OOC Information (No this is a different conversation, really)

Started by Barzalene, June 09, 2011, 07:43:27 PM

Some people just get off on griefing.

Years ago, (before online games were the norm), one of my cousins liked to challenge people to games of RiskTM. He wasn't a bad player, so long as he was winning, but as soon as the tide turned against him, he would amass a single army using all his resources, then proceed to cut weaving lines through other players' territory. He would only leave a single army to occupy any territory he took, and wouldn't stop until he had exhausted his troops. At the end of his turn, he would forfeit and walk away, leaving the other players with an hour's worth of cleanup if they even wanted to continue playing. As far as he was concerned, he had just won, because he had fun at the expense of every one else.

Years later, I tried to introduce him to Eve, but realized my mistake as soon as he started asking questions about anonymous spamming.

Some people just get off on griefing.
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

People do this RL too, not just in games.  People love to shit up everything when they aren't on top.  That's a pretty realistic aspect.  Look up crab mentality, for this well documented phenomenon.

I think, "People just love to grief" is a loser's mentality...a rationalization for when things just happen not to go your way.  Your character's story isn't any more important than any other character's story, and if their story happens to involve fucking your shit all up, really...who are you to complain about it?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Erisine on June 15, 2011, 05:00:42 PM
k man

This is what happens when you type that

You kiss the bearded, slope-browed man.

The bearded, slope-browed man says in sirihish, sounding incredulous:
     "Th' fuck ya doin' fella!?"

The bearded, slope-browed man attacks you!
The bearded, slope-browed man slashes you in the head, dealing frightening damage!

Unless you alias "k" in your client to "kill". Which, then, you're just being a jerk.

I love the idea of 'fucking someone up'. Though I do hate that most would just rather playerkill instead.

In my oppinion, it's not that some players are griefers. It's just that some players are lazy. They would rather bump x character out of the story completely than have to cope with them.

I guess this has been said more or less already.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 17, 2011, 12:17:37 AM
I think, "People just love to grief" is a loser's mentality...a rationalization for when things just happen not to go your way.  Your character's story isn't any more important than any other character's story, and if their story happens to involve fucking your shit all up, really...who are you to complain about it?

There's a big difference between it being in character for them to go fuck someone else's shit up and doing it purely because out of character, then enjoy it. I have absolutely no problem with it being done for in character reasons, not at all. It's the people who are doing it for purely out of character reasons that irk me. For example, people who make it an out of character goal to kill a long lived character purely to kill a long lived character. Another example, people who make it an out of character goal to destroy a player created clan for their own personal pleasure/hatred of a player whose character is involved/wanting to wipe out the clan so the characters will go join coded clans,etc.

In character caused and created struggle, strife, competition, and conflict is fine. Contriving reasons to make it look in character when it is purely out of character motivated, is griefing.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis