Table talk

Started by My 2 sids, July 30, 2003, 11:29:13 AM

Many times I see half-giants, slaves, guards, etc. standing or sitting beside a table.  Normally, if a person is that close to a table they should be able to hear the conversation.  It is one thing for someone to over hear people talking as they pass a table... but if someone is actually beside a table, trying to pay attention, maybe even interacting with the others seated at the table... the person standing should be able to participate in the conversation.

the problem is they have to either use the listen skill or miss out on a conversation they should be able to hear.  Not to mention not being able to speak to only that table.  Its one thing to over hear a conversation as one passes, its quite another if one standing at or beside the people talking.  Now I realize that people can just sit at the table code wise and then simply change their description... but there are problems with doing this as well.  

:idea:  It's my idea then there should be a coded way for people to stand or sit near a table, with out actually sitting on a chair.  This would allow them to use the talk command and hear what is being said at the table.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

sit table
change ldesc stands near the table

edit:    PS....what I don't like....is how certain bars have five....FIVE...seats. .... no biggie though, just seems strange.
Veteran Newbie

Problem is that half-giants can't sit on the chairs at tables and as per the code can't sit at a table.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Personally, I think it'd be better if half-giants or whatever would code-wise sit at the table, then just change their ldesc to something like "is here, kneeling beside a large stone table" or whatever. If some one comes up to you and try to be a dick about it ("Argh, you'd better watch that that chair doesn't bust beneath you, big boy!") then just try and throw out a few EMOTEs to reflect that you're not really -sitting- at the table, but really kneeling beside it or even just standing beside it.

I don't really see the need to get all up in the code with it, personally.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I'm in total agreement with the FiveMonkeys.

I would also like to state that since most people who HG have Karma, they are ~probably~ pretty decent roleplayers, and would ~most likely~ remember to do something like that... the whole change ldesc thing.

Just my 'sid... since I'm too damn broke to donate two.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I think everyone's missing the point...every time I've seen a HG try to sit at a table, the chair has broken...they're just too damn big.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

You don't need to sit on a chair to sit at a table, realistically.  I like this idea of allowing HGs to sit at a table, seems like it would be somewhat easy to implement, if the code is setup to allow all but is currently denying HGs.

I like the idea - alter the code to let HGs sit at a table, by sitting on the floor real close, but don't let them sit on chairs.

Wait... Do the chairs actually, physically, code-wise 'break' when the HG sits?
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"Wait... Do the chairs actually, physically, code-wise 'break' when the HG sits?
You know it's never occured to me to ask that. You could codedly sit on the chair and then RP sitting beside the table. I personally think you should still use the SAY command as I see HGs as being noisy. But that's debateable ;)

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"Wait... Do the chairs actually, physically, code-wise 'break' when the HG sits?

Code-wise or not, it happens realistically. There are no Half-Giant sized chairs that I've ever seen in a tavern, and asking someone with that much weight to sit on a small chair, even if it was, it would still be more uncomfortable than sitting on the floor.  Besides, every extra feet the HG can come down to the table-level, the better it is for discussion, the less noisy he has to be.

Ah. Well, in that case, gfair, I direct you to my original stance on the issue...

QuotePersonally, I think it'd be better if half-giants or whatever would code-wise sit at the table, then just change their ldesc to something like "is here, kneeling beside a large stone table" or whatever. If some one comes up to you and try to be a dick about it ("Argh, you'd better watch that that chair doesn't bust beneath you, big boy!") then just try and throw out a few EMOTEs to reflect that you're not really -sitting- at the table, but really kneeling beside it or even just standing beside it.

I don't really see the need to get all up in the code with it, personally.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Apparently I'm not, so my opinion still stands as it was.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
     "You are likely dead."

I think it would be neat to see half giant sized chairs.  Could take up two "regular" sized chair spots at a table or something.  Or allow half giants to "sit on table" heh.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

This would also allow for more people around any given table.  Many times I've seen people have to move or whatever because there are only so many chairs to go around.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>