What are your reasons?

Started by mattrious, May 28, 2011, 12:53:28 PM

May 28, 2011, 12:53:28 PM Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:22:27 PM by mattrious
In the interest of not derailing a thread I thought I would go ahead and start a new discussion in regards to the reasons people play Armageddun MUD. I also want to give everyone a gentle reminder that while Armageddon is a role-playing game, that is not the reason everyone plays.

I remember a few years ago everyone was real big into proclaiming what their 'Gaming Percentage' was via the Bartle Test.

People had signatures declaring that they were Explorers, Socializers or even Killers. I'm not going to cast any stones and say that any single person is playing this game for the wrong reasons and they need to fix it. I just want to make sure everyone understands that while our PCs might be mindless-drones that have to deal with us walking them off the shield wall, the players behind those PCs are not. Everyone is playing for their own reasons, regardless if they realize it or not.

So let's not sit here and bash each other because one person is looking at the coded aspect of the game more than the other. I hate to break it to you guys but if the staff did not want the code to be an integral part of the game - they would of made Armageddon a MUSH. Please don't confuse me with someone who is championing a power-gaming / twinking cause. Because, I'm certainly not. I just want to remind everyone that people play this game for a variety of different reasons and try to keep that in mind when interacting with them on the forums.

EDIT:

Oh and on a side-note: KESA!!!

It's fun.

But maybe it's my english but I'm trying to figure out what the point of the past two paragraphs were.
Czar of City Elves.

I'm all for twinking up my skills; I'll even call it twinking.  My characters don't live long enough for me to actively enjoy the grind up from zero, and yet, it's nice to be able to code-wise do /something/ to supplement and support an RPed role.

That said, I don't understand wtf the OP is complaining about.  I don't see any great movement on the GDB against the use and training of coded skills.

May 28, 2011, 02:33:22 PM #3 Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:36:36 PM by NOFUN
The main reason I play armageddon mud over all the others is because of how rare OOC communication is, compared to the others which have chat channels where you regularly see people OOCLY circle-jerking and discussing IG events.   After playing new worlds I appreciate how valuable OOC silence is.

I also love how dedicated the staff is, in some games I've played over the past you'd be expected to do something exceptional before getting something custom made because it was time consuming for the staff, I remember there was one game where you'd be asked for a IRL donation for a description change. And the brutality, oh I love it. I love how a player's character isn't an unstoppable god that can pwn an entire city, even with maxxed out skills. I love how the nobility system is enforced, where a commoner cannot talk to a noble as an equal unlike some of the other games I've played.

On the other side of the coin, I strongly dislike the PC level caps, where as on some of the other games I've seen a player could play as royalty and start a war if he/she really wanted too. Was certainly more interesting then tek and utep who rarely do anything.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

It helps my English because it's a second language for me (Russian is my first).   Also, it helps me to creatively write better.  Lastly, it's FUN!!!

These are my main reasons why I play.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

When I did play, I enjoyed the complete immersion of the game.  I liked discovering the "secrets" that everyone tries to discover.  I say liked/did because I don't play any more, I'm just a GDB addict now (it's one of the stages of Arm addiction recovery).

Quote from: Dakota on May 28, 2011, 01:44:45 PM
It's fun.

But maybe it's my english but I'm trying to figure out what the point of the past two paragraphs were.

As stated in that first sentence. I created this thread so I would not derail another. If you're having issues comprehending the english language then I would a suggest possibly picking up Rosetta Stone. I hear that shit is amazing.

Quote from: number13 on May 28, 2011, 01:46:55 PM
I'm all for twinking up my skills; I'll even call it twinking.  My characters don't live long enough for me to actively enjoy the grind up from zero, and yet, it's nice to be able to code-wise do /something/ to supplement and support an RPed role.

That said, I don't understand wtf the OP is complaining about.  I don't see any great movement on the GDB against the use and training of coded skills.

I did not realize my post came across as a complaint? I'm just simply stating people need to quit bitching, moaning, and giving people a hard time on the GDB because they have a problem with the way someone is playing the game.

I love roleplay and I love your average console rpg. I love gaming. I twink skills, I don't do so in an unrealistically, game-breaking, immersion-slashing fashion but I do rarely log in and do nothing skill related. This game is a great mix of roleplay and skills. I play for both. It's fun.

My biggest reason for playing is some of the great writers we have and the wonderful adrenaline rushes you get in certain occasions.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: mattrious on May 28, 2011, 12:53:28 PM
In the interest of not derailing a thread I thought I would go ahead and start a new discussion in regards to the reasons people play Armageddun MUD.

I'm curious what thread you're trying to avoid derailing, as this will provide reference for the rest of us. Could you maybe provide a link or talk more about what inspired this thread?

Quote from: mattrious on May 28, 2011, 03:46:23 PM
Quote from: number13 on May 28, 2011, 01:46:55 PM
I'm all for twinking up my skills; I'll even call it twinking.  My characters don't live long enough for me to actively enjoy the grind up from zero, and yet, it's nice to be able to code-wise do /something/ to supplement and support an RPed role.

That said, I don't understand wtf the OP is complaining about.  I don't see any great movement on the GDB against the use and training of coded skills.

I did not realize my post came across as a complaint? I'm just simply stating people need to quit bitching, moaning, and giving people a hard time on the GDB because they have a problem with the way someone is playing the game.

I think what's being said is that he's not sure why you're suddenly stating people need to stop giving others a hard time about things, because he hasn't noticed any particular difference on the GDB lately. He's not sure what you're reacting to.

QuoteI remember a few years ago everyone was real big into proclaiming what their 'Gaming Percentage' was via the Bartle Test.

People had signatures declaring that they were Explorers, Socializers or even Killers. I'm not going to cast any stones and say that any single person is playing this game for the wrong reasons and they need to fix it. I just want to make sure everyone understands that while our PCs might be mindless-drones that have to deal with us walking them off the shield wall, the players behind those PCs are not. Everyone is playing for their own reasons, regardless if they realize it or not.

Links are your friend! For those of you that were curious like I was, this is the Bartle Test.

Also, I wanted to say that while you probably didn't mean it this way, I don't think of my PC as a mindless drone. You're trying more to say, I think, that without the player the PC is nothing, but it came across more to me as saying that PCs are flat and "unreal". This is something that is a bit of a writer thing. Sometimes writers insist that without them, their characters are nothing. Others feel as if their characters are so real, they're just there to bring that reality to life. My PCs tend to feel very, very real to me. I feel as if I could meet and converse with my PCs, because the good ones tend to be as real and complex as actual people.

Quote from: mattrious on May 28, 2011, 12:53:28 PMSo let's not sit here and bash each other because one person is looking at the coded aspect of the game more than the other. I hate to break it to you guys but if the staff did not want the code to be an integral part of the game - they would of made Armageddon a MUSH. Please don't confuse me with someone who is championing a power-gaming / twinking cause. Because, I'm certainly not. I just want to remind everyone that people play this game for a variety of different reasons and try to keep that in mind when interacting with them on the forums.

I think that the proper tool for complaint tends to be the player complaint option. However, I also know that this can seem a bit overmuch at times. Sometimes it doesn't seem worth it to do a full player complaint. At other times, the PC you think is being poorly RPed is one that your character is at odds with, and thus it's awkward to make a player complaint. There's no real way to provide "mild criticism" to players. These can be worked into kudos, sometimes, but there's no specific option for constructive criticism on role-play. Sadly, this sort of thing can lead to angry and frustrated GDB posts that don't really help anyone. At times our frustrations with the game can lead us to assume the worst about our fellow players. I don't think it's bad to offer everyone a reminder to relax a little, but I can see where the frustration is coming from, and I'm not immune to it either.

Code is an important part of the game. However, I think it's easy to rely too much on code. Relying too much on role-play doesn't really hurt anyone (though it can make for some really weird emote battles over, say, vNPCs), but if someone relies too much on code, it can hurt people. It's really frustrating when you spend X amount of time on a PC, working on role-playing them out fully, and also working to advance their skills, and someone who has been around 1/3 of X is able to completely own them, because they had a far more skill oriented approach. Now, that approach can be completely warranted, and it can definitely just be a different of player experience (player #2 might simply know how to better use the code to advance further, but be doing the same amount of role-play), but it can still lead to a lot of frustration on the part of player #1. I think there can be a tendency for people in the position of player #1 to then have frustrations, which they may bring to the GDB, about their experience.

Generally, the GDB tends to go in cycles, as the famous GDB Hate Cycle shows. There may be a trend lately to push back against people who use lots of code. However, before you know it the GDB will have moved on to something else. The GDB can be a great community tool, and we discuss a lot of great things on it, but it also gets a lot of complaints on it. I don't think that will ever really change, but it is, as always, a case of "be the change you want to see". If enough people commit to not complaining, then it will happen. That's not to say, however, that people shouldn't bring up things that they think are an issue. It's a very fine line to walk.

I think this is a long post, and I'm only sort of on topic.

Why do I play Armageddon?

I play Armageddon because it allows me to write, but write in a way that allows for interaction with others, and in a way that contributes to a world. I play Armageddon because it inspires my other writing. I play it because it's gritty, it's harsh, it's a fully fleshed out world that is real. I play because I like seeing where my PCs will go, and I like watching them develop and interact with others. I like that the characters I have here seem real; that they're real enough I will sometimes cry when they die. I play for the moments where you tell yourself "one more hour" and when you look at the clock again it's 7 AM. I play because I enjoy both the freedom of role-play, and the strong sense of reality that is imposed by code. I play because this is the most enjoyable game I've ever encountered, even though it can be incredibly frustrating at times.

Also, it's crackageddon. What choice do I have?  ;)
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Because my life is so pathetic that pretending to be other people is an excellent and entertaining form of escapism.

Like some of you, I'm an escapism junkie, and usually MUDs offer you a chance to "be" or "do" things you are unable to "do" or "be" in RL.
What kind of jerkoff shakes a tent in the dark? Go out there and see who or what that is.

Since my first Star Wars 2nd Edition d6 in 1992, I've been hooked on roleplaying, building game worlds and making these experiences enjoyable for others.  It's been one of my constant hobbies, even if I get burned out and put it down for months at a time.  

I first discovered MUDing about 12 years ago, when I was playing DnD with buddies in high school.  A completely unrelated friend turned me on to a weed dealer (I didn't start smoking pot until I was 18), and me and this guy happened to get on the topic of fantasy, and it turned out -he- was also into DnD, and had, in fact, six years earlier at the same high school, had a similar group going on.  Then, when what started as a simple "sample, pay and go," became a lengthy discussion about roleplay, and pointed with, "Have you ever heard of MUDing?"  

I'd already been RPing online in chat rooms, so the concept was vaguely familiar to me, but I -loved- how you could basically quickly and efficiently detail the events of a tabletop session from the comfort of your home.  I played a DnD MUD, WoT MUD, and even a pay-to-play called DragonRealms.  I actually logged on Armageddon back then, but thought it was empty because no one had names, ahaha!

An old girlfriend turned me back onto Armageddon, and I'll admit that although I liked many things about it, especially permadeath, the world itself was too foreign to me (DarkSun was not one of the campaigns we played, unfortunately).  I kept coming back, though, and to date, I've honestly never found another MUD to rival it, and that is based on playerbase, staff, code and realm.  Kudos to all.

Cheers.

Quote from: Taven on May 28, 2011, 04:38:06 PM

I'm curious what thread you're trying to avoid derailing, as this will provide reference for the rest of us. Could you maybe provide a link or talk more about what inspired this thread?

Well, in general I was stating a personal observation that I've noticed in the various Armageddon discussion forums. Code, Ask The Players, GDB, and so on. Though, the last thread that I was looking over here in the general discussion area was this:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,41331.0.html

I'll reference the interaction between MEtekkillot and Cindy42 - which in turn was eventually squashed by Nyr. Though, my post was not specific to that actual thread - that is just an example of what I'm speaking on.

As you assisted me with the GDB Hate Cycle - it kind of indicates our fellow players bickering amongst each other for one reason or another. I think when people understand that there are numerous reasons and motives people are playing Armageddon for, that there will be less bickering amongst the player base:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,31255.msg558782.html#msg558782

Quote from: Taven on May 28, 2011, 04:38:06 PM
Links are your friend! For those of you that were curious like I was, this is the Bartle Test.

Also, I wanted to say that while you probably didn't mean it this way, I don't think of my PC as a mindless drone. You're trying more to say, I think, that without the player the PC is nothing, but it came across more to me as saying that PCs are flat and "unreal". This is something that is a bit of a writer thing. Sometimes writers insist that without them, their characters are nothing. Others feel as if their characters are so real, they're just there to bring that reality to life. My PCs tend to feel very, very real to me. I feel as if I could meet and converse with my PCs, because the good ones tend to be as real and complex as actual people.

I'm just simply trying to remind people that everyone plays for different reasons. While you might not think your PCs are mindless drones. I take on the belief that they are really nothing until I help bring them to life. While, I'm sure it helps with your role-playing to assume that they are real people that you're merely sliding into and taking over that feels a bit more abrupt to myself. It is easier for me to get into character when I think that my PCs are really nothing until the man behind the curtain begins to pull the strings.

I'm not really going to touch on the rest of your post as it does veer a little bit off the original topic. Again, I am not complaining nor am I trying to scold anyone in particular. I think it can never hurt to be reminded that not everyone does not take the same approach to a game as you.

It's fun.

If you're having issues comprehending the english language then I would a suggest possibly picking up Rosetta Stone. I hear that shit is amazing.

No need to be a putz.

I'm just simply stating people need to quit bitching, moaning, and giving people a hard time on the GDB because they have a problem with the way someone is playing the game.

This was all that was needed.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Dakota on May 28, 2011, 05:32:01 PM
It's fun.

If you're having issues comprehending the english language then I would a suggest possibly picking up Rosetta Stone. I hear that shit is amazing.

No need to be a putz.

I'm just simply stating people need to quit bitching, moaning, and giving people a hard time on the GDB because they have a problem with the way someone is playing the game.

This was all that was needed.

No need for name calling.

Though, would you not admit that your original statement was a bit abrasive? I felt like it was pretty obvious the message I was attempting to convery.

I simply looked at your profile and noticed that your current location is: Prague, Czech Republic. So, I just assumed you were Czech and English was not your first language. That is why I suggested Rosetta Stone. Just trying to be helpful to someone who might have trouble understanding the English language. I hear it's a tough one to grapple.

May 28, 2011, 05:57:53 PM #15 Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:02:34 AM by chrisdcoulombe
I must like swift deaths. :'(

No seriously, the role play is awesome.  I enjoy that when you fail it can cost you your life.  I like how you can do anything and although some things are restricted they can be handled with good role play.  I love the tension you feel when in a dangerous situation.  I enjoy the fact that you can build ig relationships with other pcs and accomplish large tasks by working together.  I like how everyone stays in character .  

I never played another mud before a couple years ago.  I have tried other muds and there is a lot of OOC chatter in many of them.  I played d&d as a kid and a few others like shadow run, star wars and oh yeah Call of Cthulu.  Arm is like that except instead of 4 or 5 people sitting around the table 40 or 50 people are sitting around the table.

Once I got hooked I haven't wanted to stop.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

QuoteThough, would you not admit that your original statement was a bit abrasive?

Actually, I think you're the only one in this thread being abrasive, and I'm still not sure why.

Whatever.

Why do I play? To swag on muthah fuckas.

I love developing my character emotionally and mentally. I've become more open-minded, more close-minded, and stayed the same before. The trick is living long enough for such a transformation to take place. This tops exploring for me. see as follows:

Reasons to play:
1. rping
2. character development
3. exploring

Dealing with the dangers of off-peak:
1. Hiding and watching people (if I am capable)
2. Code skilling (for as long as it doesn't bore me out of my mind)
3. Walking around aimlessly

I just saw my name in this thread, in reference to something that got squashed by staff. Is it serious? I'm sorry if I did something bad, and if someone was hating I don't remember and don't care. who cares about someone that walks up to them and starts berating on them for using the word grey instead of gray when they were referring to something red, especially when it happens every third time you post on the GDB? Just stay cool, and the world will follow you like you're a sexy lamp.

