Armageddon's Rape Policy

Started by Barzalene, July 16, 2011, 09:33:35 AM

July 16, 2011, 09:33:35 AM Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:51:48 AM by Barzalene
Everyone should be aware of the following. If someone wants to torture, or kill your pc, you do not have an ooc choice. Your pc will be harmed. You can opt not to act out the  torture. You can fade to black. This is a valid choice. if you do not want to read the details of said torture, you do not have to consent.
However, the torture still happens to your pc.

Hold on, I'm getting to the point. Here is the point:

Rape is the exception. You do not have to consent to acting it out, further you do not have to consent to have it happen.

Why do I mention this? Two reasons:
1. We are socialized to be agreeable and polite. We are socialized to say yes.
2. There is a prevalent "Arm is HARSH" sentiment. This is good. It means we don't play crybabies and huggers. It means that both male and female pcs can be strong capable people. We can be heros. We can be dirtbags. We all man up.
So, when someone  asks for consent for rape there MAY be a feeling of pressure to consent even when the player finds the event oocly disturbing.  (Yes, a lot of the young men and women who play her are stronger and smarter than the average bear. A very small few are also less empathetic. Some of you may not relate or may not believe that the phenomenon exists. Take my word for it. Or hell, research it.)

You can say no. If you oocly do not want to play a rape victim you should say no. If anyone has any issue with that let them kiss your ass.

This is not a condemnation of people who want to accept the fact of a rape for a pc. It isn't a condemnation of rape in game. Rather, it's a reminder that the rape of your pc is completely ic. You as the player are not a victim as you are the one with the power. You decide if this thing has happened, and deciding it hasn't happened is completely valid.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Okay
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

I suppose this ties in with "Ignorance is bliss".
I'm GMT+8, 12 hours ahead of EST.

You should probably copy and paste the rules related to what you mentioned. I think you glossed over something related to torture that may maim someone.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Alright. But I think both in Arm and real life people are far more likely to be raped because of social norms which players have internalized than to be maimed or tortured. And while there may be a factual glitch in my statement of the rules, one that I have no issue with having corrected, I don't think it changes my point.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Rape's not cool. I play to have fun and rape scenes are not enjoyment, to me.

I've never, once, stopped and thought to myself while playing, "Hey - you want to know what would be totally fun? If I raped this PC I'm about to kill."

That's a boundary I'm not interested in crossing - or having crossed by others.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Be smart ... kill first, rape the corpse object.

... I am joking of course. Unless we're talking about tregils.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/general/rules.html
Apart from the requirement that people roleplay realistically here, there are few restrictions on roleplay in Armageddon. If you choose to roleplay adult situations, that is fine. However, before instigating such an act with another player, please OOC to make sure that the roleplay is consented to. If someone is instigating roleplay that makes you (the player) uncomfortable, please OOC that they should stop. If they continue despite being told to stop, please wish up. This rule is not meant to be abused in order to allow characters to escape death/torture/etc., but is intended for adult situations, such as torture or rape, which some players and staff may not wish to witness. If you act out a graphic sequence without first obtaining the other player's consent, and the player then complains within a reasonable amount of time (so that the runlogs can be checked and the complaint verified), you will be permanently banned.

Specifically in the case of roleplaying through a rape, the instigator takes on added responsibility. In this case, the instigator absolutely must OOCly ask for and must obtain explicit consent from the victim's player prior to involving their character in any emote specifically indicative of the act of rape, no matter how non-graphical you believe it to be.

Here's the consent rules as I am aware of them. I don't see anything about maiming as a special case, though...

I believe the rule is that any PC who is going to be irreparably maimed (losing hands, legs, etc.) can choose death instead.

I'm not sure where it's listed though.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on July 16, 2011, 11:48:32 AM
I believe the rule is that any PC who is going to be irreparably maimed (losing hands, legs, etc.) can choose death instead.

I'm not sure where it's listed though.
help consent
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Quote from: Yoman on July 16, 2011, 10:21:36 AM
I suppose this ties in with "Ignorance is bliss".

Claiming ignorance of policy doesn't prevent whatever consequences may come from breaking the policy. Laws in the real world work this way, too; just because you don't know the speeding limit doesn't mean you won't get a ticket. It is each player's responsibility to proactively make him/herself aware of the rules.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

I guess I see what you're talking about Barz.  I've personally never RPed a rape scene over the decade plus that I've been roleplaying, but I could see where such a thing could be powerful and provocative, so long as I knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that it would not violate the psyche of the other player.

That being said, there is one thing that always concerned me about rape and consent.  A person who is in the position to rape someone is likely to also be in a position to kill someone.  I always wondered if, when consent was denied, people just killed the PC, instead.  When they fully intended to let them live, before.  That seems mildly disturbing, and I'm hoping it doesn't go on.

Quote from: Barzalene on July 16, 2011, 11:17:25 AM
I think both in Arm and real life people are far more likely to be raped because of social norms which players have internalized than to be maimed or tortured.

Just bringing out what I believe is the main point in the thread, again. Especially for female players this is true; women are socialized to acquiesce to sexual situations (and though rape is an expression of violence, it is a sexually-flavored expression of violence). It can be very difficult to say no when one has been socialized to say yes. In the case of maiming or torture, or male on male rape, I'd venture to guess that the majority of us are not socialized in any way to see those things as acceptable, so saying no (to a graphic scene, or to male on male rape) is easier.

