Author Topic: Shit you want Synthesis to explain scientifically.  (Read 60882 times)

boog

Re: Shit you want Synthesis to explain scientifically.
« Reply #425 on: June 07, 2011, 11:57:02 PM »
I've always heard it was #2. Manboog didn't find big boobies all that enticing. TIL HE MET ME.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #426 on: June 08, 2011, 07:11:26 AM »
Speaking of milk: Why does a glass of milk taste so good after eating cakes and cookies?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #427 on: June 08, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »
Because they are so dry it makes you thirsty.

lordcooper

« Reply #428 on: June 08, 2011, 01:18:56 PM »
Why do men have nipples?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

manipura

« Reply #429 on: June 08, 2011, 01:27:02 PM »
Oh!  I know, I know!  Because breast development begins before the sex of the baby is determined?  I think...someone back me up on that one...or tell me how wrong I am...*laughs*

manipura

« Reply #430 on: June 08, 2011, 01:30:44 PM »
Oh, and Synthesis, don't think that I'm here in your thread to steal your glory...I quite like scientific stuff, explaining it isn't necessarily my forté though...besides spirulina and nipples, I don't know what else I could try to explain in this thread...

Bilanthri

« Reply #431 on: June 08, 2011, 01:40:32 PM »
Oh, and Synthesis, don't think that I'm here in your thread to steal your glory...I quite like scientific stuff, explaining it isn't necessarily my forté though...besides spirulina and nipples, I don't know what else I could try to explain in this thread...

I, too, am drawn to the explanation of science (see "How Rainbows Are Made"), and I've found that Synth is very magnanimous about his thread. Just watch his toes on the health/biology questions  ;)
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

Synthesis

« Reply #432 on: June 08, 2011, 02:10:39 PM »
Why do men have nipples?

Functionally, it's because the developmental processes that give rise to nipples are more or less identical between males and females.

Evolutionarily, it's probably because there's no compelling reason for such separate developmental processes to have formed, combined with the fact that nipples form very early in development (~4 weeks), and mutations that monkey around with the processes occurring during that period are fatal to the embryo, more often than not.  The processes that give rise to sex-based differences in breast tissue are largely the result of a program that's separate from the nipple development program.

Incidentally, it is possible to be born without nipples (athelia) or to have supernumerary nipples all along the mammary crest.  Presumably, if either of these conditions resulted from heritable genetic anomalies, and conferred a reproductive advantage, they would be selected for and become relatively more common, but as it stands, they aren't.  I suppose that, given enough time, male nipples could disappear...but I'm really hoping that evolution will get to working on the back hair and scrotum problems, first.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

lordcooper

« Reply #433 on: June 08, 2011, 06:10:51 PM »
Is ice wet?

Bilanthri

« Reply #434 on: June 08, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »
Is ice wet?

No, ice is dry. In fact, an icy surface is not really even very slippery. However, when pressure is applied, for instance from your foot or the tire of a car, the melting point of the ice drops, which creates a thin film of liquid water on the surface. It's the thin layer of liquid that makes it slippery. So called "dry ice" gets its name from the fact that it sublimates at room temperature and pressure. Sublimation is the change of state from solid to gas without going through the liquid state, therefore, dry ice is never wet.

Edit: Damn, I love physics.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:26:28 PM by Bilanthri »
"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."
- Samuel Clemens

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #435 on: June 08, 2011, 11:32:20 PM »
Why do whales have hips?
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Synthesis

« Reply #436 on: June 09, 2011, 12:39:04 AM »
Why do whales have hips?

Well...they don't really have hips.  They do have rudimentary/vestigial pelvic bones that, if they remain functional at all, are probably adapted to swimming or somesuch, I imagine.

As to the 'why' bit, you can't really give a good scientific answer to those sorts of things.  You can speculate about evolutionary driving forces and mechanisms of adaptation and all that, but really...it's pretty much just guessing.  My best guess is that it's pretty difficult to entirely get rid of a genetic developmental program once it's there, so when certain appendages are no longer useful, decreasing size/functionality is selected for until all that's left is a homologous/vestigial structure.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #437 on: June 09, 2011, 10:44:10 PM »
Does this seem well tested? http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1Dl3sm/www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Dec10/BemStudy.html

Looks pretty darn interesting.

Synthesis

« Reply #438 on: June 09, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
no

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #439 on: June 10, 2011, 12:13:22 AM »
Lol
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Nao

« Reply #440 on: June 10, 2011, 06:39:28 AM »
Is ice wet?

No, ice is dry. In fact, an icy surface is not really even very slippery. However, when pressure is applied, for instance from your foot or the tire of a car, the melting point of the ice drops, which creates a thin film of liquid water on the surface. It's the thin layer of liquid that makes it slippery.
This is not true. I'm not sure why ice is slippery or whether or not anyone knows. It is definitely not the melting point, though. Even on ice skates, with your weight distributed on a pretty small area and a much higher pressuer than you'r get on normal boots, the melting point goes down less than a degree Celsius. You wouldn't be able to skate or slip on ice at temperatures further below the melting point.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Bilanthri

« Reply #441 on: June 10, 2011, 01:26:28 PM »
Is ice wet?