Come to rpts! :D
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on May 28, 2011, 08:28:31 PM
I just saw my name in this thread, in reference to something that got squashed by staff. Is it serious? I'm sorry if I did something bad, and if someone was hating I don't remember and don't care. who cares about someone that walks up to them and starts berating on them for using the word grey instead of gray when they were referring to something red, especially when it happens every third time you post on the GDB? Just stay cool, and the world will follow you like you're a sexy lamp.

There's a link to the thread that he's referring to in his post. In that thread you made a comment:

Quote from: Cindy42 on May 20, 2011, 07:35:11 AM
for merchant types, I imagine being a half-elf looking human gives somewhat better wisdom and they don't need to get worried over not being able to be hired. Kind of not much motivation to create a full-blooded human, especially if your character doesn't need to know they're not halfy.

This caused some people to make some comments that caused Nyr to post:

Quote from: Nyr on May 23, 2011, 03:10:14 PM
"don't pick on players on the GDB."

Sorry for the slight derail, everyone. Please continue.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Cindy42 on May 28, 2011, 08:28:31 PM
... and the world will follow you like you're a sexy lamp.

As a coiner of phrases, I'm digging this one.

/derail

Fast paced, nitty gritty, less OOC bullshit than in other games, or at least, I've stayed away from it and haven't seen it.

Yep.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: mattrious on May 28, 2011, 05:39:24 PM

Though, would you not admit that your original statement was a bit abrasive? I felt like it was pretty obvious the message I was attempting to convery.

I didn't find it abrasive, s/he was confused by your wording is all.  Relax bro, s/he wasn't out to pick on you or be a dick.  I found your 'lol get Rosetta Stone' comment to be far more abrasive. (I don't want to derail or start a fight, just pointing out that it's likely perception on your end, rather than him/her attempting to pick a fight.)

As for why I play Armageddon.

1. It's the only RPI with actual coded consequences for messing up that I am aware of, that isn't based on Tolkein.  I MUSH as well, and the Rp tends to be a bit deeper there (NOT that this place lacks deep Rp, but there is more of a focus on it on a MUSH, in my opinion, due to the lack of coded grinds,) but this game is faster paced, and a fight to the death takes 5 minutes, not 5 hours, allowing for quicker resolution.

2. The politics here can be insanely fun, when you have people who also enjoy playing that game.  But, they kinda suck if nobody else is into it.

Quote from: Majikal on May 28, 2011, 03:55:36 PM
I love roleplay and I love your average console rpg. I love gaming. I twink skills, I don't do so in an unrealistically, game-breaking, immersion-slashing fashion but I do rarely log in and do nothing skill related. This game is a great mix of roleplay and skills. I play for both. It's fun.

My biggest reason for playing is some of the great writers we have and the wonderful adrenaline rushes you get in certain occasions.

+1

I play for the exact same reasons Majikal does. Although I'd toss in a bit of GDB addiction too. I like chatting on the forums just as much as I like playing.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I enjoy the RPing, I like how the coded nature allows some things to remains out of the player's control just to keep things feeling 'real', I like the quality of the other players, and I like the dedication of the staff to making it even more fun.

Oh, I also like how everything isn't known by everyone, and how the world is so freakin' huge and dangerous.

I dislike permadeath when it happens (don't we all?) but think in the end it is what keeps the game fun. Able to start fresh, with the slate wiped clean. Got to make new friends, don't have to worry about old enemies, and find a new way to survive in the game world.

Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: musashi on May 29, 2011, 04:44:56 AM
Quote from: Majikal on May 28, 2011, 03:55:36 PM

+1

I play for the exact same reasons Majikal does. Although I'd toss in a bit of GDB addiction too. I like chatting on the forums just as much as I like playing.

... I play to give you guys somebody to kill ^^

Actually I play because I got sick of the Tolkien and futuristic MUDs and decided I'd just stick with this one because it's the only good one I could find (and believe me, I looked quite hard.)

All of you guys. Even the ones who frustrate me. Maybe even especially the ones who frustrate me.

It's hard for me to take any mud without permadeath as a serious place to roleplay, because death is one of the most pivotal ways to drastically touch many lives with the simplest effort. Not to mention dying over and over makes it no worse than breaking a leg.

Not to mention for all the sekritz, changes, and interesting stories.
NOFUN:
Random Armageddon.thoughts: fuck dwarves, fuck magickers, fuck f-me's, fuck city elves and nerf everything I don't use
Maxid:
My position is unassailable.
Gunnerblaster:
My breeds discriminate against other breeds.

That's how hardcore I am.

Quote from: maxid on May 29, 2011, 01:19:09 AM
Quote from: mattrious on May 28, 2011, 05:39:24 PM

I didn't find it abrasive, s/he was confused by your wording is all.  Relax bro, s/he wasn't out to pick on you or be a dick.  I found your 'lol get Rosetta Stone' comment to be far more abrasive. (I don't want to derail or start a fight, just pointing out that it's likely perception on your end, rather than him/her attempting to pick a fight.)

This. And she ;)

Another reason for playing Arm though.. and I'll use the other MUD I used to play before Arm as an example..

Is I love Perma-Death.

Save from the drive from staff and players to actually push for great RP, to me it helps motive you to go all out w/ your RP. B/C its the only way you'll be remembered / can make a difference (it seems). Also the GAP between the SUPER POWERFUL and the DAY 00, HOUR 01, Pc's isn't that great compared to the other MUD I've played and other MUDS I know of.

