Weapons Breaking?

Started by Trenidor, July 23, 2003, 10:55:59 PM

Now I know that bows will break and such, but if someone fights you, is it possible to break their sword or anything?
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Disarm them, pick up their weapon, and junk it? :)
Maybe wear really hard armor.

besides that, just pray they hit you hard enough to shatter their weapon.

When I first flipped through the help-files, I thought weapons shattering would be a fairly common thing. "Bone and wood weapons? Likely to break in combat, so carry a back-up? Wow, this is something new..."

A few months down the road, I pawned off my back-up. I, personally, would like to see more random things happen in combat, probably including weapons breaking, helmets falling off as a result from a powerful blow to the head, dropping to your knees as a result of a strong torso blow (moving from a standing to sitting position while fighting). And some other stuff, that gives even uber-strong 30+ day warriors something to worry about. Like weapons jarred from your hands if you inflict a lot of damage with it? *Shrug* Maybe I've been playing Arcanum too much... Whatever the case, that's a different thread entirely.

Anyways, in all my Armageddon career, I've never seen a weapon break. However, I've never been too terribly outmatched in combat, and my Armageddon career is rather short compared to others. In other words, I'd assume it happens, but it's rare.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I have seen weapons break before, but in both cases they were sparring weapons.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I've seen sparring weapons break many times.
I've also seen normal weapons break a few times...heh, much to the dismay of the wielder. :lol:
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I've broken ten weapons or so.

It happens a lot more to dwarves/muls/half-giants.

I've lost some nice custom weapons that way. *sniff*
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I once saw a steel shortsword break.  :cry:

Then the person who used it quickly got down on their knees to gather up the pieces. It was pretty cool.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Several months ago I was fighting a halfling and when he hit me on the head with his sword it broke (the sword, not my head).  He was toast after that as he had no other weapon.

Recently, as a dwarf (whose strength is ok, nothing special... for a dwarf) I've had several weapons break during combat.  It kind of pisses you off, especially if it's a decent weapon.  Fortunately this never happened at a critical time.  Also, the materials used for those weapons made sense that they'd break.  So, I carry about four weapons now and I'm kind of selective, carrying a mix of cheap stuff and high quality/ tough material (hopefully) weapons.
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?

I've seen a fair amount of weapons break in my time in Arm... And most of them are the tougher weapons you wouldn't think would break, meh. Only seen one sparring weapon ever break I think.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I'm pretty sure I've broken someone else's weapon on a parry, or they broke their weapon on my parry or whatever.

Otherwise, with this character, human with only above average strength, I've managed to break about... three or four weapons. It really depends on what you're fighting as well. Fleshy = good. Shelly, chitiny = bad.

Strength plays a major role too.
Half-giants are more likely to break their weapon then a human.
And I think certain types are more likely to break due to their construction.

Like the only cases I've had weapon sbreak, I was a fairly strong human it did something like:

Your bludgeon is deflected by (npc's) breastplate.
Your warhammer shatters!

and the other case:
So and so deflects your chop with their sword.
Your axe shatters!

it was kinda sad, but it seemed to be from actually hitting their armor or weapons. I dont think I could shatter a thick obsidian sword by slashing someone's fleshy arm.

Templar brutally stabs person in the head with a steel shortsword.
A steel shortsword shatters!

Basically what happened with the metal weapon I saw break. I don't think it hit armor, and it might have even broken on the killing blow after the person was unconscious.

Was unexpected.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

"Templar brutally stabs person in the head with a steel shortsword.
A steel shortsword shatters!"

Ah, yes. I believe I was there for this.  It was certainly an amusing sight to behold...

Ghardoan

I guess it would be hard to find skilled metalworkers when there is so little metal.  A steel sword isn't necessarily a good quality steel sword, and who would be able to tell on Zalanthas?  

Stick with the stone, wood and bone weapons, those workers know what they are doing. ;)

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Weapons are coded to break on occasion in combat, and will break on a successful hit or on a successful parry, from what I've witnessed. The attacker's weapon may break, or the defender's weapon may break, when in a weapon-breaking parry scenario. Weapons being broken can go either way on a successful parry.

I have no idea what the criteria is for having a weapon break, as I've seen weapons break used by weak characters and strong characters. Weapons break against flesh or chitin, it doesn't really seem to make a difference.

Having a weapon break is generally quite rare. You'll go a RL year without seeing a single weapon break, and then see two or three "breaks" happen in the span of the same day, and then never see it again. It appears unpredictable.

You know, I don't think I've ever actually looked at the calculation which determines breakage of weapons.  It -is- a reasonably rare thing, but this is partly for playability issues.  For a while we've toyed with the thought of giving weapons damage states much like armor, and be repairable to some extent or other, but that project is arduous and a clean way to do it hasn't been well identified.  So it hasn't come to fruition.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Quote from: "Savak"For a while we've toyed with the thought of giving weapons damage states much like armor
I always thought that was coded (for obsidian  swords at least). I've only ever played 5 combat characters in my 51 chars. So when i say "I've never seen a weapon break" it isn't saying much :P