Subdue during combat

Started by Chettaman, June 22, 2011, 10:20:35 PM

Ha! I remembered what I was thinking about now!

I don't know if master subduers can subdue during combat, but it just makes sense to me how someone could totally just tackle you during a fight. Objections?
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Overpowered. :P
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Yeah, we seriously don't need to give newbs another reason to roll dwarves.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

The idea of tackling is kinda covered by bash, and a tackle/subdue maneuver sort of reminds me of a bear hug... the exact thing a master subduer probably wouldn't attempt on an armed opponent, especially one armed with a blade of some sort.

Bash along with disarm, that is probably enough.

I don't really wanna but...

>bash
>disengage
>subdue

Just about covers it.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on June 22, 2011, 11:54:14 PM
I don't really wanna but...

>bash
>disengage
>subdue

Just about covers it.

Unfortunately, not entirely. A reel, with a disengage might, but otherwise you have to trust the other player disengages too.

Sadly, combat subdue is definitely not something that I could see being useful.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

June 23, 2011, 12:46:23 AM #7 Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:51:05 AM by Chettaman
It couldn't be too over powered. Because if during combat, you decide to attempt subduing your opponent you automatically drop any weapon you may be holding. And if you decided to continue fighting while subduing your opponent then you would automatically let go of the person and not only would you be weaponless, but they would still have any weapon they were holding when they were subdued. You would have to draw new weapons or stop to pick up any weapon you dropped.

if someone bashed me, the first thing I would do is stand while trying to emote frantically. If someone disarmed me while I was sitting, I would quickly type take weapon - yes, I would be open for an attack but soon I would be back on my feet with a weapon in my hand and resume fighting.

Useful? This may never happen but...
>look west - to the west is over the edge
he hits you hard on the neck
>subdue guy
you subdue the guy.
(maybe role play)
>throw man west

Useful? You could use it to simply -force- your opponent to stop instead of hoping they disengage along with you. Maybe get some roleplay in.

Or would a master subduer just be crazy/skilled/confident enough to do that to an armed opponent?
Live like God.
Love like God.

I would be more worried about the whole "Ok you attack him and I'll spam subdue until I get him then you keep stabbing him while he can't move" situation than I would about any 1 individual.

It's the potentional for group abuse that would erk me more.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

in that case: a failure at subdue would result in your team mate attacking you instead - as if you stopped to pick up a weapon. Also the chance at subduing an opponent someone else is fighting would be greater. You know it sounds cool. :)
Live like God.
Love like God.

No, it doesn't sound awesome, at all.

It might make sense that you can tackle someone and have your buddy stab them until they die...but in the context of gameplay mechanics, we tend to restrict things that can kill you in PvP, lest the game become a turd-stab-turd world.

Ultimate submission machines are karma-restricted.  Sap, backstab, and archery have to be trained.  The poisons without readily-available cures are difficult to find and/or expensive.  Most combat skills go up painfully slowly compared to non-combat skills.  Mages with insta-gank capabilities are karma restricted, or the spells in question are far along the skill tree.  Etc. etc.

Giving every newbie dwarf the functional equivalent of a paralysis spell is not going to make the game more interesting.  Subdue is bad enough as it is, it doesn't need to get worse.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 23, 2011, 04:39:10 PM

I agree.  There doesn't need to be more easy ways to incapacitate someone than there already is, especially without karma restrictions.

Until there's a counterattack feature built in where a defender (single person) locked in combat with a single PC/NPC can attempt to counter attacks from any number of additional attackers, I'd say no.  There should definitely be drawbacks from attempting to subdue a person already engaged in combat.  The current code does not allow for any defense besides dodge and parry, when in actuality a deterring attack or counter would definitely come into play.

And if you're going at it 1 v 1 armed and want to subdue your opponent in combat you're probably just as well off swinging your weapons because if you'd be skilled enough to grab the person without being obliterated then you can probably also smash their faces in.

Unless all you wanted to do was subdue them. And not kill them. Or have them run away - so you could say something.

But I understand. When it comes to the context of gameplay mechanics, sure.
Live like God.
Love like God.

Can't you Dise, Subdue Malik.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Synthesis on June 23, 2011, 04:39:10 PM

Gonna have to agree with this one.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on June 23, 2011, 11:16:31 PM

I think they have to disengage too, but I could be wrong.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 23, 2011, 11:46:21 PM
Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on June 23, 2011, 11:16:31 PM

I think they have to disengage too, but I could be wrong.

You're not, and thats what gives it a problem. Unless you're playing with someone that feels a disengage is a "Okay, we're going to stop codedly fighting for a moment, and emote out some more of the scene" but usually "<sdesc> stops attacking you!" is grounds for "flee self;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;n;enter cave;quit"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

But you're too excited to leave just yet!  :D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

You need to pick more cotton, my friend.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I don't see this as being a worthwhile addition, sorry. In case of multiple opponents it would be overpowered too.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: Sephiroto on June 23, 2011, 04:44:24 PM
Until there's a counterattack feature built in where a defender (single person) locked in combat with a single PC/NPC can attempt to counter attacks from any number of additional attackers, I'd say no.  There should definitely be drawbacks from attempting to subdue a person already engaged in combat.  The current code does not allow for any defense besides dodge and parry, when in actuality a deterring attack or counter would definitely come into play.

And if you're going at it 1 v 1 armed and want to subdue your opponent in combat you're probably just as well off swinging your weapons because if you'd be skilled enough to grab the person without being obliterated then you can probably also smash their faces in.

This makes me wish there was a 'counter' skill that branched from parry that would make it so you'd have a chance of landing a counter-attack on an opponent upon successful parry if you don't have nosave combat turned on.

Quote from: MeTekillot on July 01, 2011, 07:47:50 AM

This makes me wish there was a 'counter' skill that branched from parry that would make it so you'd have a chance of landing a counter-attack on an opponent upon successful parry if you don't have nosave combat turned on.

Yeah.  There was once a time when I was going to suggest this for the Jihaen Templar class, but they're already ninjas, so I didn't.

Counterattacks would be great.  Gang bonus is bad enough.  A counter skill would certainly make combat more dynamic and real.

Quote from: Sephiroto on July 01, 2011, 08:06:30 AM
Quote from: MeTekillot on July 01, 2011, 07:47:50 AM

Yeah.  There was once a time when I was going to suggest this for the Jihaen Templar class, but they're already ninjas, so I didn't.

Counterattacks would be great.  Gang bonus is bad enough.  A counter skill would certainly make combat more dynamic and real.

True, but methinks that would cause need for a combat system overhaul entirely.

It'd just make the strong stronger, and the weak weaker if it were just popped it.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 01, 2011, 09:18:54 AM
It'd just make the strong stronger, and the weak weaker if it were just popped it.

While true, I feel like that's a disingenuous statement.  The parry 'bug' was fixed a long time ago and it affected lots of people in many ways.  I do agree with you that that this sort of addition is certainly not the type of code change I'd expect to see in 1.Arm.  I would assume it would require a hefty amount of code acrobatics to make it work.