Author Topic: Shit you want Synthesis to explain scientifically.  (Read 60865 times)

Synthesis

Re: Shit you want Synthesis to explain scientifically.
« Reply #450 on: June 11, 2011, 10:59:12 PM »
I've been trying to quit tobacco with the aid of patches for a while now and have finally reached the point where I'm essentially nicotine free.  However, a really nice side effect of the patches seems to be having extremely vivid and memorable lucid dreams every night (so long as there's a patch on my arm.)  Would continuing to wear patches solely while sleeping have any undesirable effects?

Heh, "vivid dreams" is a commonly-cited "adverse effect" of nicotine-replacement patches, but if you actually like it...well...there isn't anything especially toxic about wearing the patch at night, but at that point you have to realize it isn't helping with the smoking cessation, since it's kind of silly to expect to control cravings during a period you're unconscious.  That is, unless you frequently wake up in the middle of the night to smoke, I suppose.

The only problem I can see with it is that it will make it more difficult to taper the nicotine dose down, because the patch at night is an extra dose of nicotine, so the plasma levels won't fall as much, and your neurons won't start to return to a normal physiological state.

So I mean...it's a little counterproductive if your ultimate goal is to wean yourself completely off nicotine.  If your goal is only to quit smoking...*shrug*
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Drayab

• Helper
« Reply #451 on: June 11, 2011, 11:14:52 PM »
Whaaat? If I put on one of these patches, will I get to have vivid dreams, too?

lordcooper

« Reply #452 on: June 11, 2011, 11:22:32 PM »
Thanks Synth :)

I've pretty much eliminated the 'need' to actually smoke already (and carry a few emergency lollipops so there's something to suck on) so I should be safe to keep using patches at night then.  My main concern was that I might be depriving parts of my brain of rest.

@Drayab:  Please don't get hooked on nicotine (or anything else) if you're not already.  Addiction is a bitch, and nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs known to man.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Synthesis

« Reply #453 on: June 12, 2011, 12:17:02 AM »
I'm not sure if nicotine's effect(s) on sleep patterns is well-studied in the context of people who want an effect that would be considered a sleep disturbance for most people.  For general populations, the occurrence of sleep disturbances with the nicotine-replacement patch is a predictor of smoking relapse, but again, I'm not sure that general observation holds true for someone for who the vivid dreams don't constitute a disturbance.  I suppose the best advice would be:  if you feel tired, stop doing it.

jhunter

« Reply #454 on: June 12, 2011, 01:00:46 AM »
Why do men tend to build up fat in their abominal area and women about their hips, thighs and rear?

Ghost

« Reply #455 on: June 12, 2011, 03:02:32 AM »
so syntehesis how come eggplant have nicotine but itdoes not make me as happy has a cigar
some of my posts are serious stuff

Synthesis

« Reply #456 on: June 12, 2011, 10:45:30 PM »
so syntehesis how come eggplant have nicotine but itdoes not make me as happy has a cigar

i dunno have you tried smoking it

lordcooper

« Reply #457 on: June 12, 2011, 10:46:16 PM »
i dunno have you tried smoking it

Ah, SCIENCE  :D
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Synthesis

« Reply #458 on: June 13, 2011, 12:12:40 AM »
Why do men tend to build up fat in their abominal area and women about their hips, thighs and rear?

It mostly seems to be the relative balance of androgens and estrogens.  There are a few mouse models with defective ovaries or estrogen receptors/synthesis, and the female mice end up with a male fat distribution pattern, and if you administer estrogens to male mice, they end up with female fat distribution.

Jingo

« Reply #459 on: June 15, 2011, 04:53:50 PM »
What's mysoline?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Bacon

« Reply #460 on: June 15, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
Is it really impossible to get more energy out of something than the energy put into it? If so, why? Or is it just that nobody has figured out how to do it yet?
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
 ~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Synthesis

« Reply #461 on: June 15, 2011, 05:22:59 PM »
What's mysoline?

Generic name is primidone, an anticonvulsant.

brytta.leofa

« Reply #462 on: June 15, 2011, 05:55:10 PM »
Is it really impossible to get more energy out of something than the energy put into it? If so, why? Or is it just that nobody has figured out how to do it yet?

:-\
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Drayab

• Helper
« Reply #463 on: June 15, 2011, 06:12:56 PM »

You can get more energy out than you put in with an exothermic reaction, like a campire. I think the question you really mean to ask has to do with entropy, i.e. - the second law of thermodynamics. This is the part of physics that rules out things like perpetual motion machines, and yes, the second law seems to hold for any sufficiently closed system, at least up to galactic scales, but there is no guarantee that it holds for the universe as a whole.

BleakOne

« Reply #464 on: June 15, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »
The only proven over-infinity machine I know of is the Dwarven Screw-Pump/Waterwheel Generator. But it's made for !!Science!!.
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Synthesis

« Reply #465 on: June 15, 2011, 06:41:36 PM »

Well, it's a fundamental postulate of physics that so far seems to be holding up.

Barzalene

« Reply #466 on: June 18, 2011, 07:07:45 PM »
How do you know if you're sad or depressed?

If you take Chromium Picolinate which may or may not work how long should you give it to work?

If you take Chromium Picolinate but you find that it makes you feel a little over-caffeinated because generally things like niacin, B12 etc make you feel that way should you keep taking it and see if you adjust and feel less wound up in time?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Synthesis

« Reply #467 on: June 19, 2011, 02:31:00 AM »
How do you know if you're sad or depressed?

If you take Chromium Picolinate which may or may not work how long should you give it to work?

If you take Chromium Picolinate but you find that it makes you feel a little over-caffeinated because generally things like niacin, B12 etc make you feel that way should you keep taking it and see if you adjust and feel less wound up in time?

