Determining characters' playtimes

Started by Samoa, July 22, 2011, 06:06:40 AM

So, sometimes I may not want to log in and do a bunch of stuff -- I may have things I want to do, but I may want to do them later in the (RL) day, or with a friend, or whatever -- and the things I do want to do may require people or specific people... but if people aren't in my clan forum group, how can I determine playtimes? I suppose you could ask OOC, but I try not to use the OOC command, um... ever. At all. For any reason. Similarly, what if it's someone you're looking for, but haven't met? If you're in the Assamite clan, and there's a contract out for Lord Fontleroy, but nobody knows "when in the week" he logs in... how do you find this out?

I ask this because I find myself often just UP, without the energy to really do a whole bunch in game, but it'd be easy enough to log in, try to contact a couple people, and see what comes of it. And if they're not there, just.. log back out. Or stop in during a little break between chores at home, or whatever else -- but is this bad? On one hand, I'm looking at it and I can't see anything wrong with it. The logic seems reasonable and sound, and it doesn't even suggest anything against the rules, but... on the other? I don't know. I find myself.. uncomfortable with this as an idea, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Something just seems.. wrong about it.

So I thought I'd ask you guys. What do you think about this as a method, or what are some methods you use that work well for you?
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Dude, I'd just use the OOC command and ask them what time is good to catch them online.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Totally agree with Mushy. That's one of the things the OOC command is for. Obviously if you don't know the person you're trying to find, you can't use OOC to tell them you want some RP time with them. But for characters you do know, it's a no-brainer.

tell elf (spittle flying through her clenched teeth) And YOU - I'll deal with you later, fekkin skinny sharp-eared freak.
ooc How's 6est? That's 3 hours from now.
OOCly, the skinny, sharp-eared freak oocs, "otay panky."
The skinny, sharp-eared freak says to you in sharpear-accented cavilish, while picking some of your cousin's pinky bone from between his teeth, "Cain't wait, sass. Be hungry agin by then."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: musashi on July 22, 2011, 06:13:18 AM
Dude, I'd just use the OOC command and ask them what time is good to catch them online.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Yeah, just asking a single question OOC is different than chatting it up.  You should be okay.

Did you say Assamite?  Isn't that from WoD?  :P

One of the very few good reasons to use OOC:  to clarify misunderstandings, and schedule events.  Try to wait for a lull in events, so you're not breaking the scene for someone else (or even yourself).

Don't listen to the japanese guy... seriously.  He's just trying to bomb you.

No, the best way to figure out what someone's playtimes are are obviously to follow them to their apartment, stay online for 24 hours as you watch them come and go, and write down all of those times in your diary next to fifteen pictures of what you believe the character to look like.

Duh.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on July 22, 2011, 04:31:15 PM
Don't listen to the japanese guy... seriously.  He's just trying to bomb you.

No, the best way to figure out what someone's playtimes are are obviously to follow them to their apartment, stay online for 24 hours as you watch them come and go, and write down all of those times in your diary next to fifteen pictures of what you believe the character to look like.

Duh.

If people actually did that, I wouldn't really mind so much when they clear out my entire apartment.

On the other hand, I've been known to chill at the gates at dawn and wait to see who was leaving for the day.  ;)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

a few times people have tried to OOC a conversation with me and i'd just ignore it... then i would feel bad since they're always saying nice and/or relevant things. i don't think i've OOCed in a really long time actually. even for times when it seems very useful, i don't use it unless its really necessary. for me, its one of the few perks of being unimportant.

in an area of low population (Red Storm, Pah) are the only areas that i tended to notice when people i saw a few times logged out earlier than me, stayed on longer, etc. etc. so when interesting things start happening (someone comes out of the 'gicker closet, etc.) is when i try to match my times to vulture off their rp  ;D

you might get lucky and get in with people who don't seem to need to sleep, too; log in during PM hours on the right side of the shield wall, and you'll meet.

Quote from: Samoa on July 22, 2011, 06:06:40 AM
I ask this because I find myself often just UP, without the energy to really do a whole bunch in game, but it'd be easy enough to log in, try to contact a couple people, and see what comes of it. And if they're not there, just.. log back out. Or stop in during a little break between chores at home, or whatever else -- but is this bad? On one hand, I'm looking at it and I can't see anything wrong with it. The logic seems reasonable and sound, and it doesn't even suggest anything against the rules, but... on the other? I don't know. I find myself.. uncomfortable with this as an idea, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Something just seems.. wrong about it.

So I thought I'd ask you guys. What do you think about this as a method, or what are some methods you use that work well for you?

I consider my almost complete lack of OOC to be an art. and taking breaks to be quite healthy, especially when its late at night and no one else is in the Gaj. maybe I'm just soulless, i don't know. use the gone command?
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I find some people accomplish this by using the terminology of "this day / Early / Late next week", and remember, each day is 90 RL minutes; so in "two days" is 3 hours.

But yeah, just use OOC because it's faster and simpler and there's no confusion.

I pop in and check most times. I hate using the OOC command. Hate.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Nana on July 25, 2011, 07:24:51 PM
I find some people accomplish this by using the terminology of "this day / Early / Late next week", and remember, each day is 90 RL minutes; so in "two days" is 3 hours.

But yeah, just use OOC because it's faster and simpler and there's no confusion.

I use this ... only when I know that the player of the other character I am talking to, knows WTF I am talking about.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I ask them their phone number OOCly then I call them every hours or so, begging them to come play with me.

Quote from: Kaiden on July 25, 2011, 07:58:28 PM
I ask them their phone number OOCly then I call them every hours or so, begging them to come play with me.

Hey baby, it's 867-5309.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on July 25, 2011, 07:59:05 PM

Hey baby, it's 867-5309.
Is it bad that I'm very tempted to call that and have a conversation with whoever's in my area code with that number?

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on July 25, 2011, 08:08:12 PM

Hey baby, it's 867-5309.
Is it bad that I'm very tempted to call that and have a conversation with whoever's in my area code with that number?

Ask for Jenny.

Quote from: Sokotra on July 25, 2011, 09:14:19 PM
Quote from: bcw81 on July 25, 2011, 08:08:12 PM

Hey baby, it's 867-5309.

Ask for Jenny.

Lol
Quote from: Mooney on April 01, 2011, 04:16:28 PM
The worldly burden of defecation is something I go online to escape.

Quote from: musashi on July 25, 2011, 07:34:19 PM
Quote from: Nana on July 25, 2011, 07:24:51 PM

I use this ... only when I know that the player of the other character I am talking to, knows WTF I am talking about.

Or use both!

You say, in sirihish, "I got some busy work I gotta take care of. I'll be free again two days from now."
You say, OOC: "9 PM EST. Can you make that?"

There's two issues with that, though:

a) You might not be in the same room as the person you're trying to coordinate playtimes with, or maybe you've spent weeks trying to catch that person online and never have! Of course you can ask staff for help, but I always feel a little bad about doing that, especially when it's not super important.

b) You are in the same room, but so are several uninvolved PCs. You might not want -everyone- to know your playtimes.

It would be kind of neat if there was an option to set playtimes that other players can look up (voluntarily, if you want to). Maybe it could even be restricted to be viewed by certain clans and people only. Or if you could set a notification to let people know about the next day and time that you're going to be on an 8 hour playing streak. I believe this would help advance plots so much, inability to find people online is the #1 plot killer.