Dragonrealms (15 bucks a month to play which should be a redflag already) has hardly -any- roleplay despite a paid (sort of) staff that is supposed to set up events / festivals / plots, etc. Everything is soooo subpar compared to Arm. The Roleplay is shoddy b/c if you want to get to CLOSE to the top of the mountain in terms of skills / power / etc, you need to SCRIPT (not play.. but script) for about 2 years. And do it everyday and AFK script and simply ignore any RP chances. You'll run into a room with 3 PC's only to find out they're all played by the same player and all scripting so they can -all- train @ the same time. RP will be minimal and a disaster. And the saddest part is, this isn't a rare situation for Dragonrealms. Also while their is Perma-Death there, the only way it can happen is if you -want- it to happen.. It's a mess.

Coming from that to Arm was like night and day. Arm was way harder to learn but everyone has been a huge help to beat the curve on how to play and -everything- about it is leagues better.

Restating my first post, it is simply f*ing fun.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Dakota on May 29, 2011, 09:44:32 AM
it is simply f*ing fun.

This.

I'm so busy with work right now, that all I can do in game is idle *coughandtwinkafewskillscough*.

And I still log in.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I play Arm because I'm asocial and either clinically depressed, or at least damn close to it.

Arm fills the social interaction I don't get in daily life, and I derive a lot of fun by "MST3King" while playing Arm. That is, making fun of things that are going on, and the people around me.

I also play because, sometimes, someone telling you "Hey that thing you did a year ago? One of the coolest things I've seen someone do." feels great. Kudos are awesome, no matter how you get them, and everyone likes to know they do something well.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

May 30, 2011, 02:08:40 PM #30 Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 02:13:32 PM by Akoto
Well, at first, I played because there were a great many similarities to a certain D&D setting. I also enjoyed the role-play, as well as the many character concepts available. Sanvean was kind enough to allow me a Vivaduan as an early character, and I fell in love with magick and the game as a while. Enforced role-play is huge, as is permanent death, depressing though it sometimes may be.

As the years went on, I acquired a physical disability and have since become mostly bedridden. As a result, Arm is more than a game for me at this point. It's a positive in my life, which is important when one lives mostly in serious pain. The opportunity to escape and have some freedom (if in fantasy) is a cherished thing. It's also nice in that I feel as though I can still contribute to something, if only through interesting characters and stories.

Quote from: Akoto on May 30, 2011, 02:08:40 PM
As the years went on, I acquired a physical disability and have since become mostly bedridden. As a result, Arm is more than a game for me at this point. It's a positive in my life, which is important when one lives mostly in serious pain. The opportunity to escape and have some freedom (if in fantasy) is a cherished thing. It's also nice in that I feel as though I can still contribute to something, if only through interesting characters and stories.

This is makes me smile. Glad Arm can go beyond simply being fun :)
Czar of City Elves.

I can't be awesome in real life because of poverty and ill health and the Man. So I play.

I'm addicted to making up stories. I've read fantasy books since kindergarten after all.

I also like the creative challenge this game presents, and the sociological experiments it provides.

I play because my friends pressured me into it..now Im hooked!
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

As far as  video games go, it's pretty fun.

Thanks, Taven.

This game made me read Dune. I love this game so damn much

I wanted to try a text game with other people, mushed and mudded around a few times and found this gem. I didn't even really know what a MUD was until I searched.

If a game makes a treasured character dying fun, its a damn good game.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

whisper self (stroking his chin as he ponders to himself) What is my reason for playing..?
tell audience (rising from his reverie) I play because of the raw ability to customize.
tell audience (adjusting his seat as the crackling fire within ~fireplace behind himself sets a comfortable theme) You can do just about anything you can think of. In fact, your imagination is the only limit to your ability.
emote frowns as the dirty, disheveled sharp-ear crosses in front of the camera, pulling one eyelid down as he spits a raspberry towards ~audience
emote In comedic fashion, @ sighs, then raises his hand, uttering a few sharp words as a great ball of energy coalesces in his hand and flies towards ~generic.elf
tell audience (As ~elf sizzles in the flame of the fireplace) Ahh, where was I? Oh yes. The storytelling, both in content and delivery, is exceptionally unique, especially when you consider ~generic.wow.clone and ~generic.fps

ooc Mind if I ftb the rest of the conversation?

EDIT: Also, thanks to Mansa for suggesting I read Dune ;)
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

For years before I started playing this game I have always wanted to play pretend with other people, especially something like The Crucible or Hamlet or something, something awesome and serious. Kind of came to the conclusion that no one wanted to play pretend except for me until I found out what this game is about.
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Sometimes my life sucks, but never this much...makes me feel better.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Once you learn the ropes, I like the familiarity. I like other players who go out of their way to make the RP fun and involving. It doesn't always happen but when it does it's amazing and it's not something I can engage in anywhere else.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: Riev on May 29, 2011, 03:13:11 PM
I play Arm because I'm asocial and either clinically depressed, or at least damn close to it.

Arm fills the social interaction I don't get in daily life, and I derive a lot of fun by "MST3King" while playing Arm. That is, making fun of things that are going on, and the people around me.

I also play because, sometimes, someone telling you "Hey that thing you did a year ago? One of the coolest things I've seen someone do." feels great. Kudos are awesome, no matter how you get them, and everyone likes to know they do something well.
Quote from: jstorrie on May 30, 2011, 05:03:03 PM
I can't be awesome in real life because of poverty and ill health and the Man. So I play.

