One Small Line of Code for Staff...

Started by quickslash, March 25, 2011, 03:24:33 PM

Do you support the following (example-based) suggestion?

Yes
32 (50.8%)
No
26 (41.3%)
In theory, but not quite how you put it
5 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: April 02, 2011, 03:24:33 PM

Quote from: Yam on March 25, 2011, 08:09:27 PM
It could be if you kept hovering around there.

Just needs hysteresis.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Morgenes on March 26, 2011, 12:06:32 AM
I like the ideas here, but why is this limited to stun?  Why shouldn't all of the 'points' have a similar 'low level' warning and hemote?  Why not a 'You feel pain all over and are nearing death.' message or 'You feel very tired.' or 'Your energy reserves are low' for the others?

Sure. Why not?

As Smuz already said, it could be a useful IC reminder for everyone if they got messages about their characters starting to get tired or starting to look as though they're going to pass out.

For mana, while a low level warning might be good, I'm not sure if a hemote would make a lot of sense. I guess it depends on whether or not someone's mystic reserves are perceivable to the naked eye. If they are, then sure. Give it an hemote as well. I was just always under the impression that they aren't.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Morgenes on March 26, 2011, 12:25:03 AM
Then following that argument we should have an indicator in look or assess that would show their apparent mental fatigue state.

Why is a warning message for stun ok, but not for hp, mana or stamina?

I think there -should- be an indicator if someone is at low stun similar to exhausted. Perhaps "looks faint".

I think having a 'newbie warning' that offers health/stun/move warnings would be alright. I don't really care either way, as others have stated, I have no problem keeping track of my 'points'.

Still, it'd be nice to be able to check out someone's stun status vaguely.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Morgenes on March 26, 2011, 12:06:32 AM
I like the ideas here, but why is this limited to stun?  Why shouldn't all of the 'points' have a similar 'low level' warning and hemote?  Why not a 'You feel pain all over and are nearing death.' message or 'You feel very tired.' or 'Your energy reserves are low' for the others?

You could ultimately replace all numbers with literal descriptors, and through some method obscure the numerical values (like by randomizing or skill-checking how accurate your character's perception of their health is!) How's that for immersion?

Didn't we talk about that once before, and a lot of people hated the idea?

I vote no for the increasing pussification of the game.

If you don't have the presence of mind to watch your stun, don't use the Way.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on March 26, 2011, 01:55:12 AM

QFT

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Nah. You should always know what's going on with your character. You're playing through them. Why shouldn't you know what their state is? A reminder helps to enfore that. It's never IC to pass out because you could't see your stun. You shouldn't ever die because you didn't see your hp was low and you forgot to wear your riding gloves and fall off your mount. These things break immursion and make people not want to play the game, so options should be there to help them.

That said I've never had trouble reading my prompt.

Given the choice, I would say 'Yes' to this - But it isn't something I'm going to go out of my way to fight for.

I say yes because it does have that noob-friendly appeal that gives the gentle reminder that, "Hey - You're about to pass out!" and it could even serve to help a few veteran players out.

How many times have you died after having played a character who had mastered the Way like the back of his/her hand - then rolled a new character and, forgetting your own skill with the Way, almost and/or did knock yourself the hell out? It's embarassing, that's for sure, and it's a mistake our characters wouldn't make - Unless their lives depended on them Waying whatever it is they had to Way, before passing out.

A generic echo to the effect of, 'You feel dizzy', would be pretty sweet.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Malifaxis on March 26, 2011, 01:55:12 AM

And here I thought I'd have a hard time finding a cool-minded, logical counter-point. You and Nyr sure put me in my place.

But like others have said, this isn't that big a deal. I tried.
"In a game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces."

Don't sweat it. There will always be the "don't change it because then it would be different" sentiment no matter what idea is on the table.

This would be one long line of code or several small ones. I'm sorry. I can't support a code change based on a false premise.

Alternative suggestions:
1. Set it up yourself in your client!
2. Look at your prompt!
3. Experiment enough so you know your character's limits!

People knocking themselves from the Way is cool. Don't take that away from the criminal element :)

I like the idea of using it as an RP reminder. Pre-set messages at 70% and 30% or thereabouts to give people reminders.

HP 70%: Pain strong enough to hamper your movement begins to accompany your exertions.
HP 30%: Your mind clouds as a feral instinct for survival kicks in!

Stam 70%: You become conscious of the taxation on your body, aware you have burned your spare energy.
Stam 30%: Every further action requires a concentrated effort as your body demands rest!

Stun 70%: Things briefly go out of focus before your mind retakes control.
Stun 30%: Your mind reels as your vision scatters dizzily about; retaining control takes a concentrated effort!

