Subdue during combat

Started by Chettaman, June 22, 2011, 10:20:35 PM

Quote from: Sephiroto on July 01, 2011, 10:35:18 AM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 01, 2011, 09:18:54 AM
It'd just make the strong stronger, and the weak weaker if it were just popped it.

While true, I feel like that's a disingenuous statement.

Eh... I wouldn't say it's so disingenuous.

Classes that don't have parry get pwned hard enough by classes with parry as it is.

Well, the parry helpfile /does/ say that it knocks the person off-balance when they get parried. I don't see why them getting a quick shot to the gut while they're off-balance would unbalance combat.

That already happens, essentially. If you're good enough.

Quote from: Delirium on July 01, 2011, 03:59:23 PM
That already happens, essentially. If you're good enough.

Not really.  You get a bonus to your next hit (or maybe the other person gets a negative to dodge), not a free opportunity to attack altogether.

Sure, you could roleplay it that way, but it's not like emotes really happen in combat when it matters anyway.

July 01, 2011, 04:37:25 PM #29 Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:15:35 AM by Kismetic
Dangit, RGS  :)

That's some juicy code knowledge right there that I'd previously not known. Yummy

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 03, 2011, 03:33:53 AM
That's some juicy code knowledge right there that I'd previously not known. Yummy

QuoteSkill Parry    (Combat)

This automatic skill is invoked whenever your character is in combat. All blows which are about to land on you are checked against a complicated system of relationships, including the parry skill. A successful parry nullifies all damage and causes your opponent to be 'off balance.'

I don't know how else that could be interpreted. Not sure if you're being genuine about having not known that or if it's a sarcastic "oh don't talk about code" remark.

Edit:
Oh, if you were talking about Kismetic's post (Before he edited it), then nevermind :P
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I don't think that phrase means what you all think it means.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I honestly can't remember what Kismetic even said now. Gah. But yeah, that's phrase insinuates it happens every time you parry. Not just with "master parry" or anything. But I honestly have no idea what it means.

You can figure out what it means if you pay close enough attention.  It becomes fairly apparent when there's lots of parrying going on.

However, it is an undeniable fault of human observation that what happens is always the first thing on the cognitive agenda, as opposed to what doesn't happen.

I was only illustrating that you -can- parry and get a free shot at someone.  There's a few ways, if you have the goods.  As for a legit, riposte style attack of opportunity ...  Do we really need that?

I edited my post, so as not to be misconstrued as "such and such is the way to do X skill."

No such claim!

P.s.  Subdue during combat seems OP, by and far.  Is this thread still necessary?

Actually, now that I think about it-- it wouldn't really be game-breakingly OP, at least the way I understand it....

You try to subdue, you drop your weapons....

You drop your weapons in the middle of a fight, you're fucked.

And yeaaaah, sure, half-giants, but unless you're fighting a half-giant right next to a huge fucking pit of doom, then you're okay.

If you're the one getting subdued, think of it this way.... At least they're not wailing on you with something big and sharp anymore, you're just trapped and can't move.

Don't wanna get subdued while fighting two or three other people?

Well, then don't fight two or three people at a time.

Hell, if anything, a change like this would knock all those maxxed out warriors with a chip on their shoulder down a peg or two.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 04, 2011, 07:54:43 AM
Hell, if anything, a change like this would knock all those maxxed out warriors with a chip on their shoulder down a peg or two.

Lol, no it won't ...  have you ever played a maxed out warrior?  It will make them worse.

Anyway, there's an easy way to subdue someone in combat, and it involves dropping your weapons, ironically.

Well, you see, the game sort of needs maxed out warriors, and if every one could be easily taken out by a newb group of assassin or burglar subclass guards, there wouldn't be any.

Why do you think they got rid of subdue;backstab?  It can easily be justified as grabbing someone and slitting their throat, but when you have noob dorf assassin/guards murdering people with ease...you have to put the kibosh on it, or it becomes a gameplay issue.