Travel delay, entering and leaving

Started by spawnloser, July 22, 2003, 03:59:24 AM

Adding move delay to entering and leaving?

I agree that this should be done
11 (34.4%)
I think it's fine the way it is
21 (65.6%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: July 29, 2003, 03:59:24 AM

I've noticed that there is no delay leaving and entering any type of building...be it a building, stand, stall, tent, etc etc etc...I've also noticed that some people are spam-walking through places and due to there being no delay, will move through some rooms almost instantaneously, even when, realistically, someone should have some time to interact with them.  Not knowing how movement delay code works...is there a way to incorporate that delay with entering and leaving structures as with normal movement?  If so, what does everyone think of that idea?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Well, most cases it isn't a whole new area. Its a small space within the large area. So if you can leave the large area after the delay, why not the small room and large area in about the same amount of time?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Let's use an example, shall we?

The Sun King's Sanctuary in Tuluk.  The main room is fairly large and the stairs all other exits from it are all the way across the room...if you want to cross that room, someone should have an option to interact with you.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

That is one example I will agree with you on. I hate seeing people enter and go up right away. At least drop one emote on the way. Even with a delay, whats to say people wont still just walk through without any emotes?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

If someone enters and goes up right away, chances are they need to log, and OOCly have no desire to interact with anyone.  As a general rule, RL comes before the game.

I voted yes on this only because I thought the poll was about splitting the delay on movements between rooms to a little delay after you type west but before you move, and an equal amount of delay after you've entered the room.

To the actual inquiry, I'd agree with Rindan.
Back from a long retirement

Simply put, I think this is quibbling.  If someone enters the tavern and goes up, one of two things is happening: 1) They're logging out, in which case they don't want to interact with you, because they have something else to do IRL; 2) They're going up to rest/sleep/whatever, in which case you can go upstairs and interact with them if you really want to.

The movement delay doesn't affect anything to the extent that it would warrant bothering a harried coder to fix.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yeah, I have to agree with Rindan and Synthesis. I'm what one of those naughty spam-movers... Boo! Sometimes I give my characters a list of commands to move because I really, really, -REALLY- need to get out of there. Some pressing RL thing is preventing me from waltzing down the road like I normally do. Sometimes I have to urinate. It happens! Sometimes I have a screaming mother looming over me. It happens! Sometimes I have a party to go to... Okay, that doesn't really happen often...

My point is that when people want to log out, they -want- to log out. It doesn't matter the reason, but they have to go. If some one is rushing to get back to RL, that isn't the time to try and steal their necklace or sell them your sword. I always try and drop a few EMOTEs when I feel like there are other people in the room, but sometimes I just have to get out.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Everyone's assuming that this only applies to people logging out.  Pretend the person leaves the tavern and then immediately moves east or west...anyone standing outside the tavern should have the oppurtunity to interact with them.

I'd say that the best use of this kind of delay would be if it were applied to places that were crowded. It's hard to get out of a building when there's lots of traffic at the doors.