ldescs to be amusing and bemusing, however. The slippery slope fallacy is just ... silly.

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Ok, so it's a personal preference thing. That's cool.

Maybe if we just didn't count the sdesc part of the ldesc as part of the length of the ldesc?

The vast majority of the time I try to use the ldesc function, I'm cutoff due to a few extra characters, and there's not really a way to get the same point across without them. Longer ldescs would be supercool.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Far from fallacy.

I can point you at any number of muds that started with a 60 or 80 char ldesc and have slowly moved up through the years to where now you routinely see 4 line ldescs.

Fact is, No matter how long you make it, somebody will want it longer. So, you must pick a point to stop at. Staff picked that point many years ago, they have stuck with it. One thing I give them kudos for.
Lizzie:

I'm really not feeling the slippery slope spin myself; and even if it were true I don't think that having 3-4 line ldesc's describing what a PC is doing would adversely affect the game in any way.

But to play devil's advocate to myself, here is a concern I thought about while on the train.

If we can put our sdesc in the middle of our ldesc like in an emote, instead of having to have it at the front, would that make it difficult to tell if other characters are in a room when you walk in? As it stands now I think my eyes are trained to immediately scan the tail end of room desc's for "the blah-blah, blah blah'ed blah". If that were hidden somewhere in the middle of an ldesc I wonder if I might not notice a PC in a room.

You say that like it's a bad thing, Musashi.

I think it might be good to start paying more attention to the lovely objects and NPCs in a room, instead of usually dismissing them as non-essential and going in for the PC's attention. It would be good to have to guess whether that breed sitting quietly in a corner of the street is a harmless NPC or a PC about to backstab you. Or whether it's a PC or vNPC sitting on the edge of the table, smoking a pipe. At least, in theory it would be good.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

Quote from: X-D on October 24, 2011, 05:06:16 AM
Far from fallacy.

I can point you at any number of muds that started with a 60 or 80 char ldesc and have slowly moved up through the years to where now you routinely see 4 line ldescs.

Fact is, No matter how long you make it, somebody will want it longer. So, you must pick a point to stop at. Staff picked that point many years ago, they have stuck with it. One thing I give them kudos for.

But the question is; Does anyone like the point in which they chose? It's way too short. A whole line more would put it just right, imo. I'm pretty sure most people in the game feel it is too short, judging by how often this is brought up. I hardly see people in-game using the command anyways.