1.  Sadness is an appropriate response to some adverse life event.  Depression has a pretty long list of criteria for clinical diagnosis, but basically it's depressed mood that isn't congruent with anything going on in your life.  There's also a new-ish category of dysthymia, which is persistently depressed mood that isn't quite so bad to qualify for the MDD diagnosis.  Wikipedia is pretty good for the specific criteria for this stuff...it seems like most of the psych. diagnoses are cut&pasted from the DSM.

2.  Doesn't look like there's a whole lot of evidence for using chromium supplements for anything...and the problem with a lot of the herbal stuff is that it isn't regulated, so there's no telling what's in it.  If it's making you feel caffeinated...there's a pretty good chance that it's because there's some unlabeled stimulant in it.

Thunkkin

« Reply #468 on: June 19, 2011, 09:02:10 PM »
OK, so we all know that those home "test your dna for diseases" kits are pretty much a sham according to various government investigations and sting operations.

That's fine with me, because I'm not really interested in testing my dna for diseases. (Well, I am, but only if it's really accurate, which it isn't, so thanks I'll keep my money).

I AM interested in DNA testing to investigate my ancestors/heritage. Specifically, I'm curious if I carry any of the DNA that is considered a dead give-away for having Jewish ancestry. Some of my ancestors were from eastern Europe and I've had quite a few people over my life either ask me if I'm Jewish (once I was asked if I was Palestinian ...) or assume that I have Jewish ancestry.

I know that quite a bit of the ancestry DNA stuff is either dodgy or just incredibly imprecise. But I've always had the sense that in the case of, say, Ashkenazi Jews, genetic tests can actually be fairly certain (though of course it's possible to have Jewish ancestors whose markers haven't been identified as Jewish yet, etc.).

How would a scientist like yourself go about deciding on whether DNA tests were accurate enough to detect if a person was Ashkenazi (that would probably be my background if I have Jewish ancestors) and how would you manage to pick a testing company that wasn't just peddling BS or going to to try to sell you products for conducting research on your ancestors, etc.?
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

boog

« Reply #469 on: June 19, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »
At least somebody didn't go and ask you if you were a Jew or an Injun to later tell you it was because of your nose.

:( :( :(
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Synthesis

« Reply #470 on: June 20, 2011, 12:02:09 AM »
OK, so we all know that those home "test your dna for diseases" kits are pretty much a sham according to various government investigations and sting operations.

That's fine with me, because I'm not really interested in testing my dna for diseases. (Well, I am, but only if it's really accurate, which it isn't, so thanks I'll keep my money).

I AM interested in DNA testing to investigate my ancestors/heritage. Specifically, I'm curious if I carry any of the DNA that is considered a dead give-away for having Jewish ancestry. Some of my ancestors were from eastern Europe and I've had quite a few people over my life either ask me if I'm Jewish (once I was asked if I was Palestinian ...) or assume that I have Jewish ancestry.

I know that quite a bit of the ancestry DNA stuff is either dodgy or just incredibly imprecise. But I've always had the sense that in the case of, say, Ashkenazi Jews, genetic tests can actually be fairly certain (though of course it's possible to have Jewish ancestors whose markers haven't been identified as Jewish yet, etc.).

How would a scientist like yourself go about deciding on whether DNA tests were accurate enough to detect if a person was Ashkenazi (that would probably be my background if I have Jewish ancestors) and how would you manage to pick a testing company that wasn't just peddling BS or going to to try to sell you products for conducting research on your ancestors, etc.?

1.  There's nothing wrong with the DNA tests for unifactorial or oligofactorial diseases.  If you're carrying a common mutation, or at least a mutation that's tested for, it will pick it up.  The problem is when they use a bunch of markers that either aren't specific or well-studied, and they start playing the correlation game with them.  That's probably the controversy you're talking about.  But for stuff like Tay-Sach's, Gaucher's, and Niemann-Pick...the tests are going to work as well as they possibly can (that is...they won't pick up the 1-in-a-million novel mutation, but you're more concerned about the 1/7-1/8 carrier frequency with something like Gaucher's).

2.  It would all depend on what markers they're using, how many, the database of "known" genotypes they're comparing yours to, and whether they're testing autosomal, Y-chromosomal, or mitochondrial DNA.  The more markers, the better...the more knowns, the better.  Autosomal DNA isn't really useful for anything beyond a generation or two...at that point probably all you'd be able to say with relative certainty is a region (e.g. "northern Europe").  Y-DNA is a little better, but it can only tell you if you recently shared  common ancestor with a known.  Mitochondrial DNA testing is pretty solid, but only if you're a near-perfect match for a known.  If you're a perfect match, that's great...but if your mtDNA is off by even a little, mitochondrial DNA acquires mutations at such a slow rate that even a minor variation from a near-match could put you off by tens of thousands of years, using the "molecular clock" method.

That being said, if you're specifically looking for Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry, there probably isn't a better-studied group, as far as genetic testing is concerned.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #471 on: June 22, 2011, 02:28:05 AM »
Who was more powerful Luke or Anakin?
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Kismetic

« Reply #472 on: June 22, 2011, 02:49:06 AM »

Anakin was conceived by the force, duder.  I think the question you want to ask is:  WTF is a miticlorian?
"Well, Gary, if that even is your real name ...  somebody stole my computer.  Now, if you're a criminal--  Look at me! ... You have to tell me, legally, or else it's considered entrapment."  -- Andy Dwyer

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #473 on: June 22, 2011, 02:51:42 AM »

Anakin was conceived by the force, duder.  I think the question you want to ask is:  WTF is a miticlorian?
That too.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Nao

« Reply #474 on: June 22, 2011, 06:00:38 AM »
-edited-
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:33:55 PM by Nao »
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"