Analyze and Crafting Failures

Started by Twilight, July 31, 2003, 11:47:23 AM

From my current somewhat limited use of the crafting code, I have noticed that I can't seem to analyze my crafting failures in the same way as I can my crafting successes.

It would seem to me that one should be able to pretty much the same things from a crafting failure as one can a crafting success.  Is this just a code limitation, or intentional leaving out of the analyze code of the failures?  I have, for instance, sometimes seen a crafting failure, and wished to analyze it (rare, but it has happened).
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

A lot of times crafting failures are generic.  You can get 'burned meat' from a dozen different items.  Listing them all would be rather cheap and give away a lot of recipes.  I assume not wanting to give out recipes for things you have never seen is the reason why crafting failures do not show recipes when analyzed.

Heh, but isn't that exactly the point of analyze?  To show you the recipe of something you have never done yourself?  Otherwise, what is the point, to remember something you did?

Although, point taken on the burnt meat.  I had forgotten how many things give that.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Well its a loophole in the code really to do that, based on some limitations... that result in the use of one item as a failure for several things.

I know of very few instances that failure items are given, but in all the ones I can think of, analyzing would not be appropriate.

The largest of course is burnt meat. While some burns have unique burned items, most if not all meat will result in the typical charred mass.
So analyzing it would produce a list of almost all meat items in the game.

Another is kindling. It is produced in alot of cases by the failure of crafting with wood. Now to give a recipe that shows what it is composed of, it might actually tell you how to make kindling in the real way.

I can't really think of any others. I know there are some that don't give you an actual item, but instead just parts of what you failed.

To sum up my opinion, if you just tried to make an arrow shaft from a branch, and ended up getting some kindling, you KNOW what made it, and really have no reason to analyze. That would be like making a ring from a piece of stone, then analyzing it to figure out what its made of... when you just made it from stone. Its trying to find a loophole into the craft system to learn new recipes, in my opinion anyways.

So yeah, enjoy ^_^