No, ice is dry. In fact, an icy surface is not really even very slippery. However, when pressure is applied, for instance from your foot or the tire of a car, the melting point of the ice drops, which creates a thin film of liquid water on the surface. It's the thin layer of liquid that makes it slippery.
This is not true. I'm not sure why ice is slippery or whether or not anyone knows. It is definitely not the melting point, though. Even on ice skates, with your weight distributed on a pretty small area and a much higher pressuer than you'r get on normal boots, the melting point goes down less than a degree Celsius. You wouldn't be able to skate or slip on ice at temperatures further below the melting point.

After looking into it further I see that there have been studies showing the accepted reason is wrong. I should go ask for my money back from all those physics classes as, clearly, they were just tossing out lies and misdirections.

However:

"We found the friction of ice to be very high," Dr. Salmeron said. That is, ice is not really that slippery, after all.

Dr. Salmeron said that this finding indicates that while the top layer of ice may be liquid, it is too thin to contribute much to slipperiness except near the melting temperature. In his view, friction is the primary reason ice is slippery. (The microscope tip was so small that its friction melted only a tiny bit of water, which immediately refroze and therefore did not provide the usual lubrication, he said.)

Dr. Salmeron concedes, however, that he cannot definitively prove that his view is the correct one.

"It's amazing," he said. "We're in 2006, and we're still talking about this thing."

(excerpt from http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/21/science/21ice.html?pagewanted=1)
---

So, while my explanation for why it is slippery might not necessarily be the entire answer, the fact remains that ice is not inherently slippery, nor wet.

Edit: In the future, when discounting someone, it might be beneficial to say more than, "No, you're wrong, but I don't know why". It took me all of 3 minutes to find this article on the friction study.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:43:46 PM by Bilanthri »
- Samuel Clemens

Nao

« Reply #442 on: June 10, 2011, 04:43:39 PM »
Edit: In the future, when discounting someone, it might be beneficial to say more than, "No, you're wrong, but I don't know why". It took me all of 3 minutes to find this article on the friction study.
I explained why you're wrong, just not what's the correct explanation. The article says "Eh, could be this, or that, or a combination of the two" but they aren't really sure, either.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Bilanthri

« Reply #443 on: June 10, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »
I explained why you're wrong, just not what's the correct explanation. The article says "Eh, could be this, or that, or a combination of the two" but they aren't really sure, either.

You're absolutely right that the article states uncertainty on the matter.

My point is that, in declaring my explanation false, you fail to make a distinction between the true and valid parts of my post, and the, once accepted but now disputed, reasoning that follows.

True: Ice is dry.
True: Ice is not inherently slippery.

Still in Debate: What causes ice to become slippery.

My answer was being taught in college physics classes less than ten years ago, and has clearly not been fully routed by more valid explanations, but I am perfectly open to looking into the matter further. The scientist who did the afore mentioned study admits that there is a state change due to pressure, but that he does not believe it to be the overall cause of the increase in slickness.

I find your denouncement to be one-sided and uninformative.
- Samuel Clemens

Bilanthri

« Reply #444 on: June 10, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »
Synth,

Can you explain the recent-ish findings on impulsive behavior and brain maturation. I read that the brain's ability to resist emotional impulse does not fully develop until the very early 20's, though I can't remember where I read it.

Edit: I think this would partially explain why I hacked my step-father's fiberglass truck canopy with a machete but then had no answer when asked why.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:32:26 PM by Bilanthri »
- Samuel Clemens

BleakOne

« Reply #445 on: June 10, 2011, 06:43:42 PM »
Edit: I think this would partially explain why I hacked my step-father's fiberglass truck canopy with a machete but then had no answer when asked why.

You were trying to skin it for its shell?
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #446 on: June 10, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
skin truck
You ineptly hack a white, crew-cab pick-up truck to pieces.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

boog

« Reply #447 on: June 10, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »
Synth,

Can you explain the recent-ish findings on impulsive behavior and brain maturation. I read that the brain's ability to resist emotional impulse does not fully develop until the very early 20's, though I can't remember where I read it.

Just to preface Synth, here, your frontal lobe finally like, matures, when you're 21-25ish.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Synthesis

« Reply #448 on: June 11, 2011, 12:24:33 AM »
Synth,

Just to preface Synth, here, your frontal lobe finally like, matures, when you're 21-25ish.

Yeah, something like that.  I vaguely seem to recall it has something to do with myelination of the neurons there, but I don't really feel like looking up the specifics right now, since I've been studying-ish all day.

lordcooper

« Reply #449 on: June 11, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »
I've been trying to quit tobacco with the aid of patches for a while now and have finally reached the point where I'm essentially nicotine free.  However, a really nice side effect of the patches seems to be having extremely vivid and memorable lucid dreams every night (so long as there's a patch on my arm.)  Would continuing to wear patches solely while sleeping have any undesirable effects?