In short: If you don't want your PC to be raped, it's totally OK to say no, and please do. No one (who matters) will think less of you for not giving consent.
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Kismetic on July 16, 2011, 12:32:15 PM
I always wondered if, when consent was denied, people just killed the PC, instead.  When they fully intended to let them live, before.  That seems mildly disturbing, and I'm hoping it doesn't go on.

I'm pretty sure that happens, which I guess would be a somewhat realistic way to play a PC if your character was really like that.  I think it is a pretty stupid way to play the game, myself, but whatever.  I just think that if I play characters that don't want to be involved in sexual stuff, whether it be rape or something else then I think it is pretty lame that my PC would get killed because I don't like to play sexual characters.  To me that is stupid.  I think we have started to cross the line a little on this stuff over the years.  Having the game be for "mature" players is fine, but it gets a little dumb and obnoxious at some point when you keep going beyond the PG-13 type of atmosphere and you start to annoy half the playerbase or make things unsuitable for minors or young adults.  It's not up to me, however.  It's up to everyone.  Just my two 'sid, take it or leave it.

Where does it say that, if you say 'No' to the ooc consent.  That the action still doesn't happen, just in a 'Fade to Black'... ... You don't actually have to emote the scene to rp the after-effects and rping the character as having -been- raped/done the raping.

Quote from: CravenMadness on July 16, 2011, 12:54:30 PM
Where does it say that, if you say 'No' to the ooc consent.  That the action still doesn't happen, just in a 'Fade to Black'...

help consent: "If you wish to pursue a rape plotline or engage in an act of rape, you must seek consent from your target. Without that consent, the plotline may NOT be pursued."

It says it right there.

Ah... Well that's rather silly.  Probably what leads to would-be rapists just killing the person.  Sure, you should be able to not have to act out and describe the activity.  But it -does- happen and has happened to your character in that situation.  Kind of just saying .. 'I've gotten myself into this situation, but I don't like it so no.. It's not happened try again.' ... In which case... Kill victim.

July 16, 2011, 01:45:32 PM #17 Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:49:20 PM by Pills
Quote from: CravenMadness on July 16, 2011, 01:42:24 PM
Ah... Well that's rather silly.  Probably what leads to would-be rapists just killing the person.  Sure, you should be able to not have to act out and describe the activity.  But it -does- happen and has happened to your character in that situation.  Kind of just saying .. 'I've gotten myself into this situation, but I don't like it so no.. It's not happened try again.' ... In which case... Kill victim.

No, it's not silly at all. People should not be forced to have their characters raped what the fuck is wrong with you tatertrughruhgufdhgudfhgjiajsdigjdg.

I, a [presumably] white male, think y'all softies should just MAN up. This is ARMAGEDDON. It's HARSH. Who cares if the subject of rape could, y'know, bring up feelings and memories that would make playing a game uncomfortable at best!?!?

Personally, I don't think there's a place for rape in Armageddon, and I really have to question the motives of people who feel compelled to play rapists.

Rape makes sense in Armageddon, but its still a very "as it comes" basis. I mean, playing a rapist, that just rapes every female/male they come across is just like playing a psycho that kills everyone. Its not very flashy, and its doomed to be looked back on as "Eh, that person was boring."

Now, if you're in a straight up relationship, and your mate gets the promotion, and you don't, maybe you rape them to establish dominance. That I could see. A lot of the stuff I -do- see? Eh.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Pills on July 16, 2011, 01:47:21 PM
Personally, I don't think there's a place for rape in Armageddon, and I really have to question the motives of people who feel compelled to play rapists.

Rape isn't cool. But thinking less or questioning the motives of someone who plays a character who rapes isn't cool either.

consent
Jk I don't even rp sex
I stay out of those situations Fade please
I'd totally fade a rape though
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

It's extraordinarily unlikely that I would ever play a PC who would commit rape.  I shan't question the roleplaying chops of those who choose otherwise.

If someone (other than Magickal) wants to rape my PC, chances are good that I'd consent at least to the plotline.  I shan't question the roleplaying chops of those who choose otherwise.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: CravenMadness on July 16, 2011, 01:42:24 PM
Ah... Well that's rather silly.  Probably what leads to would-be rapists just killing the person.  Sure, you should be able to not have to act out and describe the activity.  But it -does- happen and has happened to your character in that situation.  Kind of just saying .. 'I've gotten myself into this situation, but I don't like it so no.. It's not happened try again.' ... In which case... Kill victim.

Presumably the person who refuses to give consent is aware that one of the would-be rapists options is probably just to kill them.  It's likely also safe to presume that they're more okay with that than with having to roleplay the consequences of a rape, or else they would not choose to NOT give the rapist consent.

Whether or not you think it's silly, it is the rule.  And I for one think it's a good rule.  I would personally rather have a would-be rapist end up having to deal with not being able to pursue that particular plotline with that particular nonconsenting PC, than potentially have a player quit the game because they don't even want to have to think about even maybe having to deal with having that sort of situation forced upon them.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.