Falling

Started by Mazy, April 23, 2011, 04:14:48 AM

It would be awesome if other characters or NPCs had a small chance to land on people below them when they fall.
Quote from: Return of the King (1980)
It's so easy not to try,
Let the world go drifting by--
If you never say, "Hello,"
You won't have to say, "Good Bye."

Me likey.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I'll only support this if you could try to direct where to fall. E.g.

> throw self gith s
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on April 23, 2011, 06:32:28 AM
I'll only support this if you could try to direct where to fall. E.g.

> throw self gith s

>throw self templar e
You steady yourself and take aim.

You hurl yourself eastward.
The road [E, W]
A blue robed templar is standing here.

You fly in from the east and hit a blue robed templar in the neck!
A blue robed templar stumbles and falls.

say You just got dropkicked biatch!
The tall, muscular man says in sirihish:
    "You just got dropkicked biatch!"

I'm liking this.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

throw self templar e

You stumble and kick your own neck!

Welcome to Armageddon.

More elves would be raping. No thank you.

It would be pretty amusing to assassinate someone this way, though. You're playing a half giant and fall onto your victim on the road below ...
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I think a command to fall on someone is funny but ultimately silly.

However, a chance to fall on top of the person who led you off the cliff would be awesome. If you follow someone over the brink, you should have a chance to cause them extra damage and reduce your own damage by the same amount.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

It looks like a way to punish those people who lead you across cliffs. Not sure if support.

On one hand, it's realistic and goes along well with the game. But hell, if you're a Byn sergeant accidentally leading a small PC army riding inixes, plus a possible half giant and/or mul off a wall, then there's a pretty big chance of dying.

I remember one RPT where a group of Bynners were jumping climbing down a well. Being the big, heavy tank of the group, the first thing I (OOCly) thought as I was falling was "I really hope I don't land on my skinny sergeant who just fell 3 rooms down."

Not so bad if most of the damage was stun damage, not that you'd need more stun damage after a fall. Also, if you're mounted on a creature and walk off a cliff, the creature should definitely land first, since it was below you.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on April 23, 2011, 03:17:38 PM
It looks like a way to punish those people who lead you across cliffs.

Precisely!
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on April 23, 2011, 04:15:32 PM
Quote from: SMuz on April 23, 2011, 03:17:38 PM
It looks like a way to punish those people who lead you across cliffs.

Precisely!
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Mounts too, if someone leads a caravan off a cliff they should have to bear the weight of a half-dozen beetles and riders.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Because Byn sergeants need more things to kill them.
It's so easy not to try,

Though a rare 10% of the time, you actually do want to jump down a hole. Sometimes even to rescue the person who fell down there earlier. Falling on people should be rare, like 2-8%, unless you actually want to do it.

I remember a time when a certain war-argosy fell off a certain wall landing in a certain part of the Known.  There then proceeded a wait while IMM's went through all PC's and discerned based on different factors of stats, where they were on the war-argosy when it fell and so on and so forth to decide what kind've injuries they sustained from the wreck.  It was fun to see the crew of this expedition RP out broken legs, arms, spikes through their stomachs, sprained wrists, etc.

Since that, I've always felt that whenever someone falls whether it's off a cliff, off the shield wall, into a three-five room drop to land at the bottom, in a pit (you know where I'm talking about)  - some sort've roll of stats and sub-guild (acrobat being awesome for this) should be done in an in game fashion to pick an injury and/or for lucky rolls cause no harm.

But I digress...

As to falling on people - only if you couldn't pick a target.  If I trip and fall, and very very rarely, if ever can I pick where I fall - usually it's face down directly in front of where I was going.  "Throw self templar e", "throw self gith s" would be better suited to the 'throw' command, not a potential fall.

If someone leads you off a cliff, then the percentage of them being fallen upon is high and I'd be in support of a significant stun loss.
After knocking back a mouthful of the contents of a full shot-glass, toking away on a rolled joint directly afterwards you say in desert-accented sirihish:
"They call me Tuber, and my son is Tuber-tot."

Attana is right.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

That's how I imagined it to begin with. As for "throw self" to do awesome flying kicks, I don't see those ninja moves fitting in to the setting.
It's so easy not to try,

Quote from: Mazy on April 23, 2011, 04:14:48 AM
It would be awesome if other characters or NPCs had a small chance to land on people below them when they fall.

I have always thought this was true, and have always had the worry I might get squashed one day by my mount. :-[.  Maybe because of one scene where I was standing at the top of the shield wall, and , from the noise coming up from the bottom, that seemed to have been happening.  RP rulz!