^ those two reasons are big factors.

I also play because I love the secrets this game has. A lot of characters take secrets to the grave, and I love unearthing them and finding out things that no one else knows. It's a morbid fascination that keeps me awake at night. I also like to play because I have a huge interest in magick, and I feel like the Armageddon magick system is extremely realistic and a lot deeper, philosophically, than people realize.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

So I got the reverse problem from many of you.  I am so unbelievably awesome in real life, and I cannot escape that.  If I were an Arm character my stats would be absolutely incredible in every category, my sdesc would be "the ridiculously attractive, charming man", and no wait... I would not only be a mindbender but I am so awesome I would somehow be one as a mul, so I'd really be "the ridiculously attractive, charming mul"  I also would be able to control my rage.

Anyways, long story short this is the only place where I can really be a scum sucking, decrepit, homeless, alley wandering lowlife.  That is why I play.

Quote from: Ktavialt on June 14, 2011, 02:14:14 PM
Anyways, long story short this is the only place where I can really be a scum sucking, decrepit, homeless, alley wandering lowlife.  That is why I play.

I think I love this.

I play because I like making characters, finding out what they think, how they move, and for those random bits of awesomeness that periodically fall from their mouths at just the right moment.  I can't find a plot in paper bag without someone cutting a hole in it first for me, I find combat training as interesting as watching carniverous paint dry, and I've never left civilization without the company of a Jihaen templar or Tor Warlord.   For me, it's about getting inside people's heads and turning the text room descriptions they inhabit into three dimensional, sentimental places.  And I love that Arm lets me do this in such a way that when I roll a Tuluki in Allanak, it actually means something.
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

Quote from: Rairen on June 14, 2011, 02:56:53 PM
Quote from: Ktavialt on June 14, 2011, 02:14:14 PM

I think I love this.

I play because I like making characters, finding out what they think, how they move, and for those random bits of awesomeness that periodically fall from their mouths at just the right moment.  I can't find a plot in paper bag without someone cutting a hole in it first for me, I find combat training as interesting as watching carniverous paint dry, and I've never left civilization without the company of a Jihaen templar or Tor Warlord.   For me, it's about getting inside people's heads and turning the text room descriptions they inhabit into three dimensional, sentimental places.  And I love that Arm lets me do this in such a way that when I roll a Tuluki in Allanak, it actually means something.

First. I miss you.

Second, the last couple posts are amazing. Being able to play lowlife curs, -and- being that player that gets inside your head. I don't think we have many people like Rairen who, I can attest, have this special ability to make ANYONE'S RP greater by a factor of five just by being around.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

The Bartle Test is IMO quite worthless because it's a model quite evidently designed for Hack 'n' Slashes more so than roleplaying intensive (RPI) games.

I've seen a different model which divided RPI players into simulationists, storytellers and explorers (if I recall correctly) and I think that's more accurate. Many RPI enthusiasts would fall into these three broad categories, though I'd add one more category: socialiser - a person who plays for the interaction, or to see their character grow, characterisation, etc. etc.

I myself would have fallen mostly into the simulationist category when I first discovered Arm (what first made me obsessed with the game all those years ago was the idea of a living world to explore... believe it or not, as boring as it sounds... I wanted to play a game where I could just play a normal person going about their daily struggle.) Perhaps I'd also fall a tiny bit into the storyteller category, too, although not wide-sweeping plots mind you; I love any plot rich in conflict and struggle though. Those adrenalin-pounding moments when your character's life is in danger is a plus. Definitely an adrenalin-junkie here. And then, of course, there was the chance to play someone who I wasn't - I loved playing thugs, thieves and cut-throat mercenaries back in the days. Lifestyles I'd never pursue in real life, nor want to, but which fascinated me none-the-less.

Anyway, those were reasons I initially played. To be honest I've been stuck in a rut of burn-out for the past few years - not just with Armageddon, but it seems, with RPIs in general. I guess it's inevitable, that people get over things. I do really miss those wide-eyed newbie days though, when I was so excited about Armageddon that all day my thoughts were on getting home so I could jump onto the computer and immerse myself into a fictional world, but I've given up on re-evoking them. For some strange reason though, I kept getting drawn back into the game, a long time after I first decided I was 'burnt out' on RPIs. In fact, even to this day, when I no longer play I feel myself drawn to these forums, just browsing threads and indulging myself in nostalgia. I remember back in the day when a certain immortal coined the term 'Crackageddon' - that dude wasn't kidding. Even after I've officially decided to take a break from the game till 2.Arm, I feel like this game is an itch I just can't scratch any more.

I don't know why I feel so philosophical and nostalgic tonight. Feel free to ignore my ramblings. I kind of went off-topic there.

Sheer boredom....and someone asked me to join.  ;D
"Knowledge becomes evil if the aim be not virtuous." -Plato

"To chop motha'-fucka's up with bone swords."
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

i got curious, anaiah.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

The Balance, environment and players. I like the absence of XP and levels. I Love that you have to train your skills individually. The Roleplay is actually existent in contrast to say, an Iron Realms game. I Like how the players actually play their characters, the oppurtunity to roleplay, and that our Twinks are still 10X more the roleplayer than say any average mud player. I like the choices you can make. For example Iron Realms which I admit to playing before I found armageddon. The warrior classes their where all the same, you -had- to fight with two weapons which I think where swords to be effective and you died to stupid shit like Rats and rabbits and sparrows like a 1 hour warrior here would die to a bahamet. I like how if I want my warrior to run around in fur greaves and a loincloth with a heavy stone spoon and go kill things he actually can. It may be looked down upon IC but I like the choice. And even though it's still terrible. The excellent writers and rpers in this game have helped me to improve on my own spelling, grammar and story-telling ability.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

And Allanak :)
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

I love to pretend.

When I first started MUDing, I was on an /old school/ Diku MUD, but then I swapped over to a small playerbased SMAUG MUD when they were still in fashion; Realms of Despair is the most popular SMAUG MUD still in fashion, as far as I know.

While it was most hack'n'slash, I was given my first "quest," ever, by the staff on this MUD -- because my 12 year old self amused them no doubt, somehow.  Then, I fell in love with roleplaying, and then was further cementing by finding Eternal Struggle.

Eternal Struggle was also SMAUG-based, but roleplay was enforced.  I LOVED the roleplaying aspect of it all, and eventually one of my fellow players told me about a REAL roleplaying MUD:

Armageddon.

That was in 1999, and I've been here ever since.

Because I love to pretend.

I've taken the test before.  I am, hands down, a roleplayer and an explorer, primarily.  I love the secrecy and the seeming vastness of Zalanthas.  This has lead me to create more than my fair share of whirans and desert elves.

To a lesser extent, I do enjoy Dark Sun and played it as a tabletop game.  Although this game has come a long way in its evolution from Dark Sun, it still has a very different-than-Earth feel that, to me, is an unholy marriage between John Carter of Mars, Dune, Dark Sun and Conan.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

I'd like to add that several times, after particular characters or experiences, I've felt like the 'vastness' of Zalanthas is just falsy percieved.  Each time, that has been shattered almost immediately.  It's frickin huge, deep, and awesome.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I simply love fantasy and the old-style, no gun type of gameplay. I love the ancient history and this sort of reminds me of it. I am very social IRL and have plenty to do, but I still love Arm just because it allows me to sort of create my own story, like a never-ending book I'm interacting in.

That and I've met a lot of great people through Arm and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Reason #87: Armageddon is the only RPI where I can play a beardless female dwarf.

I can be in dangerous situations without being in any real danger. :)

I can feel sick to my stomach and then recover and think "it really wasn't as bad as I made it out to be."

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

It allows me to die in curious and fantastic ways.

Seriously though, I've been playing MUD's for a while, since I was 14ish. I started off on some net based ones, hack'n'slash style, and eventually stumbled across Iron Realms entertainment at 15, and joined Lusternia.
I played that until a fellow player on there mentioned Arm in an OOC chat, and I thought I should give it a go. I have no idea who that player was, but thank yoooooo!

I don't think I've ever randomly stumbled across something better than this.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Kol on September 24, 2011, 11:50:19 PM

Seriously though, I've been playing MUD's for a while, since I was 14ish. I started off on some net based ones, hack'n'slash style, and eventually stumbled across Iron Realms entertainment at 15, and joined Lusternia.
I played that until a fellow player on there mentioned Arm in an OOC chat, and I thought I should give it a go. I have no idea who that player was, but thank yoooooo!

I've stumbled across things that "sound" better at first... then just don't measure up.

From another thread but fits in well...

Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 25, 2011, 08:45:32 PM
One of the reasons I have a high death rate is my idea of the game.
To me it is still a brutal fantasy game that is really kick-ass fun to play, all the more so when you are playing on the edge of your seat.
Whether that be from playing a raider/warrior going after someone whom he has no idea of their abilities before hand, a magicker, hiding, running from and/or retaliating form witch hunters, or a merchant who is out to own his own chunk of the known, and will do anything and everything to get it.

If you don't experience murder, corruption, and/or betrayal at least once a RL week, you're doing it wrong. If your the cause of the murder, corruption, and/or betrayal, kudos to you and good luck on your next character app!

I play for the moments that can end in death... i pray that they don't. (at least not for me ;))
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 25, 2011, 08:51:00 PM
From another thread but fits in well...

Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 25, 2011, 08:45:32 PM
One of the reasons I have a high death rate is my idea of the game.
To me it is still a brutal fantasy game that is really kick-ass fun to play, all the more so when you are playing on the edge of your seat.
Whether that be from playing a raider/warrior going after someone whom he has no idea of their abilities before hand, a magicker, hiding, running from and/or retaliating form witch hunters, or a merchant who is out to own his own chunk of the known, and will do anything and everything to get it.

If you don't experience murder, corruption, and/or betrayal at least once a RL week, you're doing it wrong. If your the cause of the murder, corruption, and/or betrayal, kudos to you and good luck on your next character app!

I play for the moments that can end in death... i pray that they don't. (at least not for me ;))

And yet it still happens... guess I just can't stop loving death, huh?

I don't play. I read. I read the text that falls down my screen like it's a neverending story. Only difference between a book and Armageddon is that you have a choice to influence this story. Don't like how Salarr and Kadius are clashing? Do something about it. Want to experience an awesome war between city-states? Make it happen.

It can only get better if Falcor flies out.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

I love politics. But it is extreamily hard to find a good political game. And its really hard to have a dynamic poliical game if you can just respawn from your assasination.

Add into it eventually after playing a long lived political PC I might want a break from it, and do some fighting or Crafting.

Arm gives a robust enviroment for both of those, as well as thieving, which you really don't get alot of in other games. Krath, I LOVE thieves.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I suddenly want to play another politicer. sigh
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: WarriorPoet on February 27, 2009, 09:50:06 AMI play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: WarriorPoet on October 12, 2011, 05:13:00 PM
Quote from: WarriorPoet on February 27, 2009, 09:50:06 AMI play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.

PLAGIARISM!!! PLAGIARISM!!!!
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Its strong enough for a man...but ph balanced for a woman.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Malifaxis on October 12, 2011, 05:15:15 PM
Quote from: WarriorPoet on October 12, 2011, 05:13:00 PM

PLAGIARISM!!! PLAGIARISM!!!!
Actually he gave credit where it's due so it isn't plagiarism at all.

I play because I get to do all the terrible things in game that my conscience and morals don't allow me to do in real life

December 13, 2011, 07:26:11 AM #69 Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:17:27 PM by Cind
because i can't walk up to random strangers holding costumes and one-sheet scripts and ask if they want to play out scenes from Shakespeare.

^%$ing conformity.

EDIT: weird typo.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Because I get to be a creepy cabbage on the GDB and be thought of as clinically insane while performing some very vile things in game and being thought of as a monster.

I love me some cabbage.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

You are so odd. :P
Quote from: Agameth
Goat porn is not prohibited in the Highlord's city.

Character development.   

I'm a Dickens fan.   Sorry.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on December 14, 2011, 07:16:26 AM
Character development.   

I'm a Dickens fan.   Sorry.

dickens is pretty freaking brutal. i love his books and they seem to be great inspiration for a landscape filled with poverty and desperation.

I play this game because I am well-adjusted, good looking, and make a decent living.

In Arm, I can pretend to be none of these things.  8)
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I play this game because I'm a weak, ugly, nobody loser and can grief other people endlessly on things they care for and put tons of time into.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 16, 2011, 03:17:46 AM
I play this game because I'm a weak, ugly, nobody loser and can grief other people endlessly on things they care for and put tons of time into.

I know who you play now!

Quote from: Fathi on December 16, 2011, 12:21:43 AM
I play this game because I am well-adjusted, good looking, and make a decent living.

In Arm, I can pretend to be none of these things.  8)
I play this game because I am a macho, good looking man with a good sense of humor and can pretend to be a pretty pretty princess here.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on December 18, 2011, 07:50:34 PM
I play this game because I am a macho, good looking man with a good sense of humor and can pretend to be a pretty pretty princess here.

Friday, have you EVER actually played a pretty princess?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

It is the fact alone that I can step out of the rat race and step into a world where I can play anytype of personality I want and the interection is in my opion incredible.
also Id like to mention that this is also one of the most realistic games;so far as staying alive. its the only mud Ive stuck with and will stay with it throught my time.
It was once told to me by and old Imm.. in servival its not that your more powerful then your enemies, just that you out live them. -wink-

Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 19, 2011, 10:57:09 AM

Yes.

Two favorite female role archetypes:
1.) Psychotic, grizzled bitch.
2.) Energetic teenage girl going through a lot of "really important", difficult personal issues that leads to gossiping and lots of drama.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on December 19, 2011, 10:44:47 PM
Yes.

2.) Energetic teenage girl going through a lot of "really important", difficult personal issues that leads to gossiping and lots of drama.

Solike...I forgot about #2.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 19, 2011, 11:47:08 PM
Yes.

Solike...I forgot about #2.
Believe it or not I'm playing a mostly-nice PC currently.

I play so I can have anime-sized bewbs, duh.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Yes.

I'd like to mention here and IsFriday and I are, in fact, different people. You may not think so when you meet our PCs. But really. We are.

Usually when one of us is Teen Girl Achiever, the other is playing Scarface McBloodbath.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

To be an artsy douche. Man, I won't even go into detail, but I think I may over-think this game when I'm actually playing it.  ::)
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Being people who are and do the unthinkable really is fun when done here. Having realistic long-term reactions to what they have done is not frightening at all. Oh I don't want to go to sleep now.

Because escapism leads to ignorance and the illusion of bliss.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Kol on January 03, 2012, 03:53:39 PM
Because escapism leads to ignorance and the illusion of bliss.
I fully plan on ignoring this election year. Arm will help with that.  ;D

Quote from: Kol on September 24, 2011, 11:50:19 PM

Was is Diamante, the choke-master king?
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

I started in Harshlands at 13. Then Forever's End. Then when I turned 17 Arm became open to AOL emails
and I jumped in.

I had always wanted to get deeply into pen-and-paper RPG's but could never find a group or would
end up elected as a bad/short term DM. I found RPI's instead and they're a very capable substitute.

Console/graphical/PC games just don't offer the type of character/story development you can get in an
RPI.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on February 09, 2012, 09:57:30 PM
I had always wanted to get deeply into pen-and-paper RPG's but could never find a group or would
end up elected as a bad/short term DM. I found RPI's instead and they're a very capable substitute.

Console/graphical/PC games just don't offer the type of character/story development you can get in an
RPI.

This.  I used to have a decent gaming group of close friends but we've all moved to different areas.  That and I was inevitably stuck being the DM which I hated.  I had tried a few different RP MUDs before Arm but the Dark Sun theme made me keep trying until I figured it out.  Jhunter and a few others in Salarr years and years ago were very patient with my n00bness.

Kuraci raptor nuggets. Chicken nuggets, but with Arm velociraptor meat instead of chicken? Yes, epic.