Maybe you'd rather have a variety of messages for each level. I think it would be nice to have messages like this. It reminds people to pay attention and play their character's condition realistically, without forcing specifics on the player. Having a message that warns you not to knock yourself out with The Way, or that serves as a good baseline for when you should stop sparring/run away, is an added bonus.

I vote yes.

I can't see how your character wouldn't know when he's pushing himself/herself too far. The messages for hp and stamina too sound good to me. I've had more than a few times in RL when I was close to passing out (not from drinking, either) and could definately tell.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: SMuz on March 26, 2011, 12:31:19 AM
You really shouldn't be 'hovering' around the point where you're about to pass out

Heh, that's pretty much my base state IRL  ;)

Other than that, I think I generally support hyzhenhok's version of this proposal the most.  I try not to, but in all honesty I've walked to exhaustion before while grebbing because I -knew- that I had enough left to reach the gates again.  That said, I quite like it when my PCs pass out from the Way, although it can be a bit annoying if nobody robs them or anything.  Think about it.  If you're that mentally fatigued your judgement is going to be waaaay off.  Ever heard a drunk man saying he can easily handle a few more shots?

It could be kinda cool, be I honestly don't give enough of a crap to vote either way.  Where's the 'meh' option?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I dun like it.

When people wind up passing out from fatigue or mental exhaustion etc in real life, they rarely have a sign of it beforehand (referencing things like the amazing passout on dancing with the stars and various other circumstances where people have fallen out). I also agree that if you ARE mentally taxed, your judgement is going to be off. Not to mention, not everyone gets dizzy from trying to concentrate. I've never gotten dizzy from it.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I voted yes as it's a harmless change, and something that sounds like it would be pretty easy to toggle - also seems to be something that will help those who find it hard to keep track of several lines of prompt. Considering that coders have made an accommodation for players' sight in the past (spacing out the room exits, which can be toggled), this idea seems fairly reasonable.

On the other hand this seems like something that could be set up in a decent client (something that supports triggers) easily enough, if it was needed.

Is this something which could be set to trigger with the infobar that someone wrote up for clients? I wish I could recall who offhand, but I'm sure you guys know who I'm talking about. It's a great thing, the infobar, but I need to see my stuff flashing constantly or I forget that I might be exhausted/passing out.
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

I tried to contact dude after reading this.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 26, 2011, 01:51:52 PM
I dun like it.

When people wind up passing out from fatigue or mental exhaustion etc in real life, they rarely have a sign of it beforehand (referencing things like the amazing passout on dancing with the stars and various other circumstances where people have fallen out). I also agree that if you ARE mentally taxed, your judgement is going to be off. Not to mention, not everyone gets dizzy from trying to concentrate. I've never gotten dizzy from it.

I've never heard of anyone passing out from concentrating too hard unless they had some form of medical condition. Waying seems to take a greater toll than simply concentraiting on something.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on March 26, 2011, 08:25:13 PM
I dun like it.

I've never heard of anyone passing out from concentrating too hard unless they had some form of medical condition. Waying seems to take a greater toll than simply concentraiting on something.

Therein lies the issue, though. Waying is not the only thing which takes stun. You also have watching, listening, scanning, some different magicky things, some things with spice, and some things with combat. And to say that ALL of those could/would/should/ought to throw off the same message just because you get to an arbitrary point - to keep people from having to keep track of their own pc's stuff... seems redundant and like a waste of time.

March 26, 2011, 11:33:29 PM #46 Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:35:18 PM by hyzhenhok
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on March 26, 2011, 10:23:33 PM
Quote from: BleakOne on March 26, 2011, 08:25:13 PM
I dun like it.

Therein lies the issue, though. Waying is not the only thing which takes stun. You also have watching, listening, scanning, some different magicky things, some things with spice, and some things with combat. And to say that ALL of those could/would/should/ought to throw off the same message just because you get to an arbitrary point - to keep people from having to keep track of their own pc's stuff... seems redundant and like a waste of time.

Except for the rare occasions where you stack enough spice/magick/constant use skills in such a way that you would get down to the point where you can receive a message, this doesn't really apply to my suggestion.

It's not much different from the "bleeding lightly" or "looks tired" messages, except it's an entirely internal reminder, you can choose to ignore it if it doesn't make sense in that particular situation without worrying about confusing other people.

Hell, there could even be a toggle if you don't want to see it at all.

Why not have it send a message when you stun drops below the threshold, and not echo the message again until your stun raises back above the threshold.

That requires a flag though, which means it isn't a simple line of code like the topic title states which means it almost certainly won't be added until reborn.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Staff have said in the past to please not speculate on how hard something would or would not be to code and stick to the idea itself while they deal with the implementation.

So in the spirit of that, sure why not? It would cut back on the spam.

I love the idea, Spam ahead, spam on, spam alot, I personally think, spammy vs deathy, I'll take spammy everytime.  I find the mantis head spammy.
Malifaxis has